how do I get cigarette smoke out from interior - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > how do I get cigarette smoke out from interior

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-04-2013, 10:35 PM   #61
frnkfenderbendr

Be wary of smelly artificial products covering up one toxin with another.
Vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, and baking soda -- as on cat pee carpets -- is perfect, but it requires surface access.
I think your best way to track down all smoke is to act like smoke.
Rent an ozone generator.
Ozone kills bacteria, mildew, mold, and fungus, and most viruses.
O3 ought be avoided while it does its job.
With windows up, it will send ozone everywhere the smoke ever went.
Leave the generator on for about 4-6 hours.
House smoke restoration teams use them, as do many car upholstry rejuvenation shops.
It also drives out rodents and insects.
It is great for freshening up your home as well.
Let air afterwards for 1-2 hours.
We got a no-nonsense one, ForeverOzone Solid Oak Cabinet 3600 mg/h Ozone Generator (model OG-3600) for $229.99 at Ozone Generator USA LLC foreverozoneDOTcom.
Good luck!

frnkfenderbendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 06:07 AM   #62
luckydiana
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just felt the need to add my 2cents - I figure someone else is gonna have the same problem sometime!
The stink wasn't in my YJ, but I got the cig stink out of an Infinity last year and it's still odorless!
1. Clean all the glass and any hard surfaces
2. Vacuum everything else
3. Make sure to dump that ashtray
4. Put a bowl of fresh coffee grounds inside with top up, all windows sealed/closed. Leave the grounds in there for at least 48 hours.
No more smell!
luckydiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 06:21 AM   #63
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnkfenderbendr View Post
Be wary of smelly artificial products covering up one toxin with another.
Vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, and baking soda -- as on cat pee carpets -- is perfect, but it requires surface access.
I think your best way to track down all smoke is to act like smoke.
Rent an ozone generator.
Ozone kills bacteria, mildew, mold, and fungus, and most viruses.
O3 ought be avoided while it does its job.
With windows up, it will send ozone everywhere the smoke ever went.
Leave the generator on for about 4-6 hours.
House smoke restoration teams use them, as do many car upholstry rejuvenation shops.
It also drives out rodents and insects.
It is great for freshening up your home as well.
Let air afterwards for 1-2 hours.
We got a no-nonsense one, ForeverOzone Solid Oak Cabinet 3600 mg/h Ozone Generator (model OG-3600) for $229.99 at Ozone Generator USA LLC foreverozoneDOTcom.
Good luck!
Ozone generators are great for odors, but use caution when using in the house, too high a concentration of ozone can cause respiratory problems.
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #64
frnkfenderbendr

Agreed and why I stated, but maybe not enough, that "O3 ought be avoided while it does its job".
You always:
(1) block off exits in the house/car before running the generator;
(2) leave the house/car when you have the generator running;
(3) let the house/car air out before entering for any sustained periods of time.
It's not a poison; it's just a gas form, but one that is not what we were intended to breathe.
Smelling or breathing it in is not toxic, but sustained breathing, as with pure oxygen, is to be avoided.
How to plan ahead so that is a non-issue:
(1) rig up the plug for the generator so that it is easily accessible, so you can quickly turn it off, leave for the airing out (wherein the O3 breaks down to O2);
(2) rig up a cheap timer so that it will turn off the generator 3 hours before you return.
The residual smell is like that left by lightning....
The manufacturer I offered has instructions and such for proper use.

Cigarettes have their own stench aside from their smoke, so the folks that suggest cleaning surfaces, vacuuming, and scrubbing are all on spot as well. Imagine what stench is in the lungs and flesh of the smoker. Whew!
frnkfenderbendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #65
SheLikesItDirty

Citrus Magic fixes everything!!!
SheLikesItDirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #66
Habber

Update: I sold the TJ! Looking at getting a JK soon enough. Thanks boys!

Jeep TJ 2001 4.0 5MT
Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #67
compy_386

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydiana View Post
Just felt the need to add my 2cents - I figure someone else is gonna have the same problem sometime!
The stink wasn't in my YJ, but I got the cig stink out of an Infinity last year and it's still odorless!
1. Clean all the glass and any hard surfaces
2. Vacuum everything else
3. Make sure to dump that ashtray
4. Put a bowl of fresh coffee grounds inside with top up, all windows sealed/closed. Leave the grounds in there for at least 48 hours.
No more smell!
I did this without the coffee. I bought my Chevy K2500 from a "hot box" (smoked with windows up) smoker and it smelled like the inside of a Marlboro. After cleaning all washable surfaces and throwing away the stinky seat covers I turned the heater on full recirculate and fogged the inside of the truck with Fabreeze. It sucked the Fabreeze through the ducts where normal cleaning can't get and it really helped. I had to do it a few times but now it smells MUCH better. I Fabreezed the mouse fur headliner but I'm not sure how to clean it without damaging it so I left it alone.

It went from eye watering to a mild aroma (like a gentlemen's study).
compy_386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 03:33 AM   #68
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compy_386

I did this without the coffee. I bought my Chevy K2500 from a "hot box" (smoked with windows up) smoker and it smelled like the inside of a Marlboro. After cleaning all washable surfaces and throwing away the stinky seat covers I turned the heater on full recirculate and fogged the inside of the truck with Fabreeze. It sucked the Fabreeze through the ducts where normal cleaning can't get and it really helped. I had to do it a few times but now it smells MUCH better. I Fabreezed the mouse fur headliner but I'm not sure how to clean it without damaging it so I left it alone.

It went from eye watering to a mild aroma (like a gentlemen's study).
Who the **** hot boxes a car with tobacco...
Word to the wise I "cleaned" my headliner because it was discolored from cig smoke, now it bubble sags when it's humid out.
me: yaaaaa.
bobthecatkiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.