High Lift Jack Mounting Location - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > High Lift Jack Mounting Location

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-14-2009, 07:56 PM   #166
silvergoat
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Fourtreks mounts.

There's the right wheelbase for every obstacle and the right obstacle for every wheelbase.
silvergoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2009, 08:29 PM   #167
DixiesCJ3B
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnoh View Post
mine

Click free

1954 CJ3B Willys
Hurricane 4, 3-spd with Warn Overdrive, Snow-plow

NGJC# 15
Low Output 4 cylinder Jeep Club Member #166
Build Thread
Are You An Offroad Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticGringo View Post
This "Jeep thing" is like dating a really really hot chick, who is crazy! Its alot of fun, you spend too much money, your up all night ending up sweaty & greasy from it, your friends are jealous, you get admission into some sort of weird club... but it gets mad at your for no reason, throws fits seemingly randomly, has unexplained issues which it somehow solves on its own only after you try a bunch of different things (and spend a bunch of money) to solve it... and yet you can't resist getting in it every chance you can.
DixiesCJ3B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2009, 05:06 PM   #168
JohnyPro
2006 LJ Wrangler 

LJ Hi-Lift interior mount

Hey, just found this thread...i installed my hi-lift inside my LJ along the tub behind the driver's seat. Base is clamped to the roll cage, top of the jack rests between the tub and back of the roll cage where it meets the tub again. No rattles with the isolator handle and its also keeps it from scratching the tub. With the soft top down it's under the arms and only makes the top sit a little crooked.

See my gallery for a pic of it. Dunno how to post pictures yet. Haven't read that thread since become a paying member...
CT Jeep Member #19
Yellow Jeep Member # 104
LJ Owners Group Member # 140

PMA: Positive Mental Attitude

- It's what reminds you as you're stuck in the mud, that at least you're stuck in the mud and not in an office cubicle!

God is great, Beer is good, an' people are crazy!

[QUOTE][COLOR="DarkRed"][B]DEVILDG03[/B][/COLOR]
This is my Jeep. There are many like it, but this one is mine.[/QUOTE]
JohnyPro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2009, 08:33 PM   #169
TJ311
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Mounted inside with 2 2.5inch muffler clamps and 3 wing nuts. Total cost was about $6!

TJ311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2009, 11:03 PM   #170
Zachbmhs792
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesx2 View Post
I still think I have the best mounting location
Where did you get that mounting bracket from?
Zachbmhs792 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2009, 09:51 PM   #171
veddersbetter
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RARECJ8 View Post
that's just my point. if u have to open the hood in an emergency to access an under hood situation-- like a fire-- or some electrical emergency, u can't fully open the hood, and this limitation in my opinion seems to hinder prompt engine bay access. I'd hate for an engine fire to engulf my rig because i could not fully open the hood to extinguish the source. function always wins over form.

GL

mb
I was thinking it was a dumb place too. It was mounted there by the previous owner. Figured the hood would be heavy or wouldnt open all the way. Heres my review
Pros:
1. Hood opens very easliy and as far or farther than the stock hood prop will allow. It also removes more easily than expected.
2. As far as elements IMO it would be far worse in the rear of the vehicle. Anyone that lives in the snowbelt look at the rear of your car after driving in a good snowstorm..a lot of roadgrime back there in summer after a good rain as well.
3. In a frontal accident which is normally the only high speed accident people are in...the jacks going forward.

Cons:
"Pro #3 is good for me...NOT good for them unfortunately

Not knocking anyones ideas at all as I may move mine (actually because of the "con"...the reason I searched this thread)..but I can understand the reason to mount it there now

Not a great pic but here it is....

veddersbetter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2009, 10:59 PM   #172
JFranko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by veddersbetter View Post
I was thinking it was a dumb place too. It was mounted there by the previous owner. Figured the hood would be heavy or wouldnt open all the way. Heres my review
Pros:
1. Hood opens very easliy and as far or farther than the stock hood prop will allow. It also removes more easily than expected.
2. As far as elements IMO it would be far worse in the rear of the vehicle. Anyone that lives in the snowbelt look at the rear of your car after driving in a good snowstorm..a lot of roadgrime back there in summer after a good rain as well.
3. In a frontal accident which is normally the only high speed accident people are in...the jacks going forward.

Cons:
"Pro #3 is good for me...NOT good for them unfortunately

Not knocking anyones ideas at all as I may move mine (actually because of the "con"...the reason I searched this thread)..but I can understand the reason to mount it there now

Not a great pic but here it is....

Xabajillion

I like mine on the hood, mainly because I don't plan on using the Jack, but it's there for peace of mind, should I need it. By being on the hood, it's not taking up space inside, and it's using space that otherwise would be unoccupied if I didn't have a jack. Another con to this, which doesn't really apply to me, is that with the Jack on the hood, you can't fold down the windshield.
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #494
JFranko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2009, 10:09 PM   #173
crawler86
1998 TJ Wrangler 

HI-Lift budget mount

So here's what i did... it's not on the outside, but it works. I mounted mine on the back portion of my rollbar using 2 exhaust clamps that i painted black. it doesn't move around on me and it's a clean look.. can't get much cheaper than that and come out with a decent look....
Unread 08-01-2009, 10:20 PM   #174
joeYJeep95
1997 TJ Wrangler 

made this mount for mine
Unread 08-09-2009, 12:46 PM   #175
1way2go
1972 C101 

I love the jack but if it gets a little dirty it can realy screw up! I keep mine inside now.
1way2go is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2009, 06:52 PM   #176
roccomonte
1991 YJ Wrangler 

roccomonte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2009, 09:54 AM   #177
mattyfly42
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Just finished my hood mount. Used the number stops from the spare tire carrier with bolts through the hood and finished it with a wing nut. I also have room for a shovel or axe. Not worried about weather. Always sunny in Cali. I'll post pics when I get them.
mattyfly42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2009, 09:18 AM   #178
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_user View Post
I'm sure Grandman won't mind me posting up a pic of his YJ, but his is mounted on the hood.

The best I have...

thanks for the answer about hood opening.....

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
bobdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2009, 07:41 PM   #179
YWU
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have just completed a very simple and very inexpensive hi-lift jack mount for inside my TJ. I chose an inside mount to keep the jack clean and safe.

Use a 1/2 thread tap to thread the inside of the hole on the back of the rear roll bars (opposite the seatbelt). Purchase two heavy duty u-bolt plates - not the u-bolts, just the plates (I found mine at a farm supply store, they are about 3 1/2" long with two 1/2" holes - I think they are for a tractor suspension). Bend these plates to about a 45-degree angle (I used a vise and pair of vice grips to bend the plates). Use 1/2 bolts, washers and lock washers to mount the plates to the roll bars. Mount the right one so the plate is perpendicular to the rear of the Jeep (the base plate of the jack will attach here). Mount the left one so it is parallel to the rear of the Jeep (the top of the jack runner will attach here). Use 1/2 bolts, washers and wing nuts to secure the jack to these mounts. Mine is rock solid and safely out of the way. I used all grade-8 hardware (overkill). You may need to experiment with the bends and washers to get everything to line up but mine worked perfectly on the first try.
YWU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2009, 09:32 PM   #180
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWU View Post
I have just completed a very simple and very inexpensive hi-lift jack mount for inside my TJ. I chose an inside mount to keep the jack clean and safe.

Use a 1/2 thread tap to thread the inside of the hole on the back of the rear roll bars (opposite the seatbelt). Purchase two heavy duty u-bolt plates - not the u-bolts, just the plates (I found mine at a farm supply store, they are about 3 1/2" long with two 1/2" holes - I think they are for a tractor suspension). Bend these plates to about a 45-degree angle (I used a vise and pair of vice grips to bend the plates). Use 1/2 bolts, washers and lock washers to mount the plates to the roll bars. Mount the right one so the plate is perpendicular to the rear of the Jeep (the base plate of the jack will attach here). Mount the left one so it is parallel to the rear of the Jeep (the top of the jack runner will attach here). Use 1/2 bolts, washers and wing nuts to secure the jack to these mounts. Mine is rock solid and safely out of the way. I used all grade-8 hardware (overkill). You may need to experiment with the bends and washers to get everything to line up but mine worked perfectly on the first try.
Post pics if you can....

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
bobdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.