High Lift Jack Mounting Location - Page 28 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > High Lift Jack Mounting Location

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 04-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #406
Krazman

2013 JK Wrangler 

Trail Tested

Just a quick follow up on my modified Rugged Ridge mount to happily say that it survived the 850 mile trek (each way) to Moab and back plus 5 punishing days of trails and it is holding up great. In fact, of the newly developed squeaks and rattles stemming from the trip the jack mount isn't one of them. Overall I am happy with the results and think it is a viable option for anyone not wanting to wait until the TeraFlex one is off of perpetual backorder. Although, I would really like to hear from someone with the TF mount just for comparison.

- My Build Saga
- Sarge's Spec Sheet
Krazman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2013, 08:19 AM   #407
yellowjacket11

hi lift

rampage mount
yellowjacket11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 06:23 PM   #408
gasf3
1997 YJ Wrangler 

Another Creative spot

under $10
gasf3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #409
OldTexas
1984 CJ7 

Jes mounted mine in a spot that was empty.
dsc00647_zps01358311.jpg  
Unread 05-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #410
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTexas View Post

Jes mounted mine in a spot that was empty.
Love the placement
ashland82391 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 10:31 PM   #411
nectoxicdragon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinYahoo View Post
youre a *******, the reason I put it there it because my Hi-Lift brand mounting kit suggested that as the place to put it, you suck, I was only joking about the Deer thing, and yes I do think it would be smooth in a crash to have a big *** piece of steel mounted to your bumper. Maybe if you had a good mounting kit like I do you would have seen that that is the way the Hi-Lift company wants you to put it...and I see them like this all the time. So, what do you think abou that. i bet you think Hi-Lift is wrong, Right? Well its better than mounting it on the Friggin hood like some people ive seen. And my bumper doesnt take many beatings, I take care of my Jeep.
WHY did you bother buying a High-Lift to begin with? well the number one reason most people list is to use in recovery,,, So you put it at risk on the bumper. Yes The MFG is WRONG in the respect of mounting it there for vehicle use, but as a fencing jack which it was ORIGINALLY designed for, it doesn't matter since few ranchers go wheeling when they are repairing their fences. And if you live anywhere where it snows or gets wet and freezes, mounting it outside the vehicle is problematic as well, just like hood mounting it risks the windshield if you need it and are alone... yeah they all pose problems.... mine is bungie corded to the back of the rollbar at the tail gate to see if I like it there and to decide if it's in the way... but putting recovery equipment at risk due to the type of incident where you will NEED it makes no sense...

(posted on an old thread for the benefit of others who are looking for suggestions)
nectoxicdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:33 PM   #412
nectoxicdragon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RARECJ8 View Post
Reality Check Time: How often does the average wheeler REALLY use the hi lift? In 30 years of wheeling I have used a hi lift twice. Two times. The rest of the years it just rides along and adds weigh, temptation for crooks and gets dried out and rusty. Have used the winch many times but not the hi lift. I have changed out leaf springs, shackles and the like, changed tires, straightened firewalls and always use a mechanical bottle jack. ( i modified the jacks screw slot to use an impact gun to raise and lower it= easy). Hi lift makes a sweet 'lift mate' to directly lit a wheel and that gets used once in a while. Cool factors and 'trail ready' aside, how often do you REALLY use the hi lift to lift ur rig on the trail? Shop use doesn't count.
My HL is 35 years old as of my last birthday. And it is heavily used... this year I sand blasted the bugger and repainted it to make it look factory new. It's been used in rescue operations on the highway when waiting for the JOL would have cost the lives of motorists when volunteer firefighters were on scene before the equipment, trail recovery, tire repairs in breaking beads, seating beads, clamping metal for welding in the field, even splitting wood for the campfire when a full sized axe was lacking due to a broken handle (beware of who uses your gear and make sure they know what they are doing). The bottom line is knowing what you can do with the tools you have. Just like you modifying the jack screw slot, puts limits on what is needed to use the jack, making a bolt that fits the slot would allow the impact gun to do the same thing without imposing limits, The high lift is a jack that doesn't arbitrarily limit it's uses like a bottle jack does.
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:48 PM   #413
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nectoxicdragon View Post
WHY did you bother buying a High-Lift to begin with? well the number one reason most people list is to use in recovery,,, So you put it at risk on the bumper. Yes The MFG is WRONG in the respect of mounting it there for vehicle use, but as a fencing jack which it was ORIGINALLY designed for, it doesn't matter since few ranchers go wheeling when they are repairing their fences. And if you live anywhere where it snows or gets wet and freezes, mounting it outside the vehicle is problematic as well, just like hood mounting it risks the windshield if you need it and are alone... yeah they all pose problems.... mine is bungie corded to the back of the rollbar at the tail gate to see if I like it there and to decide if it's in the way... but putting recovery equipment at risk due to the type of incident where you will NEED it makes no sense...

(posted on an old thread for the benefit of others who are looking for suggestions)
I usually need 4wd when repairing my fences. I take the jeep out there and perform several tasks with the hi lift. Unfortunately the most used is the jack in my work truck where I don't NEED 4wd to get to every place to use it. However I still need 4wd and to use my hi lift everyday though seldom concurrently.

Hope that helps.
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 12:14 AM   #414
RARECJ8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nectoxicdragon View Post
My HL is 35 years old as of my last birthday. And it is heavily used... this year I sand blasted the bugger and repainted it to make it look factory new. It's been used in rescue operations on the highway when waiting for the JOL would have cost the lives of motorists when volunteer firefighters were on scene before the equipment, trail recovery, tire repairs in breaking beads, seating beads, clamping metal for welding in the field, even splitting wood for the campfire when a full sized axe was lacking due to a broken handle (beware of who uses your gear and make sure they know what they are doing). The bottom line is knowing what you can do with the tools you have. Just like you modifying the jack screw slot, puts limits on what is needed to use the jack, making a bolt that fits the slot would allow the impact gun to do the same thing without imposing limits, The high lift is a jack that doesn't arbitrarily limit it's uses like a bottle jack does.

actually that is what i did-- grind a bolt flat on two sides and insert into the slot. Works well. Sure, i keep a well maintained HL on both the CJ and daily driver. Only REALLY needed 2x in many years of wheeling. And those two times is saved the day. Multi-tool, yes indeed. But we usually have something else to do the job.

Sadly, most times on a run when some rig needs a HL, its all dried out then someone has to hunt up some WD40 or ? to make it work. It should be maintained to work every time and you do not need another tool to make it function. Sometimes seconds count.
While we're on the topic, for Pete';s sake, amazing how much hand wringing over a jack mounting location. Not you, but the thread in general. Mount it up and go. Its not rocket science.

hope not a repost--am getting old-- but we saved an IH from being left behind-- HL expanded front clip and kept fan out of radiator. Cadillac Hill, Rubicon.

that POs was a real pile. he had a strap across the diesel engine. Q: how break motor mount? A: aww. it was broken before we left for the trail

but, go prepared, right? those jethros had a lot of tools byut no common sense. We saved their bacon but it cost their bottle of makers mark, LOL

Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel
www.hillsangels4x4.com
RARECJ8 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 09:06 PM   #415
nectoxicdragon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I agree about the hand wringing, But the one big point that (hopefully) was made in this thread is don't put your recovery gear at risk, because the situations that will require it are the ones that will destroy it. It's bad enough that our winches have to act as bull bars in order to mount them where they are needed.
Unread 09-14-2013, 10:31 AM   #416
caprob
2013 JK Wrangler 

Where's your winch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raybz View Post
I made a mount for on my front bumper
Used some square tube as spacers and threaded rod with some wing nuts to secure it

You can see where it is in this pic
You have to have the Hi-Lift but I've used my winch at least 10x the use of the Hi-Lift.

Try the Rock Ridge mount vertically on the tailgate hinge.
hazard-climbing-2-600x450.jpg

=[ [][],[_____
=l-\|\| - -OlllllllO-
[SIZE="3"][I]() )-o () )--o--) )[/I][/SIZE]
caprob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 10:22 AM   #417
CPFLIP
1997 TJ Wrangler 

ive seen the cool roll bar mount trick with muffler clamps do any of you guys know if this will work with a jeep tj with a hardtop?
CPFLIP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 10:49 PM   #418
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFLIP View Post
ive seen the cool roll bar mount trick with muffler clamps do any of you guys know if this will work with a jeep tj with a hardtop?
It will
ashland82391 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #419
reddirtTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yes. I run without a top most of the time. Due to a surgery I had to put my hardtop back on. I found that mine wouldn't fit on the back on roll bar with the hardtop. I had to get out the grinder and cut an angle on the top side to be able to slide it in. I have a 06 factory top on a 97 if that matters. Obviously it is no problem with soft top etc. I hope that helps.

image-761778406.jpg

"TJ's and CJ's are Jeeps. BJ's are something else entirely. I can only help you with the first two." Sundowner
reddirtTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #420
drandersoninc

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
It will
+1

My mounting may be a bit different than Ashland, but one thing I would recommend is using nylon insert nuts for all the muffler UBolts. I recently rolled my Jeep, and while the HiLift staying place I noticed some of the original nuts / wingnuts had slipped a thread or two - which was a bit disconcerting. These kind of nuts hold much better now.
drandersoninc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.