Faded flares, Penetrol, Fusion rehashed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Faded flares, Penetrol, Fusion rehashed

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-20-2004, 09:09 AM   #1
BillArf

Faded flares, Penetrol, Fusion rehashed

I know this topic has been dealt with many times but I have to add my 2 cents to the topic.

After doing faded fender flares on 3 TJ's in the last month I have a few tidbits to offer.

1) If you are going to use Penetrol and have a dark color jeep do tape off the area around the edge of your flares prior to using Penetrol as you will see the Penetrol on the paint after it dries and it is a ***** to remove.

2) Just wash the flares with soap and water and dry the surface area throughly.
Do not scuff them up, do NOT use turpentine or paint thinner on them.

3) IF you have any small individual gray spots or spots that particularly standout CAREFULLY use a heat gun on them to bring the black back up PRIOR to using the Penetrol.

4) After trying 3 different ways to apply I found the best way for me was to paint on a thick coat of Penetrol using a sponge brush. Wait 5 minutes (not much longer) and then wipe off with a old tee shirt that has no loose fibers/lint, dirt.
Do NOT use a shop rag, cotton towel, etc. or you will have fibers stuck all over.

5) Do one Flare and then move on to the next when you are using Penetrol. If you try to do all of them at the same time the Penetrol will dry to much before you can get it off of that last flare.

6) Let the finished flare dry for a few hours and then using that lint free wipe rag, place some Penetrol on the rag and wipe over each flare to get rid on any minor streaks. IF you want a real shiney flare you can repeat this damp cloth with Penetrol on it every few hours and do a few coats.

7) Do NOT apply Penetrol if you think it will possbily get rain or dew on it before it is 100% dry ! Do not drive the vehicle or have in a dusty area prior to it's drying.

In closing... I have emailed a few guys here that have use Penetrol in the last say year. ALL report that after months and months and even after Winter weather that their Penetroled flares look pretty much like the first day they Penetoled them and that is very nice. It did not wash off! I think the thing to keep in mind is you need to do it carefully when you do them as that result you get on day one and will live with for a long time is largely dependent on the initial application of Penetrol. As for Krylon Fusion, it is also another alternative BUT remember it is paint and subject to scratchs like any painted surface and alike where Penetrol coated flares are not. Both are good alternatives..

BillArf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2004, 09:43 AM   #2
C2U5H
2012 JK Wrangler 

thanks bill, i believe i have enough info and confidence to penetrol my fenders sometime in the near future.

which brings me to another question, not to steal your thread or anything:
i bought my TJ used about 2 months ago, and it seems that he/she forgot that they couldn't get car wax on the fenders. so now it's all streaked and everything. anyway to get rid of it without "penetroling" it? i've tried scrubbing it with soap and stuff...i didn't use any harsh products becuase i didn't want to make it worse. thanks!

~J
Will be missed:
1999 "Deep Amethyst" TJ +3" on 33's
C2U5H is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2004, 09:58 AM   #3
BillArf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinTJ99
thanks bill, i believe i have enough info and confidence to penetrol my fenders sometime in the near future.

which brings me to another question, not to steal your thread or anything:
i bought my TJ used about 2 months ago, and it seems that he/she forgot that they couldn't get car wax on the fenders. so now it's all streaked and everything. anyway to get rid of it without "penetroling" it? i've tried scrubbing it with soap and stuff...i didn't use any harsh products becuase i didn't want to make it worse. thanks!

~J

I know many use an old toothbrush and straight out of the bottle "DAWN" dishsoap with just a tad bit of water. Just scrub the mix on the offending spot with the tootbrush. Do this repeatedly until the wax spot comes off. Note, many guys that are big into detailing, wash their vehicle periodically with a strong concentration of DAWN and water to strip off layers of old wax. Apparently DAWN is highly regarded as a very potent remover of wax. Washing your vehicle with it rids the vehicle of yellowed/discolored old wax.
BillArf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2004, 01:41 PM   #4
johnnySV

peanut butter (creamy style) will also remove the white haze from wax. the oils actually restore the plastic a bit. simply apply the peanut buttere the affected plastic areas just like a wax.

watch out for the chunky..... it doesnt spread as well.
TopFive rack (ski / surf) | Corbeau seats
Hella FF1000 lamps | ...little stuff...
[URL=http://www.sounddomain.com/id/tanzjeep]false floor slick stereo install[/URL]
johnnySV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2004, 09:23 AM   #5
mpala96
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Penetrol Finished Product

Yesterday I used Penetrol to fix the fading flares on my 2001 Jeep. Here are some pics if anyone is still unsure if Penetrol works or not. My flares were almost white due to serious fading. I am very happy with the results. It also brought the color back out on the bumpers!

VIDEO 3 (Just for fun)
mpala96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2008, 03:27 PM   #6
sconnors
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Penetrol

Just got my 1998 Jeep Wrangler back from being painted, the Jeep looks great, but the fender flares were in bad shape with discoloration of green/black/white in places. After I found the post about Penetrol on this forum, I went out and bought some figuring what the hell it's only eight bucks! I put about four coats on and my fender flares that I thought I was going to have to replace look almost like brand new! This stuff is amazing and works!!!
sconnors is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2008, 04:45 PM   #7
FarmBoy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Did mine about 3 years ago, and they still look good. It does not see winter duty though. I also used Penetrol on my fading hardtop a couple years ago. Worked great.
I never saw this thread here, but used Penetrol on a boat I owned years ago. The colored stripes were fading and this fixed them up well.

-jeff
Unread 05-12-2009, 07:49 PM   #8
WBGV

this stuff does the job and you only need to apply around once a year. it stains it so no heat and no flaking paint.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...rrivals&page=1
WBGV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2010, 02:54 PM   #9
JimChilders
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Penetrol Is Awesome!! THANK YOU THANK YOU

I just used your information and did the flares on my TJ and it is absolutely awesome. I just came in from garage and waiting on that first coat to dry then gonna go out and buff with Penetrol coated cloth!! JUST WANTED TO SAY IM A BELIEVER!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!!
JimChilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2010, 07:20 PM   #10
chilito82
2003 TJ Wrangler 

yeah...i was a little skeptical at 1st...but here ya go...one on the left is about to get the treatment...one on the right is dried and done!
chilito82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 07:55 AM   #11
hornhunter
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Faded flares

I cleaned mine with Denatured Alcohol and the sprayed them with Dupilcolor Bed Liner that comes in a can. Used index cards to stuff behind the flares so no taping is required except for the turn signal lights on the front flares. Used a Larger piece of cardboard to prevent over spray on the Body of Jeep.

Put about 4 coats looks great.

Steve
hornhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 12:42 PM   #12
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhunter View Post
I cleaned mine with Denatured Alcohol and the sprayed them with Dupilcolor Bed Liner that comes in a can. Used index cards to stuff behind the flares so no taping is required except for the turn signal lights on the front flares. Used a Larger piece of cardboard to prevent over spray on the Body of Jeep.

Put about 4 coats looks great.

Steve

Got any pics
Project1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #13
SARGEII
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Just treated my flares, bumpers, side steps, and overhead speaker covers with penetrol. It's simply amazing. I followed the instructions listed by BillArf at the beginning of this thread, and he's right on the money. Thanks Bill. You've helped me bring my TJ to the next level. Happy Jeeping.
SARGEII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 08:18 PM   #14
Ranjo
1988 YJ Wrangler 

where do you get it

To avoid being a dummy in the store, I will be one on here. What is this penetrol (i.e. paint, or wax, or what?) and where do I get it?
Ranjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 06:05 PM   #15
t84a
2000 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Flood-Pen...3#.UaVGHsu9KSM

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.