Fix a front bumper? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Fix a front bumper?

August special - FREE XJ Unibody stiffeners when you buy a~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!

Unread 04-06-2014, 04:57 PM   #1
vintage1234

Fix a front bumper?

Nicked it while wheeling.... Front bumper took quite a dent... Could I just use a hammer and try to get the dent out? I've heart about using a heat gun, but I don't have one and there's no way I can take the bumper off without my parents noticing something is up.

image-2502855681.jpg

vintage1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2014, 05:09 PM   #2
chowner
2014 WK 

Don't wheel your parents rig?

Seriously though a either way is just going to pop the dent out the damage will still be obvious. You are going to have to own up to it sooner or later. I'd go with the honest road, always less hassle in the end.
chowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2014, 01:29 AM   #3
mig1289
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage1234 View Post
Nicked it while wheeling.... Front bumper took quite a dent... Could I just use a hammer and try to get the dent out? I've heart about using a heat gun, but I don't have one and there's no way I can take the bumper off without my parents noticing something is up.
I did the same thing when I was younger. Own up to it, its a lot easier in the long run. Gives you a reason to upgrade it to a steel bumper
Unread 04-08-2014, 06:51 AM   #4
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

It will need to be heated with an electric heat gun and pushed out from the back. It needs to be hot enough to burn your hand so be careful. Next use a rounded item like a broom handle to push out the dent. After the shape comes back cool it off with a wet rag to lock the corrected shape in.Heat guns are 30-40 bucks at Harbor Freight.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2014, 04:15 AM   #5
04Unlimired
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Just do what I did cut it into a stubby lol
04Unlimired is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2014, 05:35 AM   #6
AngryRedBird

Several good options posted above.. But in our case I simply drilled a couple of pilot holes at the back of the dimple.. with a stiff metal rod.. I worked the area back out a section at a time.. Starting at the outer circumference and working inward.. In other words don't try to pop the whole dimple out at once.. work up to it.
AngryRedBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2014, 06:16 AM   #7
scottconner

Iíve been through this my friend. When I accidently hit a pole my carís bumper was damaged too. Then I didnít know about any repairing tips. So I looked on the internet for learning some and found this amazing site where all repair tips were given in detailed information. I would suggest you also to learn some car repair tips online from here . I hope it can solve your problem.
scottconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2014, 08:29 PM   #8
8000ft
2009 JK Wrangler 

it doesn't take much heat. a hair dryer should work.
8000ft is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.