fire extinguisher - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > fire extinguisher

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 07-08-2008, 07:12 PM   #1
eagles4094
1998 TJ Wrangler 

fire extinguisher

has anyone done a homemade mount?

eagles4094 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2008, 11:57 PM   #2
athos76
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I havent used it, since I bought a velcro mount, but some thick zip ties, and a 1" piece of aluminum angle at the bottom to keep it from slipping out... Just zip tie the aluminum angle down, then rest the bottle and Ziptie the bottle down tight enough to where you can still slip it out. That how my friend does it.
athos76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2008, 01:27 PM   #3
eagles4094
1998 TJ Wrangler 

thanks....
eagles4094 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2008, 05:03 PM   #4
metallatem
1991 YJ Wrangler 

water bottle holder from a bike !!!
works great with small ones
Unread 01-22-2009, 07:34 AM   #5
donutsrd
1990 YJ Wrangler 

some large zip ties and velcro straps from hardware store.
donutsrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2009, 09:51 AM   #6
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

For roll bar extinguisher mounts I just hose clamp the plastic mount that comes with the extinguisher to the roll bar.
Mine currently resides in the plastic mount screwed to the floor beside the driver's seat.
I have also used Velcro "Onewrap" (great stuff!) to secure the extinguisher to the driver's seat floor mounting angle.

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2009, 07:57 PM   #7
Jeep2003
1946 CJ2A 

http://www.earlycj5.com/forums/showt...ght=fire+mount
Unread 01-22-2009, 08:07 PM   #8
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

guys!!!!!

Please don't use a mount designed for a house, or plastic ties, or water bottle mount!!!

In even a relatively low speed collision that extinguisher becomes a lethal weapon. Use a mount designed for a vehicle (or make one equivalently strong).
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2009, 10:31 PM   #9
Fire651
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
guys!!!!!

Please don't use a mount designed for a house, or plastic ties, or water bottle mount!!!

In even a relatively low speed collision that extinguisher becomes a lethal weapon. Use a mount designed for a vehicle (or make one equivalently strong).
AGREED!!!!!! From a firefighter who has seen a fare share of accidents, the last thing you need is another projectile during an accident. The same goes for cheap extinguishers (ones with the plastic pin/head assembly), steer clear, too many can be easily activated once the pin is dislodged or the head is snapped.

Fire651 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2009, 11:00 PM   #10
rkwfxd
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
guys!!!!!

X3 additionally, I have read a number of posts about extinguishers and the general consensus is you need at least a 5 pound bottle to do any good at all in a vehicle fire. This is from those that have actually put out fires and professional fire fighters. The size of a 5 pound bottle pretty much dictates a bottle/vehicle specific mount.
rkwfxd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2009, 08:39 AM   #11
flyboy14295
2000 WJ 

Coming from a firefighter, any small extinguisher that you will be able to easily mount and is probably a dry chemical extinguisher will just make a mess and not really do much. If there is smoke coming from the hood, leave the hood closed and get away from the car. The hood will restrict the airflow to the fire and slow the extension down a little.

I have a 2 1/2 pound dry chem extinguisher in the house mount that has been reinforced with much stronger metal.

New York City EMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneJeeper View Post
I came into this world via broken rubber, i'm not going out the same way.
flyboy14295 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2009, 11:09 AM   #12
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

Contrary to the above posts; I have successfully used small extinguishers to put out small fires (use your intelligence when dealing with fire and flammables, as well as at all other times).

"Run away" is not valid advice for most circumstances in life. Instead; evaluate the circumstances and assess your chances of success versus the possible risk to yourself and others.

I have also been in several collisions with extinguishers in the vehicle and not one has not come loose; mounted to the floor, my current extinguisher is unlikely to cause a problem if it did. I do agree that the extinguisher should be accessible and securely mounted; though. Again, use your intelligence.

If you want to live in a rubber padded world and helplessly depend on others for your life and well being; go ahead, but simple precautions will work, at least part of the time.

Just my $.02.

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2009, 05:40 PM   #13
careyfl
1986 CJ7 

Right on Happy joe.
careyfl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2009, 06:42 PM   #14
Jeep2003
1946 CJ2A 

right on x2 . notice the newer jeepers comments from the older jeepers
Unread 02-01-2009, 07:53 AM   #15
DEET
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy14295 View Post
Coming from a firefighter, any small extinguisher that you will be able to easily mount and is probably a dry chemical extinguisher will just make a mess and not really do much. If there is smoke coming from the hood, leave the hood closed and get away from the car. The hood will restrict the airflow to the fire and slow the extension down a little.

I have a 2 1/2 pound dry chem extinguisher in the house mount that has been reinforced with much stronger metal.
So what your saying is I should stand there on the trail and watch my vehicle slowly burn to the ground instead putting it out with a fire extinguisher? Seriously folks 99% of the time when you detect a vehicle fire it's still very small and can easily be put out with a small extinguisher. Where as maybe 1% of the time the fire department will be able to put it out in time to still be able to recognize what your vehicle was. I for one have never seen a fire truck on any of the trails I have run.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.