Faded fender flares???? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Faded fender flares????

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 01-10-2009, 04:02 PM   #31
rc_007
2003 TJ Wrangler 

forever black is the way to go. may take a couple of applications if the fender is very badly faded like mine was. I used two coats and still had extra left over.

3 months later.. look brand new!

rc_007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2009, 06:52 PM   #32
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have also used Forever Black. Lasts far more than a couple of days. Did all my black trim items over 6 months ago, still no fading. The running boards took two heavy coats, but they are not faded either. The trick is to clean the item to be "blacked" very thoroughly before blacking it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woobinator View Post
Forever Black must be made by people with extremely short life spans, cause it looks like battered hell in a couple of days. The Fusion paint works great though, and a little goes a long way. I was actually impressed with this product. Geez, never thought I would say that...

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2009, 09:14 PM   #33
silversleeper

I would never do such a thing! Don't be lazy... pull the trim off, spray em with a few coats of SEM trim paint, and have them black for the remainder of the Jeep's life.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2009, 10:31 PM   #34
dawg1968
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
I would never do such a thing! Don't be lazy... pull the trim off, spray em with a few coats of SEM trim paint, and have them black for the remainder of the Jeep's life.
where do you get this?
()_) ()_)--o--)_)
Georgia Jeep Club
Green Jeep Club
dawg1968 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2009, 01:39 AM   #35
hawk3ye
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I used a heat gun for my fender flares on a newly acquire '01 TJ - the model gun was a black and decker with temp settings of 500/1020 F

The flares were bleached white and I ran the heat gun about an inch away from the surface and it worked like a champ! the result doesn't seem to actually melt away that original texture on the fenders so don't worry a out it deforming or showing some weird melted plastic look.

Bay Area JP Club
hawk3ye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2009, 11:35 AM   #36
peeweeXJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Heat gun on high setting, works like magic. No need to remove the flares, mask them, or anything. Just make sure they are decently clean.

It returns them to their original color, and is FREE. Is a very quick fix, and will not chip flake or scratch.
Unread 05-06-2009, 09:10 PM   #37
CJHVN
1985 CJ7 

Mother's, Back to Black, etc is also very temporary. They add some shine and depth to the color for a while, but it goes away within a few weeks to a few months.

Heating works, but you have to be careful. You can ruin a flare very quickly. Replacing one can get very pricey and they will never match perfectly. And again, it's temporary. It lasts a bit longer than the Mother's and Back to Black etc, but hey will eventually fade again.

I have TJ rear flares on all four corners of my XJ. I masked them off with blue painters tape and newspaper and painted all 4 in less than an hour in my driveway with one can on Krylon. They look brand new and have stayed looking brand new for years.

Save your time and money and get a can of Krylon and be done with it so you can spend your time on other more important things.

92 XJ, 4.0L, AW4, Dropped NP231, 30/8.25, 4" DPG Hybrid lift, 33" MT/R's, JKS trackbar, JKS discos, OME Nitro Shocks, stinger bumper, Warn X8000i, etc. (work in progress)
CJHVN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2009, 09:18 PM   #38
nyquiljunkie
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Been lurking here, we have 2 jeeps, your site is a wellspring of good info, thanks.

I'll toss my 2 cents in here.

Normally on my junker daily drivers (not jeeps) they have lots of faded black trim/bumpers ect.

I've tried everything, most of them are short term useless.

With the last batch of test patches rubbed on the one cars black bumper, (baby oil, crisco, synthetic motor oil and antifreeze) I'm seeing the SYNTHETIC motor oil is staying dark and shiny after a week. The crisco got sticky.... bad idea. Oddly, the antifreeze is also staying black and shiny too. Baby oil did not darken the black enough to begin with.
Yeah... I'm cheap and curious.

I used regular new motor oil last yr on aall the trim on an whole other car, and it seemed to not only fade but remain kinda oily.
the synthetic oil I'm testing this week not only buffed off dry but is holding the shine very well.

I'm not crazy about the idea of the antifreeze even if it does work, the cats licked off the crisco and if they do that to the antifreeze, I'll have more problems than just faded bumpers.

So far this season, full synthetic motor oil is the winner for a total wet down-wipe off & buff job.

I'm going to do a trial run on a festiva's rear bumper (black vynal/rubber something) tomorrow with a heavy smear on, leave soak a while and buff off, and if it lasts more than a few weeks......

The jeeps get their faded black stuff oiled.
I'll keep you informed on the progress.

It seems like the plastic vynal whatever it is these flares and bumpers are made of absorbs the synthetic motor oil and darkens it faster than regular motor oil, which I kinda had to rub in harder and, once its wiped off, it seems to be dry to the touch and not oily/greasy like reg motor oil.

I might be onto something.
nyquiljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2009, 09:34 PM   #39
crawler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

fender flares

I just installed clear corner lights and light cages so I want my flares black again to make everything look better. On my old CJ, I painted the flares with .99 cent walmart flat black paint and it looked great. I have stepped up a notch and started using Krylon ($2.99 per can at Home Depot). I just painted my Door Entry Guards and they look new. I was worried that I couldn't get the paint even but the flat black seems to blend together well. I plan on doing my flares tomorrow. I will take some before and after pics to posts that may help some people decide which route to take.
crawler97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2009, 10:35 AM   #40
mscottz
2011 JK Wrangler 

For those that are painting the flares, which Krylon Fusion are you using? Satin or flat?
Colorado Jeep Club member #1969
mscottz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2009, 12:16 PM   #41
mwmoon
2007 JK Wrangler 

I used satin and was really happy with the result.
mwmoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2009, 03:04 PM   #42
mightydog78
2013 JK Wrangler 

i used kyrlon fusion satin and it already chipping after a month

i though about sanding all the old paint off and starting new...anybody want to post some pics up of their newly painted flares? (dupicolo, kyrlon, rustoleum..etc.)
thanks

Charlotte, NC / Southport, NC

Mechanical Engineer
mightydog78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2009, 07:34 PM   #43
clrobins6r
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I just got some rustoleum advanced satin that says it is made for plastics. I'm trying it on the inside of the rocker gaurd (2000 TJ Sahara) first before I apply it on the outside. Based on first coat, I'm thinking of changing to flat black. I was wondering if anyone else has/had tried the rustoleum advanced for their flares?
clrobins6r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2009, 03:12 PM   #44
crawler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I used flat. Works great and the look new
crawler97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2009, 06:17 PM   #45
clrobins6r
2000 TJ Wrangler 

How long ago did you use the rustoleum flat? Is it holding up well?
clrobins6r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.