High Lift Jack Mounting Location - Page 18 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > High Lift Jack Mounting Location

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-26-2010, 12:43 PM   #256
LuckyCharm4x4

Oh yeah, here is the Lo-Lift that I refurbished awhile ago: Info: New Hi-lift - Lucky Offroad Forum

LuckyCharm4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2010, 12:10 PM   #257
1Ordo_Malleus
1979 CJ5 

On my last Wrangler I had it mounted on the hood.. the install was easy, not much hardware, but I thought it was a little pricey for a couple pieces of metal, some bolts and wing nuts (almost $100). When I slammed intot he back of a cadillac, the mounts DID hold so I was able to recover the jack before they totalled it...
1Ordo_Malleus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2010, 12:45 PM   #258
rottenpuppets
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Mounted it to the instatrunk in the back. It's got a real sorry lock on it just as a visual deterant since it's NY nobody steals a jack they'll take the whole f'n Jeep if anything around here.

[COLOR="Blue"][URL="http://www.outlawedoffroad.com"]Outlawed Offroad[/URL][/COLOR] - LI/NY Jeepers
rottenpuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2010, 02:12 PM   #259
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Crap happens, I keep mine inside strapped down behind the roll bar. It holds my sub and other things down. It is protected from the elements and random impact. It does make it so you can't bush the top all the way down but that doesn't really matter. It is easy enough to take the top off it I want.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2010, 02:48 PM   #260
RedJeepWoman
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you so much for the idea of mounting it to my roll-bar with muffler clamps---I just did this to my TJ this past weekend. I had mine bolted to the rear bumper--but the weather elements began to damage my Hi-Lift.
1997 TJ Blue Wrangler with a 4' inch short-arm lift with 33'
RedJeepWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2010, 02:25 PM   #261
dickyson
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIx4 View Post
Just finished my mount. I used the Fence clamp idea. It worked great and only cost me 3.50 at LOWES. Sure beats the high priced mounts for sale. I like having mine inside to avoid mud and grim.(I want it to work if it is needed!)
How long is your jack?

thanks
dickyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2010, 10:19 PM   #262
MikeyB333
2005 TJ Wrangler 

High Lift Jack Mounting Location

I admittedly did not go through all 18 pages of replies to this post, so forgive me if I'm repeating somone elses idea here, but if you still have a factory 3rd brakelight like me, you can use the space between it and the spare:

I put 2 zip ties through the existing holes in the 3rd Brakelight mount and around /through the jack.

With no mod required, it just don't get any cheaper than that.

Mike
(o)_)---(o)_)--o-)_)______'05 TJ - Black Jeep Society... Only in a BLACK jeep :)
MikeyB333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2010, 07:26 AM   #263
YWU
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good, cheap and easy but I don't think I'd trust zip ties to a plastic mounting point to hold on to the jack in a collission. If/when they fail, your jack becomes a missile.
YWU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2010, 05:48 PM   #264
HHI-Dave
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Mounted my jack today, inspired by this thread.

I wanted to mount the jack inside for security and to keep it out of the weather. I used a 2.5" muffler hanger with two 5/8" coarse wingnuts for the base side.

For the other end, I used a billet collar from a wakeboard tower (doesn't everyone have a few these laying around their garages?) I ran the bolt through the collar and mounted it with a 3/4" locknut. I also put a black ziptie around the handle to hopefully cut down on the rattling. It doesn't block my line of sight in the rearview and it seems to be secure. I don't think its going anywhere. Though it takes some finessing to get it in there, I can have it out of the vehicle and ready use to less than 2 minutes.

48" Torin Big Red farm jack courtesy of Sears

2 1/2" muffler hanger with washers and wingnuts

Billet aluminum wakeboard tower collar (courtesy of Wakeboard Towers and Accessories by Monster Tower) and 3/4" lock nut.

HHI-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2010, 09:02 PM   #265
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIx4 View Post
Just finished my mount. I used the Fence clamp idea. It worked great and only cost me 3.50 at LOWES. Sure beats the high priced mounts for sale. I like having mine inside to avoid mud and grim.(I want it to work if it is needed!)

Sorry to resurrect so bad... but what did you use?
JJeeper09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2010, 11:34 PM   #266
MikeyB333
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWU View Post
Looks good, cheap and easy but I don't think I'd trust zip ties to a plastic mounting point to hold on to the jack in a collission. If/when they fail, your jack becomes a missile.
Thanks, I appreciate that. Believe it or not though, it was actually really solid in that space even with nothing holding onto it. In a collision (the most likely being a forward moving collision) in order for the jack to become airborne it would have to break completely through the factory third brakelight mount, or (in a rear end collision) through the spare tire, and that after breaking through the zip ties which are generally strong enough that cops use them as makeshift handcuffs. So then that only leaves the possibility of the jack leaving sideways out of it's current home. That would only seem possible in some kind of wild spinning flipping wreck worthy of the title NASCAR. If that were to happen, I'm sure it would be only one of many missles. But I do see your point and may drill a hole and through a bolt/nut through there. Thanks for the suggestion.
(o)_)---(o)_)--o-)_)______'05 TJ - Black Jeep Society... Only in a BLACK jeep :)
Unread 09-29-2010, 04:13 AM   #267
IIx4
2000 TJ Wrangler 

These are Chain link fence Clamps. They go around the post and bolt the fence to the post. I used 5/16 carriage bolts however I will be upgrading to 3/8 so I can drill through and put a lock on it. The only down sides I have found to having the jack inside is the loss of space and more so the rattle of the jack parts. It gets annoying to listen to if your not listening to the radio. I have the shorter jack (48" I think) and it fits across the back with some room to spare.
Unread 10-02-2010, 07:42 PM   #268
MikeyB333
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWU View Post
I did go ahead and put a bolt through the jack, holding it more securely where it is.
Here is what I had:

And here is what I did to improve it:

Thanks for the input YWU
Unread 10-04-2010, 11:42 AM   #269
tealo951
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyB333 View Post
I did go ahead and put a bolt through the jack, holding it more securely where it is.
Here is what I had:

And here is what I did to improve it:

Thanks for the input YWU
to get it off.... do you need to remove the tire also? looks really hard to get to.
Unread 11-03-2010, 04:04 PM   #270
Catapillarbilly
1998 TJ Wrangler 

CHECK IT!

Catapillarbilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.