Faded fender flares???? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Faded fender flares????

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-14-2009, 06:55 PM   #46
crawler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have uploaded a few pics of my fender flares painted with Krylon Flat Black here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cj7project/

crawler97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2009, 04:14 PM   #47
robocoop4
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My buddy gave me an idea that I was thinking about trying. He said maybe putting the bed liner on my fender flares to give them some texture. Good idea? Bad idea? Anyone ever thought of that
robocoop4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2009, 07:53 PM   #48
clrobins6r
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I just used rustoleum for plastic textured black and it looks awesome. My rocker panels almost match my replacement flares (standard OEM black plastic). I cleaned them in soap and water and then used some liquid deglosser on them. I then sprayed two coats and they look great.
clrobins6r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2009, 12:38 AM   #49
robocoop4
2000 TJ Wrangler 

fender flares

Quote:
Originally Posted by clrobins6r View Post
I just used rustoleum for plastic textured black and it looks awesome. My rocker panels almost match my replacement flares (standard OEM black plastic). I cleaned them in soap and water and then used some liquid deglosser on them. I then sprayed two coats and they look great.
do you mind putting up a pic of them so i can see for myself
Unread 05-19-2009, 12:44 AM   #50
slaphands
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocoop4 View Post
My buddy gave me an idea that I was thinking about trying. He said maybe putting the bed liner on my fender flares to give them some texture. Good idea? Bad idea? Anyone ever thought of that
Member JBTJ got his done with line-x. Said it cost him $100. Here's the pictures:

Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club Member #313
Red Jeep Club Member #525
slaphands is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2009, 06:25 PM   #51
franksykes
2003 TJ Wrangler 

scrub it with a scotch brite pad and then paint em with krylon fusion. after a month on and off road they still look like new.
franksykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2009, 09:40 PM   #52
nyquiljunkie
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I was trying all kinda stuff (previous post) on some junks around here none really worked well.
I was forbidden to try any of my homemade voodoo on her 99tj.
LOL

I tried out the back to black stuff, and first 3 times I put it on it was still faded kinda sorta, but I kept repeating the application rubbing the heck out of the flares and what do ya know, after a few more coats and more rubbing, they turned perfectly black again, and stayed black ad shiny!

I'm impressed. they were almost grey, now they look new.

Dunno how long itll last but it looks good for now.
Unread 05-29-2009, 12:40 AM   #53
robocoop4
2000 TJ Wrangler 

wd-40

WD-40 also works its doesn't last overly long but if you just have some laying around its something to try. Also using it on your bumpers cleans them up real nice and it will make your jeep look years younger
Unread 05-29-2009, 12:25 PM   #54
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I used regular armor all. (with a HEALTHY coat and recoat). Its been well over a year and they still look great, not perfect like just after the armor all, but WAY WAY better than they did before. I'll hit them again when i wax the jeep next time and they will be good for another year.
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2009, 02:04 AM   #55
nyquiljunkie
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I tried a bottle of Kiwi scuff-coat (for shoes, black) on the badly faded bumpers of one our work beater cars.

If you slop it on and rub it in while its wet, then buff it good when it dries, it looks like brand new.

Its been out in pouring rain and a few weeks of blazing heat, and it doesnt rub off or fade, it still is semi satin shiny and jet black.

100% better than 'back to black'.
Unread 06-26-2009, 08:55 AM   #56
sstaurus
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Coming from the old VW world, Kiwi leather DYE (not polish) is pretty much the best, and used by alot of people. I tried it out here.

Old faded wonders:

After a couple coats:

And after 3 coats:

Held up under yesterdays rainstorms. It turned out ok, I maybe could've worked it in a bit better, but so far so good. I'll let anyone know how it goes long run if anyone cares!

PS and yes I tried to remove those damn bumper caps but the torx all stripped I'll have to get em drilled out.
sstaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2009, 11:55 AM   #57
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I heard that line-x charged $25 a flare so I bought some krylon fusion and did mine. They only had semigloss not flat so that is what I have but it's ok.
WTS: 4.2 parts. Fuel lines, pump, block, head, accessories, just ask
green89yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2009, 09:03 PM   #58
BUBICON

forever black .. after a couple applications .. good as new.. usually lasts a couple months or more but evry time it gets reapplied they look even better than the last application..
BUBICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2009, 08:59 PM   #59
WalrusPaul
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Back to Black actually seemed to work pretty good for me, not sure. It's only been 2 weeks, but it has lasted through some pretty hefty rain.

who knows?
WalrusPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2009, 12:38 AM   #60
DoubleJay
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Tj Zack View Post
Just wanted to let everyone know, hopefully this aint a repost. But if you take some cheap motor oil and rub it on your faded fender flares, they will turn black again. After they sit for an hour or so go back with a dry cloth and wipe them down again to get access oil off. Worked for me.
been doing this for years on the black fenders and steel bumpers.

I did paint mine with Krylon fusion. But when I want to make them shine, I use cheap (non-used) oil.

Don't do this on tires though as it leads to premature sidewall failure (according to whichever Spike TV truck show I got the idea from)
DoubleJay is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.