faded Fender Flares - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > faded Fender Flares

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 03-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
kabo12
2002 TJ Wrangler 

faded Fender Flares

How do you darken faded fender flares? I thought I read a thread about someone rubbing them down with black RIT dye but can't find the post.

Unread 03-07-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
jibbsnow420
2000 XJ Cherokee 

turtle wax makes a trim restore, if u use it in hot sun it works great and lasts. if you put it on everytime u wash your car itll eventually bring it back
jibbsnow420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
AKGeo
Web Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Krylon fusion spray paint. Self-etching and priming on plastic...it doesn't flake off when you flex the flares. clean the flares, let dry, then spray.
AKGeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
Mboelts
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Enjoy the spinning nut serts and the little plastic nuts when removing to paint...I tell you there is a special room in hell for the engineer that came up with that idea!!

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

KCCO!
Mboelts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2012, 02:02 PM   #5
jeeps4ever

I paint mine black and it looks great. I think it looks bad when it's faded. You just have to make sure it's made for plastic.
jeeps4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2012, 10:37 PM   #6
Dickpalmer

You can use Turtle Wax spray for vinyl, plastic, rubber. Just spray it on and leave it. Your fenders will be black again after a couple of days. Green bottle bought at most auto parts stores. It also has UV protectant to keep them from fading again. That's probably the easiest method.
Dickpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2012, 11:07 PM   #7
Vixen
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Back to black i think made by mothers I also heard something about some kind of oil or fluid a while back but that kinda scares me to try. Oh and know what ya mean about the nutcerts BAS"TURD"
Unread 03-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #8
wolfrivercc
2000 TJ Wrangler 

ive heard if you use a heat gun on them it will bring them back but research first
wolfrivercc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2012, 06:59 AM   #9
athos76
2006 TJ Wrangler 

A heat gun or blue flame wrench (butane torch) can bring back the color. If you have the fan attachment for both, it works better.

Just keep them moving. If you hold it on one spot it will bubble and possibly char
Unread 03-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #10
Dextreme
1999 TJ Wrangler 

There are some videos on youtube about using heat to restore the black, but the easiest way is it leave the fenders on the Jeep, stick index cards (or thin cardboard) between the fender and the body. Tape off to prevent overspray...then paint with Krylon Fusion Satin Black. They will look like new and the paint adhears great.

Dextreme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #11
kabo12
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the suggestions.
Unread 03-14-2012, 11:34 AM   #12
jstone326

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I tried the heat gun trick, and I did one flare and it looked like sh*t! I found it impossible to make it completely even, so now its splotchy with different shades of black... so unless you're a proffessional heat gun operator, I would recommend against it. just my $.02
jstone326 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2012, 11:21 AM   #13
kabo12
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks. I definitely not so I'll try something else.
Unread 03-15-2012, 05:55 PM   #14
castorriver
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Using any vinyl conditioning spray will bring back the dark black, like STP tire cleaner/conditioner.
Registered Nurse Jeep Club Member #1 (I think...)

Verse 36: And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.
castorriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2012, 06:10 PM   #15
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

wipe them down with atf(trans fluid). look like new for about a week. a cheap easy fix.
glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.