High Lift Jack Mounting Location - Page 27 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > High Lift Jack Mounting Location

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-13-2013, 01:02 PM   #391
RARECJ8

Quote:
Originally Posted by slawkin93 View Post
I mounted mine on the rear bumper. Would add a pic but cant yet. New member
its real easy-- link via a hosted site such as photobucket.

Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel
www.hillsangels4x4.com
RARECJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #392
saharacon87
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RARECJ8 View Post
nice mount to keep a good COG, but seems that will negatively affect your departure angle and it may soon be ripped out or bent up. And perhaps dirt/pebbles and moisture from rear tire spraying up into the jack climbing mechanism any also affect its functionality when really needed. (Side note: in 30+ years of wheeling rarely if ever do externally mounted jacks function properly when needed-- someone has to hunt up some WD40, etc and that defeats the concept of having a jack at the ready.) Regular lube and maintenance + work out under load helps keep them in shape.

So i like the styling of the low rear mount, and this is just one dude's perspective, you may not be happy in the long run for the above reasons.
That's a good point. I mount mine externally so I don't lose cabin space but I try to take it off when I'm driving around town to keep it from seizing up. Pb blaster is always in my jeep as well lol
Unread 02-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #393
JeepNut4581

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raybz View Post
I made a mount for on my front bumper
Used some square tube as spacers and threaded rod with some wing nuts to secure it

You can see where it is in this pic
Great info...thanks!
JeepNut4581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #394
wilywillie
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I mount mine between the roll bars in the rear (pic/post somewhere WAY up above).
I keep the doors and windows off 1/2 the year, so even mounted "inside" like that, it still gets weathered.
Maintenance is important to me, like I hope every serious Jeeper feels. I use LP grease, straight from the grease gun I keep in it. PB, liquid wrench, and WD are great penetrants, but aren't much for lubrication!
my $0.02

http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/s...earthquake.jpg
wilywillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 01:25 PM   #395
99XJFan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Interesting idea to have it under front bumper...hard to get when buried in mud, though!
99XJFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 06:16 PM   #396
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just moved mine from the hood to my tire carrier.

forumrunner_20130226_201626.jpg

forumrunner_20130226_201637.jpg

forumrunner_20130226_201648.jpg
ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #397
Md_06Unltd
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Has anyone with an LJ tried mounting it on the inside, lengthwise (front to back) instead of widthwise?

I'd like to see the mount set-up
66 M416
Md_06Unltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #398
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

yes, page 20 is in the tub and page 25 is across above the rail in this exact thread

SEMPER FI
LifeProof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #399
Md_06Unltd
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandKing View Post
yes, page 20 is in the tub and page 25 is across above the rail in this exact thread
Thanks for that...I prefer it going across from roll bar to roll bar lengthwise...in the one pictured on page 25, he has a homemade cage, but the idea is the same.

I'm thinking maybe I'd prefer the end with the jack mechanism toward the rear. I would hate to have that bust loose and punch me in the back, or smack me in the head.
66 M416
Md_06Unltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 09:36 PM   #400
whiskeywiz
Heineken?
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinYahoo View Post
youre a *******, the reason I put it there it because my Hi-Lift brand mounting kit suggested that as the place to put it, you suck, I was only joking about the Deer thing, and yes I do think it would be smooth in a crash to have a big *** piece of steel mounted to your bumper. Maybe if you had a good mounting kit like I do you would have seen that that is the way the Hi-Lift company wants you to put it...and I see them like this all the time. So, what do you think abou that. i bet you think Hi-Lift is wrong, Right? Well its better than mounting it on the Friggin hood like some people ive seen. And my bumper doesnt take many beatings, I take care of my Jeep.
Hi-lift wants you to put it there so you can buy a new one when you get into a bumper-bender. Roid much?
whiskeywiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2013, 11:01 PM   #401
Krazman

2013 JK Wrangler 

JK TeraFlex HD Hinge Mount

While TeraFlex has released a jack mount for their HD hinge and tire carrier, it is seemingly on perpetual back order. I wanted something sooner rather than later so I ordered a Rugged Ridge jack mount and modified it to fit the the TeraFlex hinge by welding a couple of tabs to pick up existing holes. I also added a bit of reinforcement to the mount since it seemed a bit flimsy. After a bit of cutting, drilling and welding, the end result turned out great and seems plenty stout to take the punishment of the trails now.

- My Build Saga
- Sarge's Spec Sheet
Krazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 09:27 AM   #402
wilywillie
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

That looks really good/practical, Keith! Is that jack the 48" or the 52"? I just might steal your idea

http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/s...earthquake.jpg
wilywillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 04:58 PM   #403
RARECJ8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazman View Post
While TeraFlex has released a jack mount for their HD hinge and tire carrier, it is seemingly on perpetual back order. I wanted something sooner rather than later so I ordered a Rugged Ridge jack mount and modified it to fit the the TeraFlex hinge by welding a couple of tabs to pick up existing holes. I also added a bit of reinforcement to the mount since it seemed a bit flimsy. After a bit of cutting, drilling and welding, the end result turned out great and seems plenty stout to take the punishment of the trails now.

looks nice! Are there any body contact issues when its fully opened?

Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel
www.hillsangels4x4.com
RARECJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 10:00 PM   #404
Krazman

2013 JK Wrangler 

All Jacked Up

Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilywillie View Post
That looks really good/practical, Keith! Is that jack the 48" or the 52"? I just might steal your idea
It is the 48" jack. I like it because it doesn't stick up so far as to require removal if I need to pull it into the garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RARECJ8 View Post
looks nice! Are there any body contact issues when its fully opened?
Not at all. The gate opens to the stop and the jack clears the taillight and the rear hatch clears just fine.

I used some .100" thick x 2.00" wide steel from the scrap bin to make two mounts with 1/2" drilled holes. I also welded 1/2" washers to these straps for reinforcement. I used some door shims to set the height of the bracket from the bumper and measure the third hole which goes through the bracket itself (hidden by the jack in the picture). Okay, maybe I miss-drilled the first hole which caused the bracket to hit the bumper before using the door shims, but at least I double checked before getting too weld happy. The bottom now sits about about 3/8" above the bumper.

Since the upper and lower straps went behind the bracket, I welded a washer to the back of the bracket at the third mounting location to serve as stand off to keep things straight. Lastly, I added a piece of 3/4 angle (.063 thick) down the left side (also hidden by the jack) to stiffen up the back and keep the base from bending down from being bounced down the trail.

I used Rustoleum spray on truck bed paint which matches the wrinkle powder coat on the bracket (as well as the bumper) nicely. It really could benefit having what is left of the power coat stripped off and refinished, but it is passable for now. Plus, add a bit of mud and it will be well camouflaged. Overall, I couldn't be happier with how it turned out.

- My Build Saga
- Sarge's Spec Sheet
Krazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 09:22 AM   #405
Cannonball888
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball888 View Post
I had to leave it in a parking lot on top of a lamp post base because it was too big too fit on my Jeep.

Just letting you guys know this wasn't Photoshopped. It is a photo taken in front of the Hi-Lift Jack factory
Cannonball888 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.