fender flare paint! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > fender flare paint!

CurrieSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 08-16-2009, 05:29 PM   #16
kswyg001
2010 JK Wrangler 

heat is a NO-GO. you will get weird spots in the plastic where you overheat it. i tried, it doesnt work. dont use heat. i painted mine on the jeep with Krylon Fusion Satin Black. washed them with dishsoap and a scrubby pad, rinse and dry thoroughly. mask the hellllll out of everything else. overspray is ridiculous. i unfortunately did not mask all that well and i have black overspray all over the jeep. no sanding is needed, no primer (krylon says no primer) and deff take your time. nice even strokes and make sure you let it dry before you drive it. i didnt let mine dry totally and now i have bugs embedded in the paint.

kswyg001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2009, 03:32 PM   #17
13mx
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah I used alot of newspaper when I painted mine. I prolly should have cleaned them up a little better than I did. I would use some aceatone if I did it again.
13mx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2009, 10:17 PM   #18
Solidsyko
1995 XJ Cherokee 

If I were to do it again I would mask and paint. I took them off to paint and it was a major pain in the butt as most of the mounting bolts broke off. Just something to think about.
Solidsyko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2009, 08:06 PM   #19
RKBA
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have used three paint products for Jeep black plastic trim over the past eight years: Krylon Fusion Satin Black, Rustoleum Textured for Plastic and Duplicolor Flexible Bumper Paint. The Duplicolor looks better, coats more evenly and lasts longer. It stinks to high heaven and takes a little longer to dry, but in my experience is a superior product in the rattle bomb solution to flare fade.

It also looks good on......

the bumpers
RKBA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2009, 02:25 PM   #20
robtre
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have painted fender flares but I want to make them Black, how much do I have to sand them down before I can re-paint?
Unread 09-30-2009, 04:01 PM   #21
jeepgurl775
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Can I use that on the side trim too? My XJ is red and all the trim is silver, but its so worn and faded you can see the red in places.
jeepgurl775 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2009, 09:08 PM   #22
WalrusPaul
1990 YJ Wrangler 

yeah you can use it on the side trim, shouldn't matter.

Krylon fusion is a no-sanding-required product. Scuff it with FINE sandpaper if you really want to.

I did it to mine, and it turned out real nice with the krylon fusion, haven't tried the flexible bumper paint mentioned above.

Looking for a set of four 35-37" tires you want to sell. PM me!
WalrusPaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2009, 09:51 PM   #23
jeepgurl775
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Right on, I can't wait to try it out!
jeepgurl775 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2009, 04:52 PM   #24
WalrusPaul
1990 YJ Wrangler 

even if it does fade in say, 2 years, how bad is it to take another 4 hours or so to fix it again.

Looking for a set of four 35-37" tires you want to sell. PM me!
WalrusPaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2009, 01:58 PM   #25
greensaharatj
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Just curious have any of you guys done this to the stock painted flares? I have the green ones that come with sahara edition, will the black paint work ok or should I do something else to them first?
2003 Jeep TJ w/RC 3.25 lift rockin 35x12.50r15 Dunlop Mud Rovers on Crager Soft 8's, Currie HD Steering system, Delta Quad-Bar headlights, KC 55watt fogs, 130watt long range KC daylighters on the windshield, Smittybilt Tube Fenders, Smittybilt X20 10k Winch, Poison Spyder front Stinger--future stuff, SYE/CV Driveshaft, Rear corner armor, Engine/Oil skid, Tummy Tuck
Don't forget to wave :wave:
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-tech-boot-camp-must-read-new-tj-owners-forum-members-722109"]TJ Tech BOOT CAMP[/URL]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/acronym-list-472282/"]Acronym List[/URL]
greensaharatj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2009, 02:06 PM   #26
motown2
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I USED DUPLICOLOR TRUCK BED COTAING....SCUFFED IT FIRST W/ LIGHT STEEL WOOL AND MASKED THE CRAP OUTTA IT.....HERES THE BEFORE AND AFTER (SCROLL)
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...8/#post8002092
Unread 10-11-2009, 08:22 AM   #27
karlo

Duplicolor bedliner is more durable than using paint, though it seems to fade quicker when exposed to elements.
karlo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2009, 10:06 AM   #28
hoytpotater
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I used the krylon fusion and it worked great. I used printer paper and masking tape behind the flares. It took all of 1 hour to complete.
hoytpotater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2009, 11:19 PM   #29
97wrang78
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Krylon -- all the way. I even used it to repaint my tan soundbar cover black. The cover is made from nylon which is plastic. It took quite a few coats to cover all the nooks and crannies, but 2 years later it still looks great.
It will feel slightly sticky for about a week afterwards.
Unread 06-24-2012, 01:48 PM   #30
adammendelsohn
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I'm gonna re-paint my fender flares with Krylon Fusion - It's a white & Chrome 1990 XJ so the fender flares are grey/silver. Does anyone know what color code that is? As in, what color Krylon should I use to get the original silver/grey stock color back on the fender flares/body trim/bumper caps?
adammendelsohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.