Hand throttle - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Hand throttle

Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 09-07-2006, 06:18 PM   #16
Hopper_
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone ever seen one of the floor mounted ones that re use in semis in a Jeep? i have a friend with one in his trail only Bronco and I'm thinking of putting one in the Jeep.

These things are one of the very best mods you can make to any manual tranny equipped vehicle. They make rocks 110% easier. Also good for cruise control.

Hopper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2006, 01:26 AM   #17
RARECJ8

in addition to the 3rd foot, it helps run up and keep RPMs steady for either running the premier power welder or to air up tires w/ the york driven OBA. Only caution is if u have extreme flex, i found it pulled the cable and caused unwanted RPM jumps. Still, worth the $10 for the bike store parts.

mb

Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel
www.hillsangels4x4.com
RARECJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2006, 12:02 PM   #18
nailhead

Those are screendoor clips, used to hold in the glass or the screen, depending on the season. Het themn at home depot. Careful though, they are aluminum and are thin on the one end.

Steve
nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2006, 03:53 PM   #19
1stJeepyj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Doesn't it bend the cable each time you press the gas pedal? Does it give any resistance to the pedal? Besides my concerns, it looks like a great install and I'm going to copy.
Thanks, Glenn
95 YJ, 2.5L, 32x11.50x15 Dunlop Mud, MSD ignition, 4.0 throttle body w/spacer, Black all rattle can, Taurus electric fan, K/N cone filter, 2" BL, 1" H/D shackles, 1.5" Black Diamond suspension lift, soft top, Harbor Freight 8000Lb winch, Pioneer CD reciever w/4 speakers, Cobra CB, Posi-Loc, Coca Cola Bottle opener, custom rear bumper, 48" Hi-lift Herculined tub, 11 lights in front and two backup driving lights
1stJeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2006, 04:03 PM   #20
Airborne4X4
1948 CJ2A 

When the hand throttle is in it's resting postion, applying throttle with the gas pedal is no problem. The wire cable from the hand throttle just bends up and out of the way. When you engage the hand throttle, the gas pedal's wire cable just bends out of the way. So, when doing this installation, cut the sheath (the black outer portion of the hand throttle cable) several inches back from the attachment point on the throttle body. Four inches of exposted wire should be enough.
Unread 09-10-2006, 04:17 PM   #21
tommaho
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailhead
Those are screendoor clips, used to hold in the glass or the screen, depending on the season. Het themn at home depot. Careful though, they are aluminum and are thin on the one end.

Steve

I considered that too, but the machine screws are way too long to be useful on a screen door.
Unread 09-10-2006, 09:31 PM   #22
1stJeepyj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

One more stupid question, Where did you get the cable and lever? What is it?
Thanks, Glenn
95 YJ, 2.5L, 32x11.50x15 Dunlop Mud, MSD ignition, 4.0 throttle body w/spacer, Black all rattle can, Taurus electric fan, K/N cone filter, 2" BL, 1" H/D shackles, 1.5" Black Diamond suspension lift, soft top, Harbor Freight 8000Lb winch, Pioneer CD reciever w/4 speakers, Cobra CB, Posi-Loc, Coca Cola Bottle opener, custom rear bumper, 48" Hi-lift Herculined tub, 11 lights in front and two backup driving lights
1stJeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2006, 09:37 PM   #23
Airborne4X4
1948 CJ2A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stJeepyj
One more stupid question, Where did you get the cable and lever? What is it?
Thanks, Glenn

The lever is a non-indexing gear selector off of a ten speed bike. The cable is a ten foot in lenght...from a tandem bike. Although you might be able to use a shorter wire. I chopped about 3 or 4 feet off of it. I should have measure the piece I cut off, but it was in the trash and gone before that thought crossed my brain.
Unread 09-12-2006, 04:10 AM   #24
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

i'm afraid to do this, because i'm a wuss, but the cruise controll would be a great thing. why not for 10 bucks.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2006, 08:02 PM   #25
Airborne4X4
1948 CJ2A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus
i'm afraid to do this, because i'm a wuss, but the cruise controll would be a great thing. why not for 10 bucks.

Don't be afraid. Do the 30 minute install. If you don't like it, do the 5 minute uninstall. That simple.

I got over my fear when I took a jigsaw to my corners during the LED stoplight mod.

Don't turn away from fear, get in front of it!!!
Unread 09-15-2006, 08:40 PM   #26
TJ on the Rocks

Good job Airborne4x4 ! I've had the RE version setting around in the box it came in for like 2 years now . Yours looks better
[SIZE="4"][/URL][/B][COLOR="Red"][/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE="3"][URL="http://www.stickylee.com/catalog/index.php"]www.stickylee.com[/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/CENTER][/SIZE]
TJ on the Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2006, 06:28 PM   #27
kevin A Whitler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The spring on the Throttle body, does it have the tension to pull the lever back in place or does it stay in wahatever position you place it?. I would like to do this to my YJ, and use as cruise.. Whats your thoughts? If the spring pulls the throttle lever back, What about a PTO locking cable?

Whats your thoughts?
kevin A Whitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2006, 07:53 PM   #28
Airborne4X4
1948 CJ2A 

The stock spring on the trottle body doesn't have the strength to pull the hand throttle closed. Once you lever up the hand throttle to the RPM you want, it stays there.
Unread 10-31-2006, 12:55 PM   #29
dr hook
1996 ZJ 

great writeup, i bought my gear selector/ cable last wee and just haven't had time to hook it up yet.
Unread 10-31-2006, 04:59 PM   #30
KrazyGimp
1982 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZG23
...As for the shaky trail/throttle pedal problem...next time you are out on surface like that..find the correct speed you want, and push your foot into the transmission hump...hold your foot against the hump instead of trying to hold down the gas...try it...youll be amazed how much smoother it is...
Good recomendation. This works extremly well with a Herculined tub. Your foot wont slip at all. Sometimes I try to push the gas down and can't figure out why I can accelerate, it's because my fat foot is sticking to the tranny hump . Another trick I have used is to get some heavy duty throtle return springs. It takes quite a bit of force to move the gas pedal down, resulting in less throttle blips when you hit a bump.

Props to the OP for a super clean install though. It almost looks factory!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK
...that's why you push in that little nipple (hehe.. I said nipple on the internet :D )
KrazyGimp is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.