Free high flow air intake - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Free high flow air intake

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Shop Stuff to Complete the Job!

Unread 09-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #16
Indy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry777 View Post

No more high rev`s
Youve said this twice and im not sure what you mean.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #17
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dealer View Post
so how about those with strokers, exhaust, bored tb, etc?? Just curious
I don't know.
Unread 09-27-2013, 10:40 AM   #18
bentbolt
2004 WJ 

More cubic inch, more cams and so one do need more air. But there is always a happy medium. My new 4.0 has been punched .030,ported and milled head valves are 1.94/1.50 crane cam, 9.25 compression bigger injectors. It ran fine like this but once I installed 60mm tb and cold air intake the motor came alive and run night and day different.

Ps never use those junk k&n air filters, your machinist will thank you
bentbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #19
Terry777
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
Youve said this twice and im not sure what you mean.
Hey Indy,

Sorry for the late reply, no more high rev`s I meant my engine no longer sounds like it over rev`s between gears and the tranny goes through the transition of gears smoother.

The engine sounds less like a noisy crude machine and a lot more like an engine should, know that it`s breathing like a champ !

More relaxed less up tight, and when you give it some pedal the growl is deep and throaty not just the high rev sound before the hack
Terry777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 06:13 AM   #20
bobjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
in a TJ, this is not accurate, the stock airbox flows a bit more than 100 cfm more than the stock TB can flow on the 4.0L. as far as the intake on an XJ, i am not sure of the flow rates

no one should ever run a K&N filter, especially on a vehicle that will go offroad
Based on what testing? I'm not saying it's not accurate, but this is said over and over without any actual measurements.

There's more to flow than just measuring the diameter of your intake.
Unread 10-03-2013, 11:48 AM   #21
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp View Post

Based on what testing? I'm not saying it's not accurate, but this is said over and over without any actual measurements.

There's more to flow than just measuring the diameter of your intake.
It has been tested and recorded. On my phone now and having trouble finding it, but its something around 450 cfm in the oem intake and the oem tb has a maximum flow of around 350 cfm.
Ironhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #22
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

my statement was a bit off, the stock intake and tb can flow a max of about 450 cfm, the engine can use a max of around 380 cfm at wot

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ai...e-cfm-1188902/
Ironhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2014, 10:21 AM   #23
slickrocksteve
2006 TJ Wrangler 

If you wonder about the use of those K&N's, look at the turbo diesel use. They flow a whole lot more air than we do, and DO NOT like thidea of K&N. The filters like K&N look like it would be a great idea to let more air into the system. BUT...it also lets a s--t pot full of dirt, and we DO DRVE in the dust and dirt ALL the time. I live in the high desert, and we have a silt that is highly alkaline, due to this having been an inland sea a couple hundred thosand years ago. I also drive a Cummins diesel, and do oil anylasis on my oil. when I used the K&N, the oil became saturated with fine grit, and lots of magnesium, phosporus, and calcium in the oil.
I DO NOT RECOMMEND you use any high flow filters, as they WILL allow more air, AND A LOT more grit into you expensive engine.
Ok, subjective rant ended!

Slickrock
slickrocksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2014, 10:42 AM   #24
JeepCK
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickrocksteve View Post
I DO NOT RECOMMEND you use any high flow filters, as they WILL allow more air, AND A LOT more grit into you expensive engine.
Slickrock
I agree with that statement. I think the dirt and grit that the high flow air filter allowed to pass into my engine was the reason my car died.

Back years ago, the first car I had, I made it into quite a fine "ricer". Had it lowered, intake, exhaust.. all that fun stuff.

The intake I chose was a Weapon-R Dragon Intake. Def made the engine sound better (had a nice throaty sound) and perform a bit better.

But.... the intake's filter was horrible.

Imagine taking off your air filter completely. That was the sound and the increased performance that the intake provided... and that was also the same level of filtering that I received.

About 15,000 miles after I installed the air intake, the engine died. It was a cheap car and it was getting up there in miles (had about 125,000miles at the time) so it wasn't worth fixing... I took all the mods out and sold off what I could.

But I assume that there was a ton of dirt and grime that made its way into the engine that cause the engine to prematurely fail.

Now I value a higher level of air filtering over the minimal performance gains.
2009 3.7L Laredo Black | Two-Toned Leather | RER Nav/DVD/BA System | Viper alarm | HID's in the lows and fogs | Westin Brush Guard | Tinted Tails | Custom Blue LED Interior/Rear Hatch Lights - White Rock Lights| Rough Country 1.5" Spacers | General Grabber 255/70r17 -- Island Beach State Park 4x4 Mobile Sportsfishing Permit --
JeepCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2014, 09:53 AM   #25
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

from all these posts, makes my old oil bath filters almost worth their weight in gold!
but even with those, i still do something of a pre-filter on them. i use those thin blue headnets you see the nurses wear in operating rooms. they do a great job here where there is way to much sand and salt used on the roads in winter.
Unread 03-09-2014, 12:41 PM   #26
Terry777
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by strvger01 View Post
from all these posts, makes my old oil bath filters almost worth their weight in gold!
but even with those, i still do something of a pre-filter on them. i use those thin blue headnets you see the nurses wear in operating rooms. they do a great job here where there is way to much sand and salt used on the roads in winter.
Oil bath filters like the famous K&N oil bath filters just get the oil residue on your sensors and mess up the computer readings, not sure about older carb engines.

I`d never use a oil bath filter ever again gave me and others to many headaches before we figured out it was the oil on the sensors.
Terry777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2014, 02:13 PM   #27
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

1966 wagoneer, 327, 3 spd. no computer, no sensors, and my oil bath air cleaner is nothing like k&n really.
it works.
Unread 03-14-2014, 07:01 PM   #28
ravenworks
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by strvger01 View Post
1966 wagoneer, 327, 3 spd. no computer, no sensors, and my oil bath air cleaner is nothing like k&n really.
it works.
Oil bath systems are hard to beat but the big 3 got away from them for ease of maintenance.
I have been thinking about using a Donaldson dual element system, because I can get the filters cheap from dealer.
BTW Donaldson is the gold standard in heavy equipment industry.
Unread 03-15-2014, 07:52 PM   #29
MountainMike426
2002 TJ Wrangler 

You guys are kinda freakin me out now. I just bought a 2002 TJ a week ago and it has a K&N. Do I leave it? Replace it? I live/work near Atlanta but I do plan on being up on dirt roads when trout season is back in full swing. And I don't plan on going trail riding every weekend since it is my DD but I can't say I won't ever.
MountainMike426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2014, 08:42 AM   #30
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

one thing i do is to put a couple of those thin headnets like the nurses in the operating room use over my intake. that filters out the larger crud before it gets to the filter without restricting flow hardly at all. they also have them in a different shape for shoes that might be better for some intakes. i think you can buy them by the box as i think painters use them as well, just not sure if they are exactly the same or not.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.