High Lift Jack Mounting Location - Page 17 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > High Lift Jack Mounting Location

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-23-2010, 05:23 AM   #241
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbman View Post
YEAH, why even mount it at all??? I just wedged mine snugly behind the back seat. no rattling or anything. easy to remove.
what happens if you roll the Jeep! How many times is it going to hit you in the head?

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2010, 05:43 AM   #242
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Stop!!!!!!!
And think about why we have the jacks on our Jeeps and are we really going to use them. And, if we have to use them you are going to have to ask your self a few questions first depending on how you mounted the jack
If I need the jack in a hurry am I going to be able to access it?
Ther are many times that we are on club rides and someone is in need of the jack. If you are the closest to that person is your jack easily accessable and is it going to work?
How long is it going to take you to undo the u bolts and do you have a wrench with you?
Your jack is on the front bumper, has it been hit, does it still work ?
Your jack is on the hood. Is it secure enough that it will stay on during an accident? Folding down the windshield is not an option anymore.
What about it being out in the weather? Does it still work? rusted?
How many times have you used the jack since mounting it?
Heres mine.

Very easy to unmount with 2 wing nuts and mostly covered

Unread 07-23-2010, 05:45 AM   #243
PainProphet
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Hehe I know it wasn't directed at me, but if I flip my jeep at the beach, I've got bigger problems than a loose hilift jack. Lolz haven't found anywhere else to 4wd around here. :/
PainProphet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2010, 06:47 AM   #244
PainProphet
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesx2 View Post
Stop!!!!!!!
And think about why we have the jacks on our Jeeps and are we really going to use them. And, if we have to use them you are going to have to ask your self a few questions first depending on how you mounted the jack
If I need the jack in a hurry am I going to be able to access it?
Ther are many times that we are on club rides and someone is in need of the jack. If you are the closest to that person is your jack easily accessable and is it going to work?
How long is it going to take you to undo the u bolts and do you have a wrench with you?
Your jack is on the front bumper, has it been hit, does it still work ?
Your jack is on the hood. Is it secure enough that it will stay on during an accident? Folding down the windshield is not an option anymore.
What about it being out in the weather? Does it still work? rusted?
How many times have you used the jack since mounting it?
Heres mine.

Very easy to unmount with 2 wing nuts and mostly covered
Well for me, if I ever do bolt down the jack in the location previously stated, it would just be one bolt in the middle if possible (that's what I saw in a thread before). I already bring some tools whenever I go on the beach, that's the only time the jack is in the jeep cuz she's my DD. To bolt down the jack and not bring tools is just friggin dumb and I don't think any of our fine forum members would ever do that.

I hear ya about mounting it outside of the jeep, I know my lazy @$$ would just leave it there all the time and it would rust/seize/whatever, so it stays in the house most of the time.

I do like your mount though, seen it before, but I have the bestop instatrunk and I don't think it will support the jack's weight. What is it that you have yours mounted to? I like the one that mounts to the roll bar, but I don't want to spend 30-70 dollars just for a mount and I sure as hell don't feel like fabricating one during this busy summer season. Maybe that can be a winter project.
Unread 07-23-2010, 06:58 AM   #245
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainProphet View Post
I do like your mount though, seen it before, but I have the bestop instatrunk and I don't think it will support the jack's weight. What is it that you have yours mounted to? I like the one that mounts to the roll bar, but I don't want to spend 30-70 dollars just for a mount and I sure as hell don't feel like fabricating one during this busy summer season. Maybe that can be a winter project.
Bought it used. I think its out of a CJ. Perfect for storing spare axle shafts and other parts. I also have the 2.5 gallon OBA air tank in there

Unread 07-23-2010, 07:29 AM   #246
PainProphet
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Bought it used. I think its out of a CJ. Perfect for storing spare axle shafts and other parts. I also have the 2.5 gallon OBA air tank in there

Nice! I like it! It would be even better, well for me, if the jeep part of it folded down, but still it's strong enough to hold the weight of the jack, so right on.
Unread 07-23-2010, 07:48 AM   #247
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainProphet View Post
Nice! I like it! It would be even better, well for me, if the jeep part of it folded down, but still it's strong enough to hold the weight of the jack, so right on.
That would be nice. easier access and a build in table

Unread 07-23-2010, 07:59 AM   #248
PainProphet
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That would be nice. easier access and a build in table
hehehe until one of your friends mistakes it for the tailgate, slaps their @$$ down on it, and no more storage for axle shafts and such lolz
Unread 07-26-2010, 12:02 AM   #249
newman_buddy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

This is what I made. I took out the windshield pads on the hood I drilled a hole in 6 hockey pucks, put a 6 inch bolt up the center a washer on each end and a nut on one end. I put the jack on it and use a washer and a wing nut to hold the jack down. Then I drilled a hole in the bolts so I could put small pad locks on it so nobody would steal it. I put a piece of flat steal under the hood and out two self taping screws into the spine of the hood for extra support. I used the pucks because they are large and would take the pressure off the metal around the holes. I also slid the jack up a little so the bulk of the weight would be centered. It works great and if you try to shake it, it moves the whole Jeep. It cost me about $10 to make.
img_2295small.jpg   img_2296small.jpg   img_2297small.jpg   img_2298small.jpg   img_2300small.jpg  

newman_buddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2010, 12:54 PM   #250
RAILhead
2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm still trying to figure out a good place for my 48" on my 4-door JK. I'd like to keep it inside, but I also use this Jeep to haul sound gear and bandmates -- so I need a back seat, and I still need to be able to get things into the back cargo area.
RAILhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2010, 04:47 PM   #251
tealo951
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Why not use something like this system, but instead of where it's mounted, you put it on the horizontal parts, rather than the up rights, if that makes sense, unless you DD this thing, then idk. lol maybe you could do this, but from the rear bar, to the.... is there one beside, or behind the pssenger seat it could go to? like so it's long ways instead of across the jeep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepskater433 View Post
heres the pic from the website of a mounting kit that i put on my jeep to hold my jack, it works pretty good, no rattles or anything and easy to put in

Unread 07-31-2010, 08:45 PM   #252
IIx4
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Just finished my mount. I used the Fence clamp idea. It worked great and only cost me 3.50 at LOWES. Sure beats the high priced mounts for sale. I like having mine inside to avoid mud and grim.(I want it to work if it is needed!)

IIx4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2010, 10:40 AM   #253
2000jeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Okay here is what i did. soory no pics yet. Since i dont have a back seat anymore i took mine and layed it ontop the trans tunnel and marked 2 spots to drill thru. insatlled to long bolds 2 inches or 2 and a half i dont recall. installed bols with large washers up from bottom of floor and with a lock washer and nut i bolted bolts to floor. Then using a lug nut and the looking lug from the spare tire carrier i dont have anymore i use that to secure it with. works great and looks great best of all it is out of the elements.
Unread 08-22-2010, 03:47 AM   #254
Blkdvll
2004 WJ 

Enough of you YJ/TJ/JK guys :P

One for the Dub crowd

Mounted it on the driver side for quick access. Extremely secure, and quick to remove - 2 wing nuts
2004 4.0L w/242 WJ - Front tow points, Rear D Shackel, 3"/2.5" lift, 245/75 Falken ATs, Sway Bar delete, Overland Sliders, T-Case Skid, Hella 500's, Halved Bumper, Custom Rad.Core Skid, Soft 8's, MV50 OBA, Hi-lift/lift mate, shovel, (1st)On-Board Cooler, OME S.S., Rola Basket.....more soon
Blkdvll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2010, 01:42 PM   #255
LuckyCharm4x4

Here is where I keep my jack in the summer:

It's held on with a Master lock

In the winter I move it inside to keep it out of the elements.

Both mounting configurations seem to work very well for me.
LuckyCharm4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.