Hand throttle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Hand throttle

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 09-03-2006, 10:56 PM   #1
Airborne4X4
1948 CJ2A 

Hand throttle

Easy install. 30 minutes top. 15 bucks in parts.

Pretty cool, eh?

Nice little install, no real problems. I originally planned on running the cable and sheath down through the shifter boot and underneath the tub then back up past the tranny to the engine compartment. I decide against that when I noticed I'd need to cut on the boot underneath the tub. I ended up running the cable through a rubber plug up and to the right of the gas pedal. Worked out awesome. From there I pulled it up to the top of the motor and coiled it back toward the thottle body. Used that retainer there on top of the valve cover. Very conveniant. I use a part from my junk draw to secure it to the same bracket that holds the gas pedal cable. The finale to the install was looping the cable and camping it down and then using black electrical tape to thicken the stick shifter, giving the clamp on the gear selector something to hold on to.

Had to bribe my 7 month pregnant wife with promises of me changing some future dirty diapers to work the gas and the hand throttle for me while I checked clearances and to see if there was any interferrances. Looked good.

All in all I'm happy with the results, it's a bit touchy, I left no slack in the line. I think got enough pull to redline it, didn't try to though.

I did go back and zip-tie a few places. I can't await to try it out on the trail.

Unread 09-03-2006, 11:09 PM   #2
eclipse27
2002 TJ Wrangler 

great job on the install....

just don't know y u would want to do it....esp with a manual, imo it would be alot harder / more tricky to use. But props on the work looks good.
eclipse27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2006, 11:30 PM   #3
Timfromjersey

if you dont mind me asking whats the advantage of having a throttel like that?
Timfromjersey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2006, 11:31 PM   #4
Airborne4X4
1948 CJ2A 

Supposed to help when you need that "3rd" foot. I haven't ever used one, but I could see the "usability" of it, and for chump change, why not give yourself the option of having it.

Plus it'll bump up your RPMs during a long winch or while using an onboard welding unit.
Unread 09-04-2006, 01:11 AM   #5
jzmtl
2000 TJ Wrangler 

And for when you going over rocks and the jeep shakes so much that you can't keep a steady foot.
jzmtl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2006, 08:47 AM   #6
Airborne4X4
1948 CJ2A 

hand throttle bracket...homemade

This is the part from my junk draw that worked perfectly. If you know what it is, tell us. I have no clue what this little metal piece is "supposed" to be used for. Whatever it is, it worked. I got a few more I could mail out to somebody if they're interested. Just cover the shipping and one of them is yours.

Any way here's some pics.

First is it installed. I basically cut the cable to lenght then threaded the homemade bracket down the cable until it what right. Then I bolted it in and was done.

That blue "X" is where I drilled a hole just big enough for a nut and bolt I had.

Good luck,
J
Unread 09-04-2006, 08:52 AM   #7
Airborne4X4
1948 CJ2A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse27
great job on the install....

just don't know y u would want to do it....esp with a manual, imo it would be alot harder / more tricky to use. But props on the work looks good.
Part of the reason WAS because I have a manual. I'm sure some practice will be necessary before I'm good at using this thing. I'll keep posting about what I use it for.
Unread 09-04-2006, 08:37 PM   #8
Chuck Cook

I can tell you what you use it for. Black Bear Pass in Colorado. You come around a hairpin turn too tight for even a CJ and the nose is pointed down at Telluride some 2000 feet below you. You don't want to try the jump from brake/clutch to clutch/throttle in that situtation. I did this on my CJ 30 years ago, and it was great. I used it for restarting on step uphills also so I didn't start rolling back and then take the chance of flipping over backward when I hit the gas and clutch. Now I have an automatic, but you will be glad you did this hand throttle. Congrats on a nice install. Chuck
Super Swampers 32x10.5x15 and fender trimming
Chuck Cook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2006, 08:48 PM   #9
tommaho
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne4X4
This is the part from my junk draw that worked perfectly. If you know what it is, tell us. I have no clue what this little metal piece is "supposed" to be used for. Whatever it is, it worked. I got a few more I could mail out to somebody if they're interested. Just cover the shipping and one of them is yours.

Looks like they're sink clips, used on the underside of a sink to snug it down into the countertop cutout. No, I don't need any.

Tom
Unread 09-04-2006, 08:51 PM   #10
AZG23

yup....its nice for all those reasons listed...it can even help you warm it up in th eam, and cool it down with the A/C in the summer...just take it up to 1100 and let er run for a minute....

As for the shaky trail/throttle pedal problem...next time you are out on surface like that..find the correct speed you want, and push your foot into the transmission hump...hold your foot against the hump instead of trying to hold down the gas...try it...youll be amazed how much smoother it is...

"If you cant understand that, your face needs to be set ablaze with kerosene and promptly put out with a wet brick."
AZG23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2006, 09:26 PM   #11
Timfromjersey

are they legal everywheres? I am in New Jersey and i would want to do one
Unread 09-04-2006, 10:16 PM   #12
Airborne4X4
1948 CJ2A 

Don't know for sure if it's legal here in Indiana, either. However, I really don't think too many cops around would even know what it is to beable to say it's illegal or not.

A good portion of the cops around here I went to school with. They were idiots then and likely still are.

Tom. Thanks for the ID work.
Unread 09-05-2006, 11:06 AM   #13
tj4jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommaho
Looks like they're sink clips, used on the underside of a sink to snug it down into the countertop cutout. No, I don't need any.

Tom

That's what I think they are too...
Unread 09-05-2006, 01:04 PM   #14
JJs99TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

nice work, i thought about going that route but got lazy and
decided to buy the RE kit, i think it was $25 or so?

its good to have as a "3rd foot" as mentioned, also good for
winch use to keep your RPMs up, and though its not recommended
i use mine as cruise control on the freeway
JJs99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2006, 01:28 PM   #15
Timfromjersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredjulian
nice work, i thought about going that route but got lazy and
decided to buy the RE kit, i think it was $25 or so?

its good to have as a "3rd foot" as mentioned, also good for
winch use to keep your RPMs up, and though its not recommended
i use mine as cruise control on the freeway
that is what i was thinking i am too cheep pay the extra money for the cruse control. it is a cheeper idea thanks for the idea guys.

anybody know if its legal or not? especialy in new jersey?

and it looks very clean mod. good job

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.