gatmog presents: el-cheapo mountaineer - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > gatmog presents: el-cheapo mountaineer

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank SkidTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 10-22-2007, 01:16 PM   #16
paulmatyn

1992 XJ Cherokee 

i spy a danger. a tow strap with metal ends. a no no in my book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysEdition04 View Post
After reading 7-8 of your posts I've come to the conclusion that you may be mentally retarded, which is why I won't ask what "brain guts" are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Dodgers View Post
I'd rather take the chance and belive in God than take the chance and not.
Cuz ya got nothing to lose by believing, but ya sure might if ya don't.
White Jeep Club Member-2027
paulmatyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2007, 06:41 PM   #17
nicholas.hodges

this is great, dont they make some lawn furniture out of pvc??? great job!!
nicholas.hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2007, 09:34 PM   #18
ReconMill
Flat-4 Turbo

I think black diamond plate over that would be oh so sexy.

I want to do this...
ReconMill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 12:37 AM   #19
gatmog

Update:

Over a year later, this thing is still holding strong. The bars are all still true and not curving south dispite having supported an 80lb punching bag for two hours, several crates of ammunition (gunshow hording), rifles, groceries, delivery of a full sized spare tire, you name it!

EDIT: Please don't keep a full sized spare tire or any spare tire on the rack. I did it just for a delivery, but still--while the rack can stand the weight, the spare tire makes for a killer projectile in an collision or rollover! I don't want to hear that a fellow Jeeper died because of my rack idea!! Put it UNDER the rack and tie it down!!!
Unread 02-06-2008, 01:20 PM   #20
bigred_topher
1995 ZJ 

this is actually a reall good idea.... i was going to get one of those alluminium ones that can hold more weight but i don't carry all that much stuff so this is a cheap and easy way of doing it!!!! props
SOLD 95 ZJ, 7.5" Rustys, custom LA's, 35's, HP30, Ford 9" Posi Trac, 4.56f&r, custom f&r bumpers, 231 TC, CAI, TB spacer, flowmaster 50 series, adjustible front tracbar, rustys steering conversion[/COLOR]
Red Jeep Club Member #458
bigred_topher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2009, 05:28 PM   #21
xwildman138x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Thats really cool man nice job. I would build this in a sec if I didn't have to fit a 100 lb shepherd in the back. Great idea though. Oh and those straps you have with the metal hooks on the end. They look like exactly like my harbor freight straps. Do yourself a favor drill out the rivets on those clips. Get rid of them. The first time you use them they will twist up and be useless. Also what happened to me was I was pulling somebody out in the snow and my hands were cold. That clip sliced me to the bone and I didn't even know it. I got in the truck and got blood everywhere, all over the cloth seats in my expedition. Needless to say there was a "F'n harbor freight" uttered.

Tire Carrier

Ma & Pa's Rig
xwildman138x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2009, 11:24 PM   #22
MLTXJ9889
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I built mine today. Cost me somewhere around $20. I Used a different design and filled the inside of the pvc with great stuff expanding foam to make it more rigid. Also painted it army green haha.
MLTXJ9889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2009, 02:18 PM   #23
BigBenjaminBaby

That's a pretty sweet install. I did something similar with some random Jeep Wrangler Parts I pieced together and just made them fit. Good selection of stuff on certain things there if anyone else has plans on doing something like this.

Anyways, sweet install.
BigBenjaminBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 10:18 PM   #24
lil_red_wagon
1991 XJ Cherokee 

i know its a old post but EMT conduit tubing would work. its steel and can weld the elbos and t all togeter or use the set screws and locktite them in place. cost a lil more but will hold more weight.
'90 Cherokee 4.0l, dodge hd NP231 w/SYE, open cooling system conversion, HP44 w/ trutrac, 9" w/ detroit, 6in lift, 4.56s, 36's, custom steering & adj track bar, removable doors, TCU control box, on board air, much more
lil_red_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2010, 11:18 AM   #25
fla_cracker
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_red_wagon View Post
i know its a old post but EMT conduit tubing would work. its steel and can weld the elbos and t all togeter or use the set screws and locktite them in place. cost a lil more but will hold more weight.
Not sure but is EMT conduit galvinized or coated? Would be bad to breath during welding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2Fix View Post
"somewhere between really crappy and kind-of-crappy gas mileage."
fla_cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 06:12 AM   #26
collegejeeper21
2004 TJ Wrangler 

PVC Rack

That's sweet man, I did something like that in the back of my '04 Wrangler... the fiance and I were going to Gatlinburg, TN for spring break and wanted to take the jeep and our dogs. We have two dogs, a German Shepherd/ Choc Lab mix and a Great Dane/Boxer mix. Well, long story short, I took some ideas from online and built an interior cargo rack that fits between the rear roll bars, extends up to the front seats, and across the back of the jeep. We put a ton of stuff up there. It's mounted to the horizontal roll bars, right behind the sound bar and also on the vertical rear roll bars, all with hose clamps. I don't have a back seat, so the dogs rode down there, and all of our gear went up in the rack, it worked out great for the trip and I've kept it in place as a kind of cage for the dogs when the top is down. I love it and it only cost me about $70 to build.
collegejeeper21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2014, 11:31 PM   #27
AF-Jeff
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

I have an old 79 cherokee and was wanting to do a jeep but truly awesome mod to it and lo and behold I find this. This is pretty awesome and with a cover on top I can keep my back window down. Thanks brother.
AF-Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.