Faded fender flares???? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Faded fender flares????

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-10-2006, 02:28 AM   #16
Regulator
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I used fusion paint on mine and they look great, but do yourself a favor and don't remove the flares to paint them. They are a pain in the ***** to take off and put back on. Just tape off the paint with newspaper.

Unread 10-20-2006, 04:19 PM   #17
bsruther

Penetrol
I heard about this stuff here on JF and I'm sold on it.
Excellent stuff.
My flares weren't faded, but a few other vinyl areas were. I applied it over a month ago and those areas still look like new.
bsruther is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2006, 09:01 AM   #18
Flyinbrick

I've used forever black, it's been on there for more than a year now with very little signs of fade. a definite ++
Wagoneer Dana 44 Front End w/ ARB, Currie Rockjock 60 Rear w/ Detroit, 37" Baja Claws, Poison Spyder Tire Carrier, Competition Corners, Flat Fenders, Front Stinger, Full roll cage, GenRight Fuel Cell, Snyper Fab Rocker Skids
Flyinbrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2006, 10:01 PM   #19
woobinator

Forever Black must be made by people with extremely short life spans, cause it looks like battered hell in a couple of days. The Fusion paint works great though, and a little goes a long way. I was actually impressed with this product. Geez, never thought I would say that...
woobinator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2006, 10:33 AM   #20
JaySpencer66
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I've used Fusion on other plastic parts on the Jeep and metal parts too for that matter (read the can, it says you can use it on metal! )

Motor oil I think would be bad because I would think it will eventually disolve the plastic/rubber of the flares? Heating? Well there I think you are either burning off a laywer of the flare or releasing more of the volatiles or plasticisers from beneath the surface. I am not sure if that is good or bad though.

This weekend I am going to take my flares off or leave them on, mask and strip, clean, and repaint them.

I have a can of custom mixed paint mixed to the 1991, Jeep Sahara J5 Metalic Khaki paint code. I also have a can of adhesion promoter, grey primer and clear coat too.
[color=#996600]/l[/color][color=#000000] , [/color][color=#996600] [[/color][color=#000000]____[/color][color=#996600]][/color],
[color=#996600]l---L--[color=#CCCCCC][][/color][color=#996600]lllllll[/color][color=#CCCCCC][][/color]-[/color]
[color=#000000][b]()_) ()_)[/b]----[b])_)[/b]
[/color][Url=http://www.deepblueforum.com]Deep Blue Forum[/url]
Member #1 of the "I Hate Torx Club!"
~anyone with a Jeep is an automatic member, and anyone can be member #1~
JaySpencer66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2006, 12:21 PM   #21
trailblaze
2004 WJ 

i just torched mine....made them nice and black...and you don't burn away anything...just heat it really quick

and yeah...we should all just take em off
Unread 12-19-2006, 07:39 PM   #22
SouthernMoose

peanut butter also works

spread it on "massage" it in and wipe it off

[FONT="System"][URL="http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d39/iwanta69rs/?action=view&current=PB080072.jpg"][COLOR="DarkGreen"]1998 Pontiac Trans AM 6 speed[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT]
-1 of 336 blue green chameleon cars every produced
-408 rwhp 423 rwtq....bolt-ons and a nice cam
SouthernMoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2008, 09:11 AM   #23
phistry810
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblaze View Post
i just torched mine....made them nice and black...and you don't burn away anything...just heat it really quick

and yeah...we should all just take em off

Would a hair dryer work or does it take more heat than that? Also, do you just heat the outside of the flares and leave the inside alone?
15x10 matte black 8's
phistry810 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2008, 03:15 PM   #24
phistry810
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phistry810 View Post
Would a hair dryer work or does it take more heat than that? Also, do you just heat the outside of the flares and leave the inside alone?
Does it also work on the bumper end caps???
15x10 matte black 8's
Unread 08-12-2008, 07:55 PM   #25
scooter072
2001 TJ Wrangler 

One can of Krylon Fusion did all four flares, the flare extensions, rear seatbelt boxes, rear license plate holder, and the headlight bezels. I just finished last night and it looks great. Also used duplicolor on the roll bar padding. It looks brand new.

Installed: | Viking Fastback Top | Neoprene Seat Covers | Black Rollbar Handles| Repainted Fender Flares and Rollbar Padding | 2" Superlift BB | Superlift Steering Stabilizer | 1.25" JKS BL | 1" MML | Advance Adapters Transfer Case Bracket | 15x8 Rock Crawler Series 97 Wheels | 33" Kumho Road Venture MT's | Uniden Pro 510XL CB | 4' Firestik Firefly Antenna |

Wish List: | Regear/Super 35 Kit | New Bumpers | Rock Sliders |

www.militaryjeepers.com

www.TBAJA.net
scooter072 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2008, 09:21 PM   #26
stunner
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I don't have the black flares. I have the painted ones... But, do what I do with my bumpers and the milk jugs(which are the same as the flares).... Go buy a rattle can of Duplicolor Bumper Coating. It's the exact same color as the bumpers and flares. In fact, I painted half my bumper (just to test it) and after it dried, I couldn't tell where the painting started. It's an exact match and texture!
The paint lasts only till the next time I go mudding (on the milk cartons because they're porous plastic) because down here you get that white mud that acts like paint. And, there's no scrubbing in the world that will get it off once it's dry. So, I clean them and paint them while they're still on. Wala! My bumpers look brand new.
I'm sure that the flares would last for months with a couple of coats of the Bumper Coating...

Oh, and you can buy it at any autoparts store anywhere....
can_bumber.jpg  
OME HD ZJ/LJ Combo Lift, OME Long-Travel Nitrocharger shocks, AA SYE + CV DS, Nth Degree Mobility TT, JKS Adj. Rear UCAs, JKS Adj. Front & Rear LCAs, JKS Adj. Front & Rear Trackbars, JKS 'Quicker' Discos, 33x10.5 KM2s on Stock Ravines, Warn Front and Rear Bumpers, Bestop Tinted Window Kit.[/COLOR]

[SIZE="4"][B][COLOR="navy"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5322408#post5322408"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Navy"]See My Build-Up Here[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
[COLOR="Navy"]My other posts:[/COLOR]
[COLOR="navy"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=569601"][COLOR="Navy"]Foglight Switch Operation & Pin-Out[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=579055"][COLOR="Navy"]OME HD Coils - Let's End the Confusion!![/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=571323"][COLOR="Navy"]JK 'style' bumpers for TJ? Do they even exist?[/COLOR][/URL]
[COLOR="Navy"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=588694"][COLOR="Red"]Caster? Pulling to right after lift...[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Navy"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5664193&posted=1#post5664193"][COLOR="Navy"]LED Third Brake Light made out of a Tic-Tacs Box[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR]

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Navy"][B]Blue Jeep Club Member #279[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
stunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2008, 07:35 AM   #27
phistry810
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Does the flame from the torch actually touch the flares or should you stand back a few feet and let it just warm up? Anyone have some before and after pics?
15x10 matte black 8's
Unread 08-18-2008, 08:38 PM   #28
leiterch
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Just a tip. If you "flame" them, be careful. If you get them too hot, you won't be able to paint them. The paint needs the rubber on the surface for the paint to stick. If you torch the crap out of them, you will burn off the rubber and bring the talc to the surface. Paint doesn't stick to talc. As far as painting the flares. The Mold In Color flares have UV stabilizers in the material and paint traditionally doesn't stick real well to the UV additives, might not last very long or be very robust. Will look great for Mall Crawling, but will prolly come right off in sheets with a nice tree rub.

Just some friendly advice. There is some spray out there(can't remember the name right now) that will shine those flares right up. We use it sometimes to blend in flow lines or mfg defects.

Chad
94 YJ 4.0L Auto 33x12.5

www.cadillacjeepers.com
leiterch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2008, 08:55 PM   #29
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Talk about reviving an old thread.

Mother's "Back To Black" works for me. You just have to do it a couple of times. If you still want to paint them though, you should use a vinyl spray paint. It will flex with the rubber. Krylon fusion is made for ridgid plastic, like lawn chairs.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2008, 08:17 PM   #30
phistry810
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I bought some Mother's Back to Black today and applied it and it came out nice. Mine are not too faded but it did make a difference. I am just not a good spray painter at all and I would mess them up bad if I tried!
15x10 matte black 8's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.