how do I get cigarette smoke out from interior - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > how do I get cigarette smoke out from interior

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 05-28-2013, 01:33 PM   #16
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Cigars

Unread 06-02-2013, 07:20 AM   #17
bleeb3011

Buy a product called ozium its great stuff. Hardware stores or auto parts stores will have it
bleeb3011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #18
gt3745a

Citrus Magic solid air fresheners are awesome for this. They have them at WMT in the auto set.
gt3745a is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 03:44 PM   #19
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Wipe all the surfaces down with the vinegar and water solution. Clean any fabric surfaces with a fabric cleaner. Throw a couple a bags of kitty litter with chlorophyll all over the inside of your Jeep. It absorbs odors real well.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 03:44 PM   #20
Wrangler_91
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Dryer sheets. Cheap and effective. Just stick one under the seat and one in the ash tray. I had a f-150 that had a bad smoke smell when I bought it. Used the dryer sheets, a month later a friend of mine who is very sensitive to cig smoke rode with me and never even noticed. I told him later that day and he was surprised.
Wrangler_91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 05:25 PM   #21
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

1. Make sure the ash tray is empty.
2. Change your air filter.
3. Pickup some BG Frigi Fresh, cleans your HVAC system and should really help with residual odor in the duct work.
4. Water/vinegar mixture like others have said, but don't just hit the upholstery, the smell will stick to plastic and the glass too.
5. If it's still bad dump baking soda all over the carpet and seat and leave it there for a few hours then vacuum it out.

That should do the trick in most cases, but if it's really bad you can always do an ozone shock treatment. You can usually rent an ozone generator for about $75 a day. You basically hook dryer hose to it and run it in a window and then seal the rest of the window and it pumps ozone into the car and literally destroys what creates odor.
Unread 07-30-2013, 09:20 AM   #22
71charger_fan
2013 JK Wrangler 

Definitely pull the interior panels and clean the backs. That, and replacing the headliner and carpet, are what finally killed that funk in my '71 Charger.
71charger_fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 10:58 AM   #23
cecoen

IMO, you are wasting your time with ozone and smell good stuff. Baking soda works but takes a long time and multiple treatments but it is really inexpensive. If you can be without your rig for a week, the absolute best way to rid your car of smells is a pressure washer. Pull the seats and carpet, unplug the battery and spray degreaser on everything and blast away. I mean everything, dash, roll bar pads, inside of the top, under the dash, ect. You will not hurt it. Take the seats and carpet and lay them out or stand them up and degrease and blast them too. And I mean blast like you are cleaning your driveway. Back and forth motions with overlaping strokes like you are painting. You will be amazed/disgusted with the colors that will run out of the bottom of your seats and carpet. Place in sun for a few days and re-install. Will smell like new. You can chase under the dash with a wd40 type product if you want to help rid the moisture and relubricate some of the moving parts you just degreased. When dry, wipe entire interior with some plastic/rubber stuff to replenish the surfaces you just stripped. Also, do not leave degreaser on plastic surfaces for long as you could remove some color (and armorall won't bring it back) I do it all the time. Good luck.
cecoen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 12:27 PM   #24
paulandcarollib
2006 KJ Liberty 

My detailer grandson said use a degreaser, such as Simple Green,full strength in a spray bottle. Brush it in, spray extra plain water and shop vac up the whole mess. As much as you can, everywhere. Even under the dash, inside the ducts if possible. I used this process in a car where the P.O. (daughter in law) smoked with the windows up and let the butts pile up in the ashtray. The smell was all gone.
OME springs, RRO UCA, Rancho shocks, custom front winch mount with 8k smittybilt and in cab controls, 100w HF cheapo driving lights(go ahead, steal them) custom roof rack, factory skids and DIY 6 mount arm rock rails.
paulandcarollib is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #25
Habber

I'm shocked it all worked out. Lots of good suggestions. Thanks.

Jeep TJ 2001 4.0 5MT
Habber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 03:58 PM   #26
sQuashed
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGoat78 View Post
I've heard that you should also remove the dash panels and clean the backs and underneath them. That stink has worked its way into every nook, cranny and seam in the Jeep and until you get it all the smell will remain. Best of luck.
This !!

I bought my dad's Ranger a few years back and it was impossible to get it all out with any traditional cleaning... it was terrible, named the truck "stink-azz".

The stink was in the vents/dash/ everywhere !!

lol..just relized what a creeper I am...Member since 2007, 1 post Jeez !
sQuashed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 09:44 AM   #27
mefly2
2006 TJ Wrangler 

It will likely depend upon the sensitivity of your nose. For me, it is nearly impossible to get all of the smoking smell/ residue out of the upholstery foam and I have sold several vehicles because of that. They smelled OK at the time of purchase (even the corrosion of the ashtray was hidden), but over time the smell lingered and seeped out. The professionals use an ozonator, but the ozone also oxidizes all of the plastic/rubber in the car and shortens the life of those affected parts.

It is easy to mask the odor in the short run, but eliminating it for the long haul ...well, that is up to your nose. Every time the vehicle gets out in the sun or otherwise heated up ... or the A/C ... well, you get the idea. gaak
Unread 07-31-2013, 10:32 AM   #28
cecoen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
It will likely depend upon the sensitivity of your nose. For me, it is nearly impossible to get all of the smoking smell/ residue out of the upholstery foam and I have sold several vehicles because of that. They smelled OK at the time of purchase (even the corrosion of the ashtray was hidden), but over time the smell lingered and seeped out. The professionals use an ozonator, but the ozone also oxidizes all of the plastic/rubber in the car and shortens the life of those affected parts.

It is easy to mask the odor in the short run, but eliminating it for the long haul ...well, that is up to your nose. Every time the vehicle gets out in the sun or otherwise heated up ... or the A/C ... well, you get the idea. gaak
But I am telling you guys, run enough water and degreaser or really strong soap through the upholstery, foam, brackets, carpet, backing, ect, and it goes away FOREVER. It is not masked it is gone. Clean reboot. There is no other way to rid all the different materials of something that has essentially been fog bombed and allowed to settle on the inside of a car. You have to run gallons upon gallons of soap and water through it and then it is truly clean.

And when done (and completely dry<---**very important**) even on the hottest day with a closed up car there will be no smell. And if you are sensitive like me, you will be amazed what other smells you can discern once the over powering old smokey hotel room smell is gone. You can pick up mechanicy smells or new water leak smells almost immediately when there is nothing blocking your senses.

Sounds crazy, but I promise it works.
cecoen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 10:39 AM   #29
mefly2
2006 TJ Wrangler 

As I said, it depends upon your nose. The nose Knows ... no argument. YMMV; at 65 years old, I have tried everything and I mean everything to get rid of smoking residue. No offense intended, but you cannot eliminate deeply imbedded residue from anything by soap and water alone. Solvents, yes; but not soap and water. The solvents cause their own problems just as does ozone. Forever is a long time!
Unread 07-31-2013, 11:42 AM   #30
habbyguy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

When I bought my XJ, the inside smelled like an ashtray. Really, really nasty. And I didn't have the option of pressure-washing the cloth interior. So here's what I did...

Vacuumed everything I could get to. Really well. The more particulate stuff you can suck out of the upholstery, the better.

Turned on the vents full blast and used compressed air to "loosen stuff up" inside the ductwork.

Used liberal amounts of Fabreze on everything.

And most important - parked it in a garage with the two (hey, it's a two-door) windows down, with a big box fan blowing into one window. I left it that way for days on end, and every time I parked it. Just moving cubic miles of fresh air through the interior will do wonders for the smell.
habbyguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.