Engines - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Engines

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 12-01-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
gunsmoke54

Engines

I just bought a 2001 Jeep cherokee 4.0 with a bad engine. I found a engine out of a 1998 with super low miles, i was hoping somebody would be able to tell me if it would fit in my 2001 cherokee. Thanks for any help.

gunsmoke54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
Jeepinfreak

All 4.0l are basically the same. However, I haven't worked with the 99 and newer 1s yet to know for sure. I know there will be alot of differences with the sensors and such. The block and head are different casting numbers, but that doesn't always disqualify it. I've heard that alot of guys like using the older heads on the newer motors for increased airflow.
Jeepinfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
jrallen
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke54 View Post
I just bought a 2001 Jeep cherokee 4.0 with a bad engine. I found a engine out of a 1998 with super low miles, i was hoping somebody would be able to tell me if it would fit in my 2001 cherokee. Thanks for any help.
I've put a 4.0 out of a '00 GC into a '97 TJ if that tells you anything
jrallen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke54 View Post
Yes, but it won't be a drop in. The 2001 has coil on plug ignition and a 2 piece exhaust manifold. You would have to fab something up for the coil mounts and get a different exhaust manifold, there would also likely some wiring and sensor differences but you can swap in the "old" wiring and/or sensors from your 01 engine. You could also use the 98 block with a head from a 02+ TJ (Wrangler) or WJ (Grand Cherokee) with a 4.0L I6. Do not use a 2000-2001 4.0L head these would be a perfect match (02+ heads are also a match) but these heads (0331) have a casting flay that can cause them to crack if overheated which is likely what killed the engine in the first place. This flaw was corrected in 2002. You could also get one of the aftermarket heads from a manufacture such as Clear Water heads, these are superior to the stock head but cost more than junk yard head.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2012, 08:39 AM   #5
gunsmoke54

Thanks for the replies guys.
gunsmoke54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.