Free high flow air intake - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Free high flow air intake

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-03-2013, 09:00 PM   #1
Terry777
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Free high flow air intake

Hey all, I`m cheap when it comes to getting ripped off so always on the lookout for a bright idea... I cam up with the below even though I was told it would be a bad idea due to the possibility of hydro locking the engine, I do not do deep water crossing ever and don`t drive stupid fast into deep puddles so no problems have ever come up... I`ve been driving with this mickey mouse upgrade for over a year and love it sounds like a V8

Cut out a larger section of the front part
on the lower section of the stock air box
to let in a larger amount of air :] So
much for the $500 high flow gizmos :/
Stock air filter for best filtration and
stock box with cut out is GOLD... Just
don`t drive stupid fast into deep water or
you could hydro lock your engine but
that's also true with the tiny dinky air
intake hole that's already there.......

Another one: There is a plastic plate or plastic plug directly in front of the dinky intake spout that is held in by 2 self tapping screws, remove the cover or whatever you want to call it and you will have more cooler outside air coming into the air box. Not all models of XJ have this area behind the head light covered but if it does take it out, it`s not to hard just don`t lose it and **** up your light wiring...

Terry777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
Terry777
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Should also mention, I did not notice gains in mpg but didn`t really take the time ( only 1 tank )or use proper tools to get the numbers just a crude estimate using the trip meter. It does go through the gears smoother in my auto trans and did I mention it sounds great when you goose it :]

No more high rev`s the engine breaths, stock exhaust system, stock air filter..

Did the high flow exhaust on my last XJ waist of time no MPG gains, loud even when trying to be polite. Only gain I got out of it was 0 to 60 in a heart beat but who needs that in a Jeep unless you do mud flats...

Give my idea a go you`ll be surprised I have no doubt of that...

Last edited by Terry777; 09-11-2013 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: MPG details
Unread 09-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I suggest drilling 3/4" holes in the stock air box on the side nearest the fender.

That will increase air flow all you need iMO, and I don't think it will increase chances of hydro-locking.

Combine that with a high flow filter such as KN, or my preference is a dry filter from AFE, and you're done.
Unread 09-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry777 View Post
Another one: There is a plastic plate or plastic plug directly in front of the dinky intake spout that is held in by 2 self tapping screws, remove the cover or whatever you want to call it and you will have more cooler outside air coming into the air box. Not all models of XJ have this area behind the head light covered but if it does take it out, it`s not to hard just don`t lose it and **** up your light wiring...
I don't think removing that plate will improve air flow enough to matter, but it might let rain into to air box. IMO

I like that plate.

Also, you're in British Columbia Canada. I'm in Western WA State. In our climates are the same, or very similar. We don't need to worry about cold air intakes, IMO. We need to get our engines warmer so they are at full op temp year round, instead of only on hottest days of Summer. Full op temp is 210F, which IRL is a range from 205F to 213F, IMO. My goal is to run at 210F year round, but so far I've never achieved that due to under-heating most of the year. In our climates, there is no need for a cold air intake.
Unread 09-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #5
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I don't understand this. I can't count how many times it's been said that the stock airbox provides all the air the engine could ever need, so why even take the risk to allow more water in? Because it sounds cool? Then get a better exhaust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573 View Post
I don't understand this. I can't count how many times it's been said that the stock airbox provides all the air the engine could ever need, so why even take the risk to allow more water in? Because it sounds cool? Then get a better exhaust.
The stock air box does not provide enough air.

For every person who says it does, there's another who says it doesn't.

IME it doesn't. A high flow air intake and filter helpes my gas mileage a little, and it idles smoother, has better pickup, and slightly more power.

I have an AFE intake and their dry filter.
Unread 09-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #7
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
The stock air box does not provide enough air.

For every person who says it does, there's another who says it doesn't.

IME it doesn't. A high flow air intake and filter helpes my gas mileage a little, and it idles smoother, has better pickup, and slightly more power.

I have an AFE intake and their dry filter.
in a TJ, this is not accurate, the stock airbox flows a bit more than 100 cfm more than the stock TB can flow on the 4.0L. as far as the intake on an XJ, i am not sure of the flow rates

no one should ever run a K&N filter, especially on a vehicle that will go offroad
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 12:33 AM   #8
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I heard TJ air box flows less than XJ due to the little trumpet intake thing at front of airbox on TJ.

I have experienced improvement in my XJ when I installed a higher flow intake.

There are lots of TJ and XJ guys who think stock airbox not enough.

I guess we'll have to disagree.
Unread 09-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #9
Terry777
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I agree about the high flow filters, nobody should be using them...

Reason is they let in to much dirt though the larger holes and since you don`t rebuild your engine after every race or off road trip then your asking for ****... Do the research lots of very detailed info online it just takes time to read through the dumb posts and find the goodies.

The stock filter does a great job, since I hacked open my air box I get better throttle response, smoother shifting, it does not rev as high and sounds like an engine should not some over revving peace of crap... It can breath

No need for high flow air filters, exhaust system, larger throttle body or even worry about that stupid factory dent in the down pipe works perfect with the hack...

I don`t do deep water anything or I`d have a snorkel.

Drilling holes in the fender side of the box won`t help in deep water but sounds like it might be a bit safer no doubt, I don`t do water crossings and if you go deep enough so the water is at your bumper it`s time for a snorkel anyway no ? You never know where a large hole is hiding and stock or drilling holes won`t save you.

Leave it stock, hack your air box and enjoy. The wreckers will always have more...

Let your engine breath that`s all it needs.

Not 100% sure about mpg savings my last Jeep I did the high flow exhaust so too much going on when I hacked it.
My new Jeep I hacked it right off the bat and it was all she needed no more of that high flow fluff for me I don`t race...

I`m sure this post will piss off people selling goodies & trinkets so keep an open mind.

Cheers
Unread 09-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #10
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Do you think any of the high flow filters are good?

I have an AFE high flow dry filter.
Unread 09-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #11
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Do you think any of the high flow filters are good?

I have an AFE high flow dry filter.
The stock paper filters clean the air better and flow more air than your intake can consume.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 03:10 PM   #12
Terry777
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
The stock paper filters clean the air better and flow more air than your intake can consume.
What he said, I just use fram and there`s plenty of flow...

Google search high flow air filters and read the forums and articles if you want the numbers and detailed information to back it up.

High flow air filter with lager pores in dusty off road situations, doesn't sound like good idea...
Unread 09-13-2013, 01:35 AM   #13
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My XJ has been running noticeably better with the high flow intake. I've experienced the difference.

However, you have given me concerns about filtration which I will research.
Unread 09-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #14
JeepCK
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry777 View Post
I agree about the high flow filters, nobody should be using them...

Reason is they let in to much dirt though the larger holes and since you don`t rebuild your engine after every race or off road trip then your asking for ****...
Agreed. Back when I was younger, I had a "street coupe" that I lowered, did the intake/exhaust with huge subs in the back. ..the whole 9 yards.

Something happened with the engine and it died. Ended up being wayyy to expensive to fix and parted out the car. But I theorize that my high-flow, fancy, intake/air filter prob let through too much dirt and junk and prematurely, ruined the engine. Sounded good, and got slightly better performance, but it wasn't too good for the engine.

Fast forward to my adult life -- my Jeep is wayy to valuable to be messing with the air filter. I'd rather keep my engine internals as clean as possible so it last long rather than getting .1 better MPG's or having the intake sound deep and throaty.

Idk... I just don't trust the air filtering abilities of these hi-performance intakes.

Just my two cents.
2009 3.7L Laredo Black | Two-Toned Leather | RER Nav/DVD/BA System | Viper alarm | HID's in the lows and fogs | Westin Brush Guard | Tinted Tails | Custom Blue LED Interior/Rear Hatch Lights - White Rock Lights| Rough Country 1.5" Spacers | General Grabber 255/70r17 -- Island Beach State Park 4x4 Mobile Sportsfishing Permit --
JeepCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 09:28 AM   #15
The_Dealer
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
I heard TJ air box flows less than XJ due to the little trumpet intake thing at front of airbox on TJ.

I have experienced improvement in my XJ when I installed a higher flow intake.

There are lots of TJ and XJ guys who think stock airbox not enough.

I guess we'll have to disagree.
so how about those with strokers, exhaust, bored tb, etc?? Just curious

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.