help!! rethreading hole - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > help!! rethreading hole

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 10-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
mjWJ12
2004 WJ 

help!! rethreading hole

I need advice on how to rethread the hole that goes the frame. When installing the hitch one of the bolts will not go in and im pretty sure i will have to rethread. Can anyone tell me what to buy to fix this issue.

Thanks
Mj

(04 WJ Laredo)3" IRO +3/4" front spacers; Custom rear bumper +d-rings; universal front tow hook; plasti-dipped 16" silverblades; premium sliders; custom hi-lift mount; 265/75/16 Cooper Discoverer ATP.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/mjwj12-build-thread-1436508/"]Here is my Build Thread[/URL]
mjWJ12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

tap and die kit from harbor freight. whatever size your hole is, step it up one size and crank out a new thread. Easy breezy covergirl!!!
brokenyoujoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

What ups bubbles? Anyway theste other dude is right on with the tap and die kit. Excellent tool to have. I will add though that there is a good chance that with the addition of a lil drill oil you may be able to use the correct size tap and chase the threads back and forth to clean them up. Id try this first and if it doesnt get em good enough drill it to the next size up and tap it.
Unread 10-11-2012, 10:33 AM   #4
printingray

Re-tap the threads. Its the best option. Select the tap that is slightly bigger than the original and try to install it. Get a bolt of same size of tap you're going to install. Then lubricate the bolt hole, you're trying to re-thread. Insert the tap in bolt and thread the tap in stripped bolt hole. You will be ready to your hitch with the newer bolt you've purchased.
Unread 10-11-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
mjWJ12
2004 WJ 

Thanks guys. Finished it up today
(04 WJ Laredo)3" IRO +3/4" front spacers; Custom rear bumper +d-rings; universal front tow hook; plasti-dipped 16" silverblades; premium sliders; custom hi-lift mount; 265/75/16 Cooper Discoverer ATP.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/mjwj12-build-thread-1436508/"]Here is my Build Thread[/URL]
mjWJ12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 03:54 PM   #6

Finish the job off right put some no seize ( like you would with a spark plug) in before you put in the new screw so it doesn't happen again.
416469 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.