High Lift Jack Mounting Location - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > High Lift Jack Mounting Location

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 03-09-2009, 03:02 PM   #136
Whsperz
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickpl View Post
I know I've posted it before, but I'll post it again.

Clamps are from McMaster-Carr. If you do a search on their site for "2 piece clamp-on shaft" you'll find em.
I have seen it posted before, but now that I am building my trail rack, I am seriously considering if and where I should relocate my Hi-Lift. I REALLY like your setup. I did go to McMaster-Carr and did a search and 1832 different selections came up. Think you could expand a little bit on the type of metal/sizes or perhaps a link?

Whsperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 06:22 AM   #137
apollojeep
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickpl View Post
I know I've posted it before, but I'll post it again.

Clamps are from McMaster-Carr. If you do a search on their site for "2 piece clamp-on shaft" you'll find em.
Northern AL...as in Huntsville area? I am...I need to get involved with a local club since I'm a lone jeeper in my circle of friends...
apollojeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 01:02 PM   #138
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yup, up in Huntsville. Shoot me a PM and we'll meet up.\

As for the McMaster site.

I got the search wrong. Try "two piece clamp on shaft collar" as the search string. You should see the 2 piece version as one of the choices on the right window pane. IIRC cage tube diameter is either 2 1/4 or 2.5". Somebody here can confirm I'm sure. Then the outer diameter is 1" extra (1/2" thick clamp x 2 'sides')

The key is to then drill tap it and fit a bolt in there. You can either shave the head off or thread the open end into the clamp once attached. You'll need some way to space it to make it secure and tight (hence the approach used in my setup).

I got this URL but not certain it will return what you want:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#shaft-clamps/=y07ym
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 01:37 PM   #139
DixiesCJ3B
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I just got done mounting mine to my cowl area

1954 CJ3B Willys
Hurricane 4, 3-spd with Warn Overdrive, Snow-plow

NGJC# 15
Low Output 4 cylinder Jeep Club Member #166
Build Thread
Are You An Offroad Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticGringo View Post
This "Jeep thing" is like dating a really really hot chick, who is crazy! Its alot of fun, you spend too much money, your up all night ending up sweaty & greasy from it, your friends are jealous, you get admission into some sort of weird club... but it gets mad at your for no reason, throws fits seemingly randomly, has unexplained issues which it somehow solves on its own only after you try a bunch of different things (and spend a bunch of money) to solve it... and yet you can't resist getting in it every chance you can.
DixiesCJ3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2009, 03:45 PM   #140
offrdjeepfreak8
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixiesCJ3B View Post
can you open your hood with it mounted there without taking the jack off?
offrdjeepfreak8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2009, 03:49 PM   #141
SHAKEnBLAKE
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdjeepfreak8 View Post
haha: "jack off"

Seriously though:

I know on my setup, with the jack mounted to the hood hinges (not the cowl) I cannot put the hood against the windshield, BUT I picked up a hood prop for 20 bucks and it looks like I will be able to lean the hood there while the jack is still attached. Looks like in his case it would be the same situation.
Unread 03-11-2009, 04:31 PM   #142
RARECJ8

just what is the attraction to a hood/cowl mounted jack? Seems the negatives would outweigh the positives. +: cool factor, accessibility, ??? -: limited hood range and possible damage to hood/paint in installation or removal. and front mounting will degrade the jack's mechanism, so when you REALLY need it, it may not work and someone has to go hunt up some WD40. IMO the rear mount is best and inside is even better, which offers a lower COG.

Is show more important that reliable performance?

Nothing personal guys, just wondering...

mb

Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel
www.hillsangels4x4.com
RARECJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2009, 07:25 PM   #143
DixiesCJ3B
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdjeepfreak8 View Post
Yea i can open the hood with it there, i cant open it all the way up with the jack on, but if i take it off i can still open it all the way. The stock prop that my jeep came with can still be used.

Yea it is out in the open and stuff there, but i will take it off every oil change that i do and grease it up and take care of any rust spots.

I dont understand what the worry is with banging up the hood taking it on and off. I guess on the off change that you did drop it, but i have taken it on and off a bunch of times now and i havent had any issues. Just reach you closer arm and pick up the bar then use your other arm and lift the heavier part.

1954 CJ3B Willys

NGJC# 15
Build Thread
Quote:
This "Jeep thing" is like dating a really really hot chick, who is crazy! Its alot of fun, you spend too much money, your up all night ending up sweaty & greasy from it, your friends are jealous, you get admission into some sort of weird club... but it gets mad at your for no reason, throws fits seemingly randomly, has unexplained issues which it somehow solves on its own only after you try a bunch of different things (and spend a bunch of money) to solve it... and yet you can't resist getting in it every chance you can.
Unread 03-11-2009, 07:27 PM   #144
yjjustforme
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
i see where you bolted the mount to the hinges (but did you just drill and bolt up the other bolts closest to the windshield) im thinking about doing the same to mine!
Unread 03-11-2009, 07:32 PM   #145
DixiesCJ3B
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjjustforme View Post
i see where you bolted the mount to the hinges (but did you just drill and bolt up the other bolts closest to the windshield) im thinking about doing the same to mine!
I drilled all the holes, nothing was mounted to the hinges

Here is a writeup of how i did it, also for the lights

The Write-up

Or you can just go to http://www.offroadjunkies.net its on there homepage

check it out

If you want i have a word version just without the pics, send me a pm if your interested.

1954 CJ3B Willys

NGJC# 15
Build Thread
Quote:
Unread 03-14-2009, 05:50 PM   #146
muddycj7

i like mine mounted on the hood on the tough stuff bracket.
muddycj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2009, 10:07 PM   #147
RARECJ8

Quote:
Yea i can open the hood with it there, i cant open it all the way up with the jack on, but if i take it off i can still open it all the way. .
that's just my point. if u have to open the hood in an emergency to access an under hood situation-- like a fire-- or some electrical emergency, u can't fully open the hood, and this limitation in my opinion seems to hinder prompt engine bay access. I'd hate for an engine fire to engulf my rig because i could not fully open the hood to extinguish the source. function always wins over form.

GL

mb

Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel
www.hillsangels4x4.com
RARECJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2009, 10:13 PM   #148
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I dont understand what the worry is with banging up the hood taking it on and off. I guess on the off change that you did drop it, but i have taken it on and off a bunch of times now and i havent had any issues. Just reach you closer arm and pick up the bar then use your other arm and lift the heavier part.
i dont see any issues if you sitting on flat ground but lets face it if your stuck, then odds are your not level, which would make it hard to get the lift off the hood, kinda like this pic
Unread 03-15-2009, 11:37 PM   #149
SHAKEnBLAKE
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RARECJ8 View Post
just what is the attraction to a hood/cowl mounted jack? Seems the negatives would outweigh the positives. +: cool factor, accessibility, ??? -: limited hood range and possible damage to hood/paint in installation or removal. and front mounting will degrade the jack's mechanism, so when you REALLY need it, it may not work and someone has to go hunt up some WD40. IMO the rear mount is best and inside is even better, which offers a lower COG.

Is show more important that reliable performance?

Nothing personal guys, just wondering...

mb
You make good arguments. Remember, they make hood props for TJ's so if you have one, the hood mount is not an aissue with getting/holding the hood open. Yeah you might occasionally want to take the jack off the hood to put the hood all the way back, but for a fire you could get in there fine.

I put the jack up there because I wanted it out of the tub. It's not really increasing the COG much compared to mounting it on the roll bar behind the seat. My jeep is a DD and I still use the backseat. I thought mounting it on the rollbar would interfere in putting my top back, as well as access to my little mini-trunk. So, it had to go outside. People who can keep it lubed shouldn't have problems. I'm hoping to make or buy some sort of bag to help keep it out of the elements, and maybe mount it on my rear tire carrier later...
Unread 03-16-2009, 10:16 AM   #150
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have mine mounted such that the back seat is still functional (when I have it in). My passengers have not hit their heads on it at all and it doesn't impair top up or down functionality.
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.