Faded fender flares???? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Faded fender flares????

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 07-07-2009, 07:53 AM   #61
munky_3434
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I used a heat gun yesterday on mine, and they look great......any idea on how long they last like that?

i borrowed the heat gun and want to know if i should invest in one or if they'll last long enough to not worry about it

Unread 07-07-2009, 11:40 AM   #62
DoubleJay
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstaurus View Post

PS and yes I tried to remove those damn bumper caps but the torx all stripped I'll have to get em drilled out.
take one hammer, or size 10 boot, and remove endcaps and never regret taking them off.

Painting will work on them too, but it looks so much better without them.
DoubleJay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2009, 08:54 AM   #63
munky_3434
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by munky_3434 View Post
I used a heat gun yesterday on mine, and they look great......any idea on how long they last like that?

i borrowed the heat gun and want to know if i should invest in one or if they'll last long enough to not worry about it
well, within about a day of doing this ther were about 50% as dark as after i finished them the day before. gonna give it another shot tonight. might just have a friend paint em
Unread 07-14-2009, 11:30 PM   #64
nitwit527

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/rhino-lined-flares-blackcents-738852/

havent touched mine in about a year since i got em done =X oh wait there rhino lined =) best $ i ever spent

150w KC Daylighters Bumper||150w KC Daylighers Windshield|| RRC Rocker Guards||IPF Headlight Upgrades||Optima Yellow Top||

Kenwood DNX7120||Kenwood eXcelon XR-S17P rear||Kenwood eXcelon KFC-X1300 front||Diamond Audio D310D4 x2|| Kenwood eXcelon KAC-X4R(1200w)||Kenwood eXcelon KAC-X1R (2400w)||

---->My Audio Build <-----
nitwit527 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2009, 12:48 PM   #65
BassWrangler
2003 KJ Liberty 

I just did the krylon fusion mod and Im really happy with the way it turned out.
Before

After
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ YJ owner since 12/2/08~
BassWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2009, 10:02 AM   #66
munky_3434
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by munky_3434 View Post
well, within about a day of doing this ther were about 50% as dark as after i finished them the day before. gonna give it another shot tonight. might just have a friend paint em

yeah, looks like i'm gonna break down and paint them.....they look like poo. oh well i tried
Unread 07-20-2009, 11:36 PM   #67
Photog2000
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I went out this weekend and bought all the stuff to paint mine tonight when I got home from work. Since I was planning to paint them anyway, I decided to give the heat gun a try to see what it does. Well...I did the whole works in about 15 minutes and it looks great. Guess I will just save the fusion for anoyther project.

I couldn't believe how simplwe this was. Just warm them up with the heat gun until they look balck and a little shiny. Once they cool down they look just like new.
Photog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2009, 06:59 AM   #68
K9trnr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have a jeep that looks exactly the same, what kind of "Prep" work did you do before painting?

"Things will remain the same until they change"

1995 YJ Wrangler
1989 F350
K9trnr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2009, 09:51 AM   #69
hubs97xj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Mr Clean Magic Eraser pads- remove the oxidation, don't try to melt it or cover it with oil.
hubs97xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2009, 12:37 PM   #70
sstaurus
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubs97xj View Post
Mr Clean Magic Eraser pads- remove the oxidation, don't try to melt it or cover it with oil.
Really? I'd have to see it to believe it...
Unread 07-21-2009, 12:50 PM   #71
hawk3ye
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I took a heat gun to mine awhile back and about two months later they started to turn grayish; however, I followed up with that Meguiar's plastic trim stuff and it seems to work like a champ.

Bay Area JP Club
hawk3ye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2009, 02:10 PM   #72
hubs97xj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstaurus View Post
Really? I'd have to see it to believe it...
I don't have any decent pics of it before I started using them (see below for the only shot I have before I started working on it last year), but water, the pads, and elbow grease really do make them look a lot better. I was extremely skeptical when I first heard it, but I figured for $2, why not. Rhino liner, prep and paint, replacing them, etc are workable solutions, but not my idea of cheap. I'd been using Eagle1 and other trim "restorers", but they all left gray residue all over the paint (Stone White XJ here) the first time it rained.

I was not thrilled initially (picture any 97 XJ with now-gray flares), but I do this maybe two or three times a year and the molding looks a great deal better.

They're looking a little rough again, but I haven't touched it since this spring.

edit- hmmm, I can't see the pics. Setting for this forum?

Click-free-free
http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/i...Image001-1.jpg
http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/i...t=DSCF5165.jpg

edit- get the link right, retard. now click-free.

Last edited by hubs97xj; 08-06-2009 at 10:49 PM..
hubs97xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2010, 09:29 PM   #73
drift2death
1997 TJ Wrangler 

this is what i bought is it wat is recomended?
drift2death is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2010, 09:03 AM   #74
CJHVN
1985 CJ7 

Umm........nice picture. Was that necessary?

A simple "Krylon Fusion" would have sufficed.

92 XJ, 4.0L, AW4, Dropped NP231, 30/8.25, 4" DPG Hybrid lift, 33" MT/R's, JKS trackbar, JKS discos, OME Nitro Shocks, stinger bumper, Warn X8000i, etc. (work in progress)
CJHVN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2010, 01:03 AM   #75
odinseye84
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I heat gunned mine too, but many months later they look awful again. I just bought new ones and will install them next spring. I bought the car in texas... so you can imagine.
odinseye84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.