DYI Reduce Road Noise & Improve Insulation With This Cheap & Effective MOD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > DYI Reduce Road Noise & Improve Insulation With This Cheap & Effective MOD

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-24-2013, 05:48 PM   #1
Jeepocalypse
2004 TJ Wrangler 

DYI Reduce Road Noise & Improve Insulation With This Cheap & Effective MOD

Looking to reduce road noise and keep your cabin warmer. Here’s a cheap alternative to those expensive hardtop headliner insulation kits.

Cost me around $50 and my time.
  • $10 PolyShild half-inch foam board – Home Depot
  • $10 Fleece Blanket WalMart (on sale)
  • $10 3M 77 Spray Mount Adhesive WalMart
  • $5 Spray Mount / Rubber Cement Remover
  • $10 3M Heavy Duty Double Sided Tap

TIPS: I split the top panel in two, using the natural ridge as a divider.

If you have satellite radio, be sure to remove the Mylar where your antenna is. Mine is centered on top of my roll bar.

I installed the liner while my top was still hanging. May have been easier working on the the ground - but I didn't want to bring it down and them back up to install the top.

AFTER THOUGHTS: Because I have a roll bar speaker kit, the half-inch PolyShild foam board just makes the gap between the roof and the roll bar. So the hard top now rests on the sound bar. While the front clamps hold down the top as it did before the mod, the rear portion of the top floats a bit. When I tightened it down I noticed that my rear door just makes contact along the window rubber keeping the window closed. I haven’t had any air or water leaks; maybe quarter inch foam would have been a better choice – if available.

I think the pics show my progress.

Overall it really it looks great like a factory install.

It helped with the noise - radio sounds better - I can have a conversation with riders in the back. Also feels warmer.

Good luck ... Keep Jeeping On!

8.jpg  
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

9.jpg

done2.jpg

Jeepocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #2
Jeepocalypse
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I somehow I posted this twice .. sorry about that!
Unread 12-02-2013, 08:32 AM   #3
ReconMill
Flat-4 Turbo

Taken care of. Dont worry about it. Nice work on the insulation!
ReconMill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2014, 01:22 PM   #4
waif69
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Nice job! Cheap, effective and looks good.

If I didn't keep my top outside during the 3 seasons, I would copy you. The bugs and small critters would love the fabric and foam and I would have to remake it every year.
waif69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2014, 05:15 PM   #5
Jeepocalypse
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks ... why not get an outdoor storage bag / cover? There are a couple floating around: http://www.acmejeepparts.com/products/11091_201_07.htm / http://www.quadratec.com/category/Je...p+Storage/230/
Unread 08-14-2014, 10:13 PM   #6
1972cutlass
2007 JK Wrangler 

looks good. i appreciate the write up. i have been thinking about doing some homemade type of insulation to my hardtop as well.
1972cutlass is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.