High Lift Jack Mounting Location - Page 24 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #346 of 450 Old 03-07-2012, 06:19 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpms View Post
OK everyone is dogging everyone's elses setup, so I will post this so they have something new to talk crap about.
Your tires suck.

01 TJ, 34 Super Swaper 34x10.5 bias, Winch, locked, belly up, some armor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #347 of 450 Old 03-07-2012, 10:28 AM
jpms
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Your tires suck.
Why Yes they DO!!!!!
post #348 of 450 Old 03-07-2012, 11:13 AM
RARECJ8

1981 CJ8 

we're not dogging, just joshing and we're all always on the lookout for new and better ideas, hence popularity of these forums. IMO the overriding issue with jack mounting is
1--its securely mounted with out interfering with any vehicle/door/hood/tailgate operation or affects approach/departure angles;
2--is readily accessible, and
3--the climbing pins/moving parts are well lubricated and protected (cover?) from the elements so the jack works when you need it, not have a rusted, frozen-up mechanism. Who wants to hunt up WD40 to make the jack work when you need it NOW? I use an old leg gater from my cross country skiing days-- water proof and secured w/ velcro. Works perfect. The jack boot from hi-lift is nice, but it harbors moisture.

Everything else is cosmetic and up to an individual driver's preference.

mb

Look it's a 4.6!
Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel. ECV 3697
www.hillsangels4x4.com
post #349 of 450 Old 03-07-2012, 01:00 PM
HighRoller02TJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Why Yes they DO!!!!!
post #350 of 450 Old 03-07-2012, 01:29 PM
AKGeo
Web Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

waterproof covers are a mistake unless you can ensure that they're completely sealed. once some moisture gets inside the waterproof cover, it'll sit there, vaporize (in heat) or slosh around and rust the crap out of your jack. you want something that'll repel rain, but won't hold moisture in when in an otherwise dry environment. Allowing the jack to dry off after getting wet is the key to keeping it in good working order. You can be proactive and put the cover on in a wet environment, then remove it when things dry up. or you can keep it exposed, which is less work, and simply keep up maintenance by shooting it with some WD40 after a rainstorm. It won't rust just from getting wet. It'll rust from getting wet and STAYING wet.
post #351 of 450 Old 03-07-2012, 03:46 PM
RARECJ8

1981 CJ8 

agreed for sure. Maybe 'water resistant' is a better way to say it. I wrap the gater over the vitals with the velcro partially closed along the underside. Thus its self draining and naturally, there is no substitute for regular maintenance.

Who knew we can be on 20 + pages just how to mount a jack? LOL

So to add flavor? Who also carries a bottle jack? Whether hydraulic or mechanical, they are priceless and easily stow away. Hi lifts are not the be all for lifting, etc.

Look it's a 4.6!
Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel. ECV 3697
www.hillsangels4x4.com
post #352 of 450 Old 03-08-2012, 07:54 PM
jpms
2009 JK Wrangler 

A bottle jack would be a good call, I had to strap my axle to the frame to use the high lift and get the tire off the ground once. Bottle jack would have been nice.
post #353 of 450 Old 03-08-2012, 11:16 PM
RARECJ8

1981 CJ8 

i welded an axle spring perch to a small ring of pipe that sips over the end of the bottle jack this way when it is used to lift the axle, it fits snugly and won't slide off. i also ground down a bolt head so its a 'T' shape to fit in the slot for the mechanical bottle jack. This way rather than the hand crank, i just use the cordless impace with the bolt in the chuck. insert into the jack and squeeze the trigger. will easily life the tire off the ground.
hit up a junk yard for a late model ford style OEM bottle jack. You can even get the mounting cradle for it as a set. Mine is hard mounted under the drivers seat.

try it.

Look it's a 4.6!
Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel. ECV 3697
www.hillsangels4x4.com
post #354 of 450 Old 03-24-2012, 05:18 PM
rolandthegypsy
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RARECJ8 View Post
i welded an axle spring perch to a small ring of pipe that sips over the end of the bottle jack this way when it is used to lift the axle, it fits snugly and won't slide off. i also ground down a bolt head so its a 'T' shape to fit in the slot for the mechanical bottle jack. This way rather than the hand crank, i just use the cordless impace with the bolt in the chuck. insert into the jack and squeeze the trigger. will easily life the tire off the ground.
hit up a junk yard for a late model ford style OEM bottle jack. You can even get the mounting cradle for it as a set. Mine is hard mounted under the drivers seat.

try it.
I am sorry I can not picture what you are trying to say. May you please post a picture so that I can understand what you are describing. Thank you, and I hope to see your picture soon.
post #355 of 450 Old 04-07-2012, 09:22 PM
46hillbilly

Try adding a Bumper Reinforcement with a pillow block like-flat on bumper side w/ Rectangular tube heavy wall with clip-on caps using military lid clamps. a rubber inner tube section for a gasket will aid in keeping water out and will keep the lift nearly bone dry.
Place welded sections of square U steel welded on under the bumper for keeping the lift from skating sidewise. Under the sides too if needed.
Have a hi-Lift skid out when fixing a flat or tire chains makes this a Fast and Righteous cure.
post #356 of 450 Old 04-09-2012, 04:00 AM
arkytech
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I use a Toad-Hop one piece hood mount. Very solid. I keep the Jack working with a cavity protection spray from Wurth. It is a wax based product that lubricates well and water and elements just bead up and roll off. I've been using this stuff for years on latching mechanisms on motorcycle luggage with never a rust or crud build up problem.
post #357 of 450 Old 04-09-2012, 06:02 AM
jpms
2009 JK Wrangler 

well my Jack saved my grill and condensor, some ******* on a job site backed into my Jeep with boards sticking out of the bed of his truck....Bent my home made bracket, nothing else damaged.....
post #358 of 450 Old 04-09-2012, 07:30 AM
WingingIt74
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'd like to mount my jack inside, but does any of what you guys have done interfere with the soft top? I'd like not to rub holes in the top

-Travis
"WingingIt74"
Charter Member : Southern Illinois Jeep Association
post #359 of 450 Old 04-09-2012, 09:47 AM
2003X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireballRoberts View Post
I'd like to mount my jack inside, but does any of what you guys have done interfere with the soft top? I'd like not to rub holes in the top
Mine does not interfere with the soft top. I have to tuck it into place, but that's all. I like how my mounts are under the padding so it looks cleaner.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1292.JPG   IMG_1293.JPG   IMG_1294.JPG   IMG_1277.JPG  
post #360 of 450 Old 04-09-2012, 10:00 AM
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Home made mount that works for my uses...
What better way to shout to the world, "Look out, malls of America!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.