Hand throttle - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Hand throttle

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-01-2006, 10:58 PM   #31
Weekender1969
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne4X4
This is the part from my junk draw that worked perfectly. If you know what it is, tell us. I have no clue what this little metal piece is "supposed" to be used for. Whatever it is, it worked. I got a few more I could mail out to somebody if they're interested. Just cover the shipping and one of them is yours.

Any way here's some pics.

First is it installed. I basically cut the cable to lenght then threaded the homemade bracket down the cable until it what right. Then I bolted it in and was done.

That blue "X" is where I drilled a hole just big enough for a nut and bolt I had.

Good luck,
J
Those are clamps, I have them on my pickup. They were installed by a accessory dealer who used them for "no drill" bed cover install.

Weekender1969 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2006, 11:32 PM   #32
CNY
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Another home-made one:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...38#post1718538
CNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2007, 09:00 AM   #33
SpoiledRotten
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timfromjersey
are they legal everywheres? I am in New Jersey and i would want to do one
Why wouldn't they be legal? If you look in a handicap's van, they have full hand controls if parralized from the waste down. My paw-n-law uses hand controls for brakes and accelerator in his van. Pulls the race car around with the van.
Christian Jeepers _ Member #2
United Four Wheel Drive Association _ Member
National Rifle Association _ Member
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2007, 01:32 PM   #34
jeepamongzukis

Nice project! I can definatly see where a hand throttle would be good for restarting on a steep incline. Those tabs could be sink clips, but they also look exactly like the tabs used to hold a removable glass/screen door in place.
jeepamongzukis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2007, 11:03 AM   #35
Heepajeep

Hand throttles are needed for the handicappers that do not have use of their legs and still drive.

With the control mounted to the shifter, does it effect the throttle when you shift?

And is the control lever the throttle or speed control off a self propelled lawn mower?

Looks good tho.

nevermind, you answered the source question while I posted the above.

I used a pto type pull-and-twist-to-lock cable on my CJ but it was an much easier install thru the sheet metal dash and firewall straight thru to the carb linkage.

Last edited by Heepajeep; 04-26-2007 at 11:18 AM..
Heepajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2007, 08:56 AM   #36
Airborne4X4
1948 CJ2A 

Tandem ten speed bike gear selector, not from a mower. Although, you could probably make one of those worked if you did some engineering.
Unread 06-09-2007, 11:54 AM   #37
ckowennos

Nice write up man, looks like a clean job. I did this to my XJ yesterday b/c I am going on a 7 hour road trip next weekend and wanted some cruise control.
ckowennos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2007, 04:56 PM   #38
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Made my own, very happy with it.

Last edited by Scotch740; 05-29-2008 at 07:33 AM.. Reason: Wrong thread
Scotch740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2008, 06:01 PM   #39
O2GO4LO
1998 TJ Wrangler 

That looks like a clip used for installing "storm window" or "winter glass" on a screen door. The screen comes out of the frame, and the storm window goes in, those look like the clips for securing them to door. BTW- good idea, that why I maintain a quality junk drawer (at least one) at home too!!!

Been there and back, and always in a JEEP!
Black Jeep Society Member #45
San Diego Jeep Owners Club Member #33
O2GO4LO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2008, 11:42 AM   #40
off-road man
2001 TJ Wrangler 

What about when you are not using it does ot affect the operation of the foot pedal at all?? I thought that maybe the shifter would have to much tension to let the pedal move easily.
off-road man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2008, 11:56 AM   #41
RARECJ8

not at all-- when the hand throttle is not in use, it sits, um... idle. the carb/intake linkage moves and the hand cable stays stationary-- until u need it by activating the shifter mounted lever. Do not use it for cruise control. Leave pleanty of slack in the line because if its too tight, some body or suspension flex can cause the hand cable to affect the throttle.

GL!

mb

Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel
www.hillsangels4x4.com
RARECJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2008, 03:28 PM   #42
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

I wound up buying the Teraflex version of this off my buddy for $20 and have yet to install it. It looks fairly simple though.

Jeep Wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.
CopperCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2009, 11:26 PM   #43
O2GO4LO
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Did it, Love it. i bought the indexed version (sounds like a little ratchet when I use it) but can adjust the tension of the indexing action with the thumb nut on the end. best 20 bucks I ever spent. I used an electrical connection (the circle one...lol) and a cotter pin to retain the cable on the throttle.

It's especially great for long freeway trips to give you gas foot a break without sitting weird....lol

Been there and back, and always in a JEEP!
Black Jeep Society Member #45
San Diego Jeep Owners Club Member #33
O2GO4LO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2009, 09:00 PM   #44
buckshot500
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Cant remember where, but I saw this mod somewhere else.

They used a small (like 3") section of stainless steel bead chain, between the throttle lever (on the carb) and the end of the cable.

When the throttle is closed, there was a little slack in the bead chain.

This would prevent any throttle movement, due to body flex.

EDIT; after two hours of google searching, I found this;
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout/faq/handthrottle.html

Last edited by buckshot500; 03-20-2009 at 07:05 AM..
buckshot500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2009, 03:00 PM   #45
YJMCBoy
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekender1969 View Post
Those are clamps, I have them on my pickup. They were installed by a accessory dealer who used them for "no drill" bed cover install.
I have those clips too- except the ones you are referring to are a lot larger. I was thinking the same thing until I saw the pic of the clip next to the quarter, mine are a bit smaller than a dollar bill.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.