High Lift Jack Mounting Location - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > High Lift Jack Mounting Location

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-08-2006, 04:44 PM   #16
JeepinYahoo
1977 CJ5 

Heres mine, it is good in case I hit a Deer I guess. I need to take of the Bumper pads so it can be flipped the other way for maximum clearence.

JeepinYahoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2006, 05:41 PM   #17
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinYahoo
Heres mine, it is good in case I hit a Deer I guess. I need to take of the Bumper pads so it can be flipped the other way for maximum clearence.
That's about the poorest place to put a jack that I have ever seen. People buy tough bumpers for a reason, because that spot takes a lot of beatings. So now your jack can protect the bumper.
Unread 03-08-2006, 06:24 PM   #18
JeepinYahoo
1977 CJ5 

youre a *******, the reason I put it there it because my Hi-Lift brand mounting kit suggested that as the place to put it, you suck, I was only joking about the Deer thing, and yes I do think it would be smooth in a crash to have a big *** piece of steel mounted to your bumper. Maybe if you had a good mounting kit like I do you would have seen that that is the way the Hi-Lift company wants you to put it...and I see them like this all the time. So, what do you think abou that. i bet you think Hi-Lift is wrong, Right? Well its better than mounting it on the Friggin hood like some people ive seen. And my bumper doesnt take many beatings, I take care of my Jeep.
Unread 03-08-2006, 11:11 PM   #19
plmoss21

easy there
Unread 03-08-2006, 11:53 PM   #20
schmoken

Hmmm, I guess I'm a ******* too since I agree with Don.
One bumper-height rock will do your jack in.

One opposing opinion and you fly off the handle like that?
schmoken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2006, 01:20 AM   #21
EaglesSJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
youre a *******, the reason I put it there it because my Hi-Lift brand mounting kit suggested that as the place to put it, you suck, I was only joking about the Deer thing, and yes I do think it would be smooth in a crash to have a big *** piece of steel mounted to your bumper. Maybe if you had a good mounting kit like I do you would have seen that that is the way the Hi-Lift company wants you to put it...and I see them like this all the time. So, what do you think abou that. i bet you think Hi-Lift is wrong, Right? Well its better than mounting it on the Friggin hood like some people ive seen. And my bumper doesnt take many beatings, I take care of my Jeep.
Thats pretty harsh there buddy, you might want to tone it down if you ever want to make it above 11 post!

Unread 03-09-2006, 02:31 AM   #22
wh1te
1994 ZJ 

Kinda off topic but not really just a change of jeeps what about mounting In a ZJ any thoughts or pics? Or should I just make my own thread
custom: radiator support/ tow points
wh1te is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2006, 02:39 PM   #23
webdr

Quote:
youre a *******, you suck. Maybe if you had a good mounting kit like I do. So, what do you think abou that. i bet you think Hi-Lift is wrong, Right? Well its better than mounting it on the Friggin hood. I take care of my Jeep.
ROTFLMAO
That is the best quote this year.
Hi lift suggests you mount it there so when you bend the crap out of it, you can purchase a new one.........
I wouldnt get too mad at him, its to be expected from a 21 year old boy
webdr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2006, 12:58 PM   #24
BackRoadJPin
1995 Wrangler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
yours is the only one I have ever seen mounted on the front of the bumper like that, I think any one with an ounce of common sense could figure out mounting on the front like that means it will take the brunt of all abuse it sees head on.

Road debry, rock chips, off raod that thing is a target for distruction.

mount it on top of your bumper at the very least.

as for bagging on JeeperDon, you have no clue, I think (jmho) that JeeperDon's Hi-lift mount is the best DIY fabbed one I have seen yet.

Yes that is correct JeeperDon actually does have a hi-lift.

BackRoadJPin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2006, 05:15 PM   #25
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the compliment BD. Here is a pic of the install he speaks of:

Unread 03-12-2006, 08:14 PM   #26
BackRoadJPin
1995 Wrangler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon
Thanks for the compliment BD. Here is a pic of the install he speaks of:

To bad I need my back seat or I would be copying your design.

Unread 03-12-2006, 08:37 PM   #27
CNY
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Down
yours is the only one I have ever seen mounted on the front of the bumper like that....
Really?!

I could go on....... Google images is your friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Down
.... I think (jmho) that JeeperDon's Hi-lift mount is the best DIY fabbed one I have seen yet....
I think that pic of Don's mount is scary as heck. That thing weighs a bunch. In a high speed accident, the forces involved could be very dangerous.
CNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2006, 09:03 PM   #28
webdr

thats a good point.......I too mounted mine on the front bumper, but it rusted out and I had to buy a replacement parts kit. I just got a new one cause I "accidentally" left it in the shed at a house I was renting, came back...it was gone.
webdr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2006, 10:43 PM   #29
BackRoadJPin
1995 Wrangler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY
Really?!
I could go on....... Google images is your friend.

I think that pic of Don's mount is scary as heck. That thing weighs a bunch. In a high speed accident, the forces involved could be very dangerous.
LOL out of all the pictures you posted only two (well at least one was the complete jack) of them were mounted on the front of the front bumper, not to be confused with mounted on the front bumper (meaning the top) so that it is at the least some what protected.

And as stated until you posted up the pictures his was actually the first one I had heard of that was mounted on the front of the front bumper.

As far as googling (I love that burner plate come back) I was not looking for a way to mount mine on the front of the front bumper as I think that is the worst place to put it, especially when running the rock infested trails that are scattered throughout Utah.

And in all of my searches on JeepForum / Pirate4x4 / RME / JU / JA, never once did I see anyone recommend mounting it on the front of the front bumper (again not to be confused with mounting it on top of the front bumper which is probably the most common.).

As for how well JD's mounts would hold up in an accident, well cant argue with that, but with out real world testing you can't really tell me that they won't hold up; so why not test it for us, or google the crap out of your PC and post up some more pictures of how deadly his mounts are.

I still think that JD's mounts are some of the cleanest yet, next to the retail ones available.

Unread 03-13-2006, 05:55 AM   #30
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY
It's been there for two seasons. The truck took a lot of tough hits in that time and the jack and mount never budged or even loosened a wingnut. If you grab it and push/pull, you shake the whole Jeep with zero relative motion at the mount. 'If' the Jeep ever went at high speed, and 'if' I were in a high speed head on accident hard enough to break lose the jack, I would be dead well before the jack gets to me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.