how do I get cigarette smoke out from interior - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > how do I get cigarette smoke out from interior

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 08-01-2013, 08:10 AM   #46
spooky1

also franky some of old guys love the new leather spray! it reminds of a new 4x4, however younger guys ,,,, it reminds them of a leather skirt! lol

spooky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 08:12 AM   #47
Elias4WDCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGoat78 View Post
I've heard that you should also remove the dash panels and clean the backs and underneath them. That stink has worked its way into every nook, cranny and seam in the Jeep and until you get it all the smell will remain. Best of luck.
I have been going through the interior of my XJ and the back of those panels were covered in layers of nicotine and tar.

I'm a smoker, and I was grossed out. I cleaned it up easily.

~Mike
98 XJ
Sales, Service & Installation - Suspension, Accessories, Wheels and Tires, Recovery Gear, Bumpers. WE SET UP AXLES, GEARS and LOCKERS. (And we'll work on your mother-in-law's Honda so you can wrench on your Jeep!) 978-597-8432 Mon - Thurs, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Townsend, MA. Tell us Jeep Forum sent you!
Elias4WDCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 08:18 AM   #48
threebicks
2004 WJ 

There is no silver bullet for car smells...

In most cases the upholstery will have physical cigarette-related material (tar) that really should be removed to fully kill the odor. Odor eating products, vinegar, apples , or whatever will work... but only to an extent. I find that you can get a weird mix of smells because the tar,etc still remains. I rented one of those rug doctors carpet cleaners with the upholstery attachment. (http://www.rugdoctor.com) for about $20. I sucked up a disgusting amount of 'black stuff' from the driverside headliner and most of the seats. This was barely noticeable on my grey interior. In the end, that seemed to do the trick. Of course every car and its smells (including cigarette smoke) will be different. Sometimes it is a mystery and even taking extreme measures like pulling off paneling won't do it. Reminds me of that Seinfeld episode with the valet with "beyond b.o" who permanently stinks up Jerry's car.
threebicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #49
robtco99
2001 XJ Cherokee 

The bowls of vinegar sitting overnight work pretty well. I had a car that I traded for that reeked like cigarettes. I cleaned the seats and carpet with that spray foam interior cleaner you buy from the parts store, wiped the dash and all the trim, and it still smelled like cigarettes. I left two bowls of vinegar sit for a couple of days on the floorboard and the cigarette smell was gone. The vinegar smell left after a couple of days.
Unread 08-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #50
wj_brillo
1999 WJ 

pull the carpet and seat covers. shampoo the carpet/seat covers, rinse well, let air dry. That's if all the other suggestions didn't get it done for you, good luck!
wj_brillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 10:43 AM   #51
jimmyjeepster
2003 XJ Cherokee 

Windex, it will take the stains and smells out of everything and does not fade interior. i uses it on stains on my tan interior. im a truck mechanic and grease in my vehicle is nothing new, spray windex on it and wipe with rag and tada like new.
jimmyjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 11:31 AM   #52
Scottphoto1

Go to a self serve car wash. Take the drain plugs out turn it on "Soap" and have at it! Don't spray the dash.... but everything else.... IT's a JEEP, that's what it is made for. Than put it on "High power rinse"
Scottphoto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #53
XJNKY
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Don't forget to clean the glass. I'm not sure if the tar holds smell or not, but I've seen cars before where you could scrape it off the glass with a razor blade.
XJNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #54
haulincamp
1996 ZJ 

I had a coworker that did carpet cleaning on the side and he sweared by a commercial grade cleaner called SnapEncap. Anyway I use it for the carpets in the house with a rug doctor and mix a stronger concentration for spot removing and auto carpet and upholstery cleaning with the shop vac. It can be found a www.snapencap.com and a gallon goes a long ways.

Newbe to the forum but not Jeeps, we just took ownership of a stalling(fixed w/ cleaning PCM plug) 96 zj for my kid. PO (mother inlaw) used like a garbage truck and this is next on the list after spending 2hrs to just to vacuum it out and couple more with a bucket of simple green.

Also love the ozonator for getting rid of the swampy A/C smell in the vents but agree it doesn't do anything to remove the smokers tar left behind.
haulincamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #55
gcdaz
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I had this same problem when I bought a Nissan Frontier from a dealer's Ebay ad. They didn't tell me it had belonged to a smoker, and I didn't think to ask. I didn't even really notice the smell, but my wife is highly allergic and couldn't sit in it without breaking out in hives. So she said fix it or sell it. I had it treated with ozone by a professional detailer. They blocked potential air leaks from outside, then filled the inside with ozone and left it overnight. Theoretically, the ozone penetrates upholstery, gets into all the vents, etc. It worked great! My wife could at least ride in the truck and we couldn't smell the smoke. (Yes, it was an expensive lesson, but I've had the truck for about 8 years, so I got my money's worth.)
gcdaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #56
Glockem

2008 JK Wrangler 

Smoke Smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post
Hi Guys,

I just picked up a 2001 TJ Sport but the guy who had it before me must have ignored the surgeon general and smoked 3 packs a day in this car. How do I get the smell out? Do I need to get it cleaned professionally, or are there any tricks out there?

THanks
Hi Hadder, Have you heard about a product named "DRY WASH N GUARD"? One of their products is, "Fabric and Upholstery Cleaner". Spray on and wipe off! I use it not only on cigarette smell in autos, it will remove (remove) any nasty smell from vehicles. One of my challenges was a a car that the gallon of milk spilled in the back seat. The car was parked and locked up for a week. Talk about a disgusting smell! Another was a car that the customer had placed a Styrofoam container of shell fish in his trunk drove from FL to NY, discovered it, and tried to clean it. The SMELL got revolting. I was able to eliminate the smells from these cars completely. Awesome stuff! Google it. Good luck.
Unread 08-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #57
Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockem

Hi Hadder, Have you heard about a product named "DRY WASH N GUARD"? One of their products is, "Fabric and Upholstery Cleaner". Spray on and wipe off! I use it not only on cigarette smell in autos, it will remove (remove) any nasty smell from vehicles. One of my challenges was a a car that the gallon of milk spilled in the back seat. The car was parked and locked up for a week. Talk about a disgusting smell! Another was a car that the customer had placed a Styrofoam container of shell fish in his trunk drove from FL to NY, discovered it, and tried to clean it. The SMELL got revolting. I was able to eliminate the smells from these cars completely. Awesome stuff! Google it. Good luck.
Very good input. Will check that out for sure. To date, I sent it to get professionally cleaned and it helped a lot. I still have a small linger of smoke smell but I might take you up on the wash and guard.

Thanks

Jeep TJ 2001 4.0 5MT
Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #58
Spud100
1999 TJ Wrangler 

When I bought mine the interior smelled like wet dog. I took it to a detailer. $60 and two hours later problem solved.
Spud100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #59
PReinie
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Be careful with the air ionizers. Sharper Image had these fresh air devices that essentially ionized the air and people have reported it deteriorates rubber. The specific issue was phonograph turntable, cassette players, etc rubber belts. (I was reading about that back in the '90s or early 2000's.)

Do you know of any rubber in your Jeep? Let's say door, sunroof, hatch seals? Hoses, belts, any device seals? Who knows, maybe something under the hood? ;-)

I'm not sure if it affects vinyl or plastic, but it does indirectly make the grass green. (Something about ionization from lightning producing nitrogen which is a primary ingredient in fertilizer.)

I checked out festerw's link for Big D's product and that sounds the best. Big D makes another deodorizer too which helps with cigarette smoke and many other scents. (I was considering one for our dirt crawlspace but supposedly it has a bubblegum smell, which I don't think I would like any more than the musty/mold smell. Sorry, that last bit should be different thread on a different web site.)
PReinie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2013, 10:07 PM   #60
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

My Jeep was literally an ashtray when I got it. Butts everywhere, ash everywhere, in the seats, in the vents, behind the dash board, in the cargo area....it really helped my haggling, though.

First I took off any dash parts that were relatively easy to remove. Then I took a soft bottle brush and an air compressor and blew out any dust I could, loosening up what I could reach with the brush. Then I washed all of those dash parts.
I sprayed and scrubbed anything cloth or carpet with Blue Coral, let it dry, vacuumed it, dumped a bunch of that baking soda carpet fresh stuff everywhere, let it sit over night, vacuumed it again, cleaned the windows, cleaned all the trim with simple green with a brush (diluted), followed that up with a treatment of 303 Aerospace protectant, use it on those dash parts too before you put them back in.

Then I turned it on, put the vents on full blast, and sprayed like half a can of Ozium in the Jeep and let it run for maybe 15 minutes, changing the vent settings every few minutes.
Then a couple more normal uses of the Ozium and well, now it really doesn't smell like anything at all.
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.