High Lift Jack Mounting Location - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > High Lift Jack Mounting Location

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 09-24-2009, 12:26 PM   #181
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaallred View Post
Welded some simple brackets to mine to mount it. I can remove it or install it in about two seconds, but is mounted very solid. It lives in the garage until it hits the trail, so i'm not worried about weather getting to it. I keep a can of liquid wrench in the toolbox to spray it down when/if needed.

How did you mount your gas can? Got any close ups?

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
bobdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2009, 12:49 PM   #182
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I mounted mine on the tub behind the seats. Keeps it clean and safe. Nothing worse than having to use it only to have to spend a half hour cleaning mud and crap out of it just so it will work.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2009, 10:10 AM   #183
YWU
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Hi-Lift Inside Mount - Cheap, Easy, Solid

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWU View Post
I have just completed a very simple and very inexpensive hi-lift jack mount for inside my TJ. I chose an inside mount to keep the jack clean and safe.

Use a 1/2 thread tap to thread the inside of the hole on the back of the rear roll bars (opposite the seatbelt). Purchase two heavy duty u-bolt plates - not the u-bolts, just the plates (I found mine at a farm supply store, they are about 3 1/2" long with two 1/2" holes - I think they are for a tractor suspension). Bend these plates to about a 45-degree angle (I used a vise and pair of vice grips to bend the plates). Use 1/2 bolts, washers and lock washers to mount the plates to the roll bars. Mount the right one so the plate is perpendicular to the rear of the Jeep (the base plate of the jack will attach here). Mount the left one so it is parallel to the rear of the Jeep (the top of the jack runner will attach here). Use 1/2 bolts, washers and wing nuts to secure the jack to these mounts. Mine is rock solid and safely out of the way. I used all grade-8 hardware (overkill). You may need to experiment with the bends and washers to get everything to line up but mine worked perfectly on the first try.
Here are some photos. I should clarify that I bent the plates 45-degrees from flat. The final angle is about 135-degrees (doesn't have to be perfect). Be sure to find the thickest, strongest plate for a solid mount.
hi-lift-mount.jpg   hi-lift-mount-left-.jpg   hi-lift-mount-left-b.jpg   hi-lift-mount-right-.jpg   hi-lift-mount-right-b.jpg  

YWU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 07:27 AM   #184
pielet97
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Anyone mount it to their Currie tire carrier?
Unread 10-06-2009, 08:25 AM   #185
Dakotah
1999 TJ Wrangler 

My Hi-Lift Extreme gets mounted to my hood with fire extingushers brackets/bolts/wing nuts by using the torques head bolts on the hood hinges...Cost $0.00. It only gets mounted there for trail rides. Surely some POS would steel it in the city! Someone else stated how important it is to keep it and all the working parts lubed...how true!!
Unread 10-15-2009, 10:45 PM   #186
G-MANtj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

2- 2 1/2 (i think) exhaust hangers (the u-bolts) and 4 wing nuts. put the jack across the back window with the base on either side facing down. there are 2 holes in the base that line up perfectly with the u-bolts. then put the other u-bolt facing towards the back of the jeep and slip it through the holes in the tall jack part. i lock mine on with a short piece of chain and a big padlock. it doesn't make any noise and doesnt get in the way of the backseat, rear window or anything. best mod i have done to my jeep so far

ps... will post pics if requested.

edit: just do it like TJ311
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ311 View Post
Mounted inside with 2 2.5inch muffler clamps and 3 wing nuts. Total cost was about $6!
|---L-o||||||o-
()_)-()_)-o-()_)
G-MANtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2009, 10:53 PM   #187
SHAKEnBLAKE
1998 TJ Wrangler 

^^ yeah lets see some pics
Unread 10-15-2009, 11:19 PM   #188
G-MANtj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i can get more tomorrow if you want. but you should be able to get the basic idea from these. and yes i have my rear window closed, i just flipped it up for the pics.
|---L-o||||||o-
()_)-()_)-o-()_)
G-MANtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2009, 08:05 AM   #189
shu2kill
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i made a hilift/shovel mount to put mine in the hood....

shu2kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2009, 02:54 AM   #190
Fear
2000 TJ Wrangler 

How about mounting the jack vertically on the stock rear bumper of the TJ?

The problem would be attaching the upper part (the base would be bolted to the top side of the bumper).

Any clue?
Fear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2009, 03:17 AM   #191
MudDuck99
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear View Post
How about mounting the jack vertically on the stock rear bumper of the TJ?

The problem would be attaching the upper part (the base would be bolted to the top side of the bumper).

Any clue?
I'VE thought about this but i haven't figured out a way to keep the top secure. my bumper isn'y factory , but the top is flat.
MudDuck99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2009, 03:17 AM   #192
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

4" muffler clamps, 2 at the base, 1 at the top of the jack. Cut each u-bolt so that one bolt is longer than the other. Mount at the back on the rollbar with the longer of the bolts through the holes in the jack. Use wing nuts to tighten.

Photobucket is screwed right now but I'll post pics when able.
VanBCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2009, 04:51 AM   #193
Fear
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanBCguy View Post
4" muffler clamps, 2 at the base, 1 at the top of the jack. Cut each u-bolt so that one bolt is longer than the other. Mount at the back on the rollbar with the longer of the bolts through the holes in the jack. Use wing nuts to tighten.

Photobucket is screwed right now but I'll post pics when able.
Nice idea, but it wouldn't work with your top on!!!
Fear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2009, 04:57 AM   #194
daox
swampbutt

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RARECJ8 View Post
that's just my point. if u have to open the hood in an emergency to access an under hood situation-- like a fire-- or some electrical emergency, u can't fully open the hood, and this limitation in my opinion seems to hinder prompt engine bay access. I'd hate for an engine fire to engulf my rig because i could not fully open the hood to extinguish the source. function always wins over form.

GL

mb
i have mine mounted on the hood. now granted you can not open it all the way to the window but it opens pretty far. .. it is one of the hood mounts from quadratec. now i know you all are like? well emergency this and emergency that.... but to be honest you do not need to open the hood all the way back to the windsheild. you have plenty of room to move a fire extinguisher around to hit any crazy fires... unless ofcourse you are carrying some giant one around. a 3lb extinguisher can fit under the hood without more then a foot of room. i like some of the other mounts, but i still favor the hood mount. its out of the way and i'm more safe with it out there then hanging behind my head incase of some horrible wreck.

1990 YJ Build
daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2009, 03:01 PM   #195
MoCab
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Warn Tire Carrier

For all you guys with the Warn Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier, you know that Warn does not offer a Jack Mount.

Well check the slick mount offered by Durango4x4.com for the Warn setup.

They not only have mounts for Jacks but Jerry Cans and even a gear basket.

All are designed to bolt on to the Warn setup without modification.

http://durango4x4.com/jeep/images/durango/DGOW4056.jpg
MoCab is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.