High Lift Jack Mounting Location - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > High Lift Jack Mounting Location

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-03-2006, 10:39 PM   #46
Lundy

For any XJ owners (possibly Grand Cherokee owners as well), a 48" hi-Lift will fit nicely across the backside of the rear seat. I took the 4xRac that Hi-Lift sells and bolted them to the rear of the backrest. Then just use the wingnuts to secure the jack, and use a handle keeper to keep the rattling down. Very solid, no interference with raising or lowering the seatback, and looks like it was meant to be there. PM me if you want to see a picture, otherwise I'm too lazy to go out take pictures and figure out how to load it into this computer.

Lundy

Lundy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2006, 11:21 AM   #47
dell2028
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I like Santo's idea. Might try to start it this weekend or maybe tonight.

95 YJ, D30/8.8 w/ 4.88s, SOA, 35x14.50x16.5 Pit Bull Mud Dawgs, 101" Wheelbase, Custom Front Bumper, Winch, Custom Rear Tow Points, Traction Bar, Aussie Locker in front, 20 Gal. Gas Tank modification, Hurculiner Tub, Custom Rear Bumper, SYE and CV shaft, BTF Cross-over Steering, RCI 2191 fuel cell, BTF Rockers, RE 1.5" SOA springs up front and XJ springs in the rear

Down the line a bit...engine swap, the list goes on.
dell2028 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2006, 12:46 AM   #48
NoktrnalJeep13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_Jeep
Off topic, sorry.

JD, to give you a very rough estimate of the forces involved in a high speed crash, just mentally reverse the things that are moving.

Let me try to explain. Envision the Jeep is stopped, and the things inside almost instantly accelerated to 65 mph.

When evaluating a tie-down, envision the item you are tying down being HIT by an object moving 65mph. Will it hold?

Now back to your mount. If the Jeep were stopped, and the mounted Hi-Lift were hit by a Hi-Lift going 65 mph, do you thing all the components of your mount would hold?

While you may have resigned yourself to death in a high speed crash, you should point that out to others, when talking about your mount.

I've lived through a high speed crash, where an unsecured toolbox went from the back, through the windshield, and out the front. If it had been on the driver's side OR if I had a passenger, this would be a horrible story.

For everyone else, secure everything that you are not willing to have hit you in the head at 60 mph.
From what i see in JD pic his mount is bolted into the roll cage and the highlift jack is on the mount with a bolt and wing nut with a padlock in the bolt. Now if that comes off in an accident I am pretty sure that everything else in the jeep that is bolted down would come flying out also (an example being the seats). Also this tool box you speak of was not bolted down therefore it was free to move in any direction that the force is going to push it. On the otherhand if it was bolted down it most certainly would not have moved at all.
-31in BFG AT on 15in Crager rims
-custom hood mount for hi lift jack
-Next project, building a custom turbo....
NoktrnalJeep13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2006, 09:48 AM   #49
175MM BULLDOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinYahoo
you're a dumb ***, the reason I put it there it because my Hi-Lift brand mounting kit suggested that as the place to put it, you suck, I was only joking about the Deer thing, and yes I do think it would be smooth in a crash to have a big *** piece of steel mounted to your bumper. Maybe if you had a good mounting kit like I do you would have seen that that is the way the Hi-Lift company wants you to put it...and I see them like this all the time. So, what do you think Abo that. i bet you think Hi-Lift is wrong, Right? Well its better than mounting it on the Frigging hood like some people Ive seen. And my bumper doesn't take many beatings, I take care of my Jeep.
Save the attitude for some other site, it doesn't wash here.
Unread 05-18-2006, 06:58 PM   #50
PlanetDac
2014 JK Wrangler 

Hubby made our jack holder out of Dexion 225 shelving angle.

He cut wedges out of a piece of Dexion and bent it at 90 degree angles to make a square holder for the off-road base, then mounted that centered on a straight piece of Dexion. On either side of the base holder, he mounted a 4XRAC bracket.

The whole thing was painted black (to match the brackets) and mounted on the wheel wells right behind the front seats. The jack is padlocked onto the holder, thanks to the holes in the 4XRACs carriage bolts.

The Dexion was free, as it was surplus from his employer. Something similar could probably be found at a home improvement store or hardware store. Just ask for shelving angle posts.

Could someone with 50+ please quote my pics? Thanks!

If anyone wants other details, let us know.
The Project: 1990 MJ - Red
PlanetDac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2006, 07:13 PM   #51
tjsooley

()_) ()_)--o-)_) [/COLOR]
[url]http://www.myjeepspace.com/profile.php?id=653[/url]
tjsooley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2006, 09:36 AM   #52
martinsburgjeep
I is the laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by DacYJ
Could someone with 50+ please quote my pics? Thanks!

"Could someone with 50+ please quote my pics?"

no
Unread 06-01-2006, 05:35 PM   #53
RARECJ8

this thread seems very familiar...didn't we debate this couple months ago? I took some Con-Fer roof rack monts for the high lift and mounted 'em to the rear of the tub, horizontially. Opened up the 'ears' a bit and the jack lies there snug and safe. Drilled a hole thru each mount to add a bolt to secure the jack. Then i water proofed an old bank bag and slipped it over the vital jack components. I call it 'jack pants' and its secured w/ two zip-ties. Easy access, high enough to slide in a cooler and stays action ready year round. I instead use a full sized Tuffy drawer anjd the ARB freezer/fridge fits in front ofthe box.

Added a rubber table leg from home depot to the end of the tube to save ur palm when moving the lever and to keep the handle quiet, a simple velcor strap fixes that.

Went one step further and added home brew mounts in same location for a full size shovel, axe and pull-pall.

Beer, time, scrap metal, welder and a band saw can make many cool things--- built, not bought, right?

mb

Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel
www.hillsangels4x4.com
RARECJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2006, 06:00 AM   #54
Trombino
1978 CJ7 

Just mounted mine yesterday:

Parts:
  • (2) 1/2" x 3" hex head bolts -- $2.80 total
  • (6) 1/2" washers (one on each side of the bumper and one between the wing nut and the jack) -- $.90 total
  • (4) 1/2" nuts (two on each portruding bolt) -- $.64 total
  • (2) 1/2" wing nuts -- $2.80 total
Total: $7.14 + tax

Just drilled (2) 1/2" holes in the bumper and mounted it. Used a pair of vice grips and cranked on the wing nuts until they were good and tight. Its not going anywhere. I also mounted it high enough so that I didn't loose any clearance, and the rear tow hook is still functional. I plan on getting a swing-away in the future, but I figure this will do for awhile.
'78 CJ7 -- Chevy 350 SBC, Holley 4-BBL, TH700R4, B&M Performance Shifter, Dana 300 w/ Twin Sticks, 3" Shackle Lift, 3" Body Lift, D30 Front (Disc), AMC 20 Rear w/ Moser 1-Piece, 4.10's, 35x12.50/15 General Grabber MT's, Cragar Soft 8's (15x8 w/ 4" BS)
Trombino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2006, 09:13 AM   #55
RARECJ8

great effort and location. I wonder whether that low of a mount will make contact in steep departure angle situations. I've seen similar lointing solutions become a mess when it grabs a big rock on departyre and ur left w/ a benk jack and dreaming of a new location. AAh, everything jeep takes trial and error to find nirvana.

good luck

mb

Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel
www.hillsangels4x4.com
Unread 09-03-2006, 12:44 PM   #56
golden eagle

I have mine temporarily mounted vertically behind the pass. seat tied to the roll bar with two straps. I still need to take the time to fab a better mounting system.
golden eagle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2006, 06:02 PM   #57
Willys2004

Toughstuff

Check out the hood mount by toughstuffproducts. I have one and it's awesome. I think it looks rugged on the hood of the rig as well.

http://www.toughstuffproducts.com/jeep/hood_rack.html

If you have a swing out tire carrier you've got loads of options. Just skip the one in which some dude has his mounted below the bumper. That's just bizarre.
Willys2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2006, 01:20 AM   #58
RARECJ8

With nothing better to do the other night i added a high-lift mount to the rear tire carrier on my foolsize. No more sliding around in the bed. Couple beers, 2 bolts, mig wire and some scraps of metal-- presto! Can't beat the cool factor, IMO.

Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel
www.hillsangels4x4.com
Unread 09-10-2006, 07:30 PM   #59
z71offroader

ive got mine mounted on the hood with the tough stuff mount. dont got any pics of it tho.
93 YJ- SOA, R.E 1.5" Leafs, Custom paint, 35x16 Boggers,15x10 97 series rockcrawlers. Diamond plated interior and exterior, Tera SYE/CV DS, Herculined Tub, Bestop, Warn Bumpers w/ 9.5ti, 8.8" rear, D30 front, both ARB's with 4:88's, Super 88, Posi-Lok, Alpine Stereo, Tuffy Security, Hella Fogs, ProComp Spots, and much more.

07 2500HD D-Max CC LB Black Ranchhand Bumpers, MBRP 5" Straight Piped Exhaust, Edge Evo, N-fabs, 305/65/18 BFGs on Black Motos, much more soon to come!

(Sold)03 Z71- 33x12 BFG Muds, American Racing Victor Teflons, K&N intake, Gibson Exhaust, Ranchand bumpers, Hypertech programmed, Hella Spots, 12" JL sub, and much more.
z71offroader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2006, 11:21 AM   #60
BluesMan
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.