Homemade Shorty Bumper: - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Homemade Shorty Bumper:

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 07-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
LV2DRFT
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Homemade Shorty Bumper:

Under the advice of Cowboyup94, I decided to shorten my factory bumper on my TJ after it had gotten bent beyond repair.

All you NEED to do this is a hand held saw with a metal cutting blade... but some leftover bondo and a can of rusto bedliner spray makes it look better.

It took me about 2 hours of strenuous hard work (an inch at a time), but I was able to cut through the bumper. Just keep going and get your line straight. Cut just to the outside of the bolts beside the square supports. If you want it to look more like it belongs there, mount the bumper back in, and hit the corners with some bondo. 120 grit sand them smooth, then scuff the whole thing up and hit it with a can of bedliner spray (I have duplicolor roll on in the picture, but if I could go back and do it again, I'd use rustoleum bedliner spray)

LV2DRFT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #2
ForestJeep89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

ForestJeep89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #3
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Looks better that way :P
The_Goob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2013, 07:48 AM   #4
wfochris
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Good lord do yourself a favor and get an angle grinder!

This is the first mod I do to my jeeps too.
Unread 07-27-2013, 02:14 AM   #5
LV2DRFT
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfochris View Post
Good lord do yourself a favor and get an angle grinder!
Well then it wouldn't be quite as cheap of a trick then would it... but really, I have no excuse not to have an angle grinder... that and a welder, oh the possibilities would be endless... but hey, if you can do it with everyday hand tools why not!
LV2DRFT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.