Dummy Guide-Putting Hole Vents in Hood - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Dummy Guide-Putting Hole Vents in Hood

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 03-27-2011, 09:42 AM   #46
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK00TJ View Post
Looks good Jade. I may consider doing this myself since I need to repaint my hood anyway. Of course with my luck, I'd end up making it so that it whistles when I reach 60 mph.
If you make sure it whistles in tune, it might save you on that "Dixie Air Blast Horn" mod you've been wanting!

Jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2011, 12:17 PM   #47
BigDogTJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the write up! I'm looking at doing this before our summer heat hits. Now seeing what all is involved with this vs. one of the hood louver panels I'll probably do this to save money. Or both, so I can be super cool!
Unread 04-27-2011, 09:04 PM   #48
badfish93yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I just did this this weekend. Looks pretty legit, and my gauge shows that i am running slightly cooler. i used black bed liner on my whole heep and it really held its heat. Saved me about $175 it would have taken to get a hood with louvers.
Unread 04-28-2011, 01:33 AM   #49
Jadetastic
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish93yj
I just did this this weekend. Looks pretty legit, and my gauge shows that i am running slightly cooler. i used black bed liner on my whole heep and it really held its heat. Saved me about $175 it would have taken to get a hood with louvers.
Sweet! You'll should post some pics. Glad u saved money.
Unread 05-16-2011, 09:41 AM   #50
Night Wolf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadetastic View Post
Wow- I totally missed this comment! Lol as u would know- I got off work grabbed a 2day old T-shirt & adidas sweats off the floor and threw it on- my bad would u prefer a baggy shirt? Lol I'll note that next time. I guess I should off grab something out of our over-issued military junk pile in the garage, But my bad

besides 34dd is hard to prevent cleavage- hey it was my present to myself after a Kuwait deployment, aiding Kuwaitis how to build things to US standards. Can u blame me? Seeing that they don't like female bosses

On another topic- I do try my hardest to fit in with boys- it's just harder to do but add on a couple belches/farts + jokes then I'm almost there
Saw this thread while searching for hood louvers. This is a really neat, low cost alternative. I wonder how it compares to the vents atop/center of the hood in terms of reducing heat. Inquiring minds are inquiring - any 'before mod' pics - not just of the Jeep?

-1987 BMW 528e 5spd e28 - personal Panzer for the daily driven battlefield, just broken in at 300k

-1990 BMW 325i Convertible 5spd e30 - extensive overhaul in progress

-2005 TJ Sport - stuff
Night Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2011, 09:43 PM   #51
jdgrip
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadetastic View Post
Hey everyone!

I'm sure there's a Thread on this already but I will do one for like myself the lazy and impatient peeps anyway.

1st of all, I want to give credit to stogie25 & 2005X for helping me out with this mod, by giving me quick tips and additional info. (Thanks guys! Couldnt of done it w/o you)

Seeing that my Jeep is getting ready to be Solarmax/Rhinocoated here in a couple weeks, I wanted to do my quick conversions/mods before they cover my entire jeep with the solarmax. (That way everthing is already sealed)

Items Needed:
(should already have in the garage/if not BORROW) I had these already in my garage

*Safety Googles/Gloves
*Drill
*Kobalt 13-Piece Bi-Metal Hole Saw Set ($69.00 @ Lowes)
*Dremel
*Dremel 7-Piece Drill Bit Set ($10.00 @ Lowes)
*Drafting Circle Guide Template 46 From 1/16 - 2 3/4 ($8.00 @ Staples)
(Had already from past drafting class)
*Measuring Tape (the kind you measure your body)
*Sand Paper or Black&Decker Metal Wire attachment
*Aluminum Gutter Guard ($10.00 @ Lowes)
*Spray Paint (if needed)
This project should only cost less than $20.00

__________________________________________________ _________

Measure 2" above curve of hood, this will be your centerline. Draw the centerline down along the hood. Double check to make sure the 2" is consistent down the line.

Measure 2" over from the Edge of hood and mark, this will be your 1st circles edge.

Using your circle template, use the hole saw size 2 1/2 to make sure your using the correct template.

Draw the Circle within your template, using that 1st circle edge mark & the centerline as your guide.

After that circle is drawn, use a 1" gap between EACH circle

Repeat the above steps for the rest of the Hole saw sizes:
2 1/4", 2", 1 3/4", 1 1/2" for both sides of Jeep, when done-double check on all your measurements.

Some would opt to sand down then mark, I wanted to use pencil on the rust instead of bare metal & sharpie. Pencil shows up better on the rust and if you had any mistakes, its easier to rub off than wipe off sharpie. After all measurements are corrected and completed. Your going to tap your centermark for your bit.

Use your dremel to start the center hole

Use 1/4 drill bit to make it bigger, seeing I was too lazy to take my hood off and drill, I attached a guide on the drill bit, to avoid going too far.

safety first! Those metal bits & pieces are a PITA so Use googles & gloves!
Drill away.

Next Use your Hole Saw Bits to drill, using your center hole guide. To me- I used a hole saw instead of using the Greenlee Knockout punches. 1) They are really expensive, 2) How many times are you going to use them where you can get to the other side of the metal to punch the hole. So I went with the Hole Saw Method. JUST BE CAREFUL DRILLING, BE AWARE OF WHAT IS UNDER THE HOOD

After Drilling the holes, sand them down and buff out the circles you jacked up or if you did. (I know I did)

Spray Paint if needed, Since my jeep will be rhinocoated all on the outside- I just spray painted it black for protection against new rust and moisture.

Next the aluminum gutter guards, you will just need one- Measure just to be sure
I will be spray painting mine black since my Jeep will be Fire-Engine Red, But I will wait till after she is rhinocoated then finish the final touches on the aluminum guards.

Use the dremel to cut in half.

After the aluminum guards are cut, you will be able to slide them in under the hood. Use Silicon/duct tape/clamps or whatever you want to keep them mounted.

And There you have it- fancy schmancy Hood Vents

Those look great, the vent holes look pretty good too! nice right up
Unread 06-05-2011, 10:01 PM   #52
ajf1994
2004 TJ Wrangler 

They look great!
[URL="http://stu-offroad.com/support.htm"][COLOR="Blue"]I Supported Stu![/COLOR][/URL][/B]
High School Jeepers #361
Parrothead Jeep Club #46
37,xxx Miles[/SIZE]
[QUOTE=XJ-Tim;12621151][SIZE="1"]my welds look like popcorn with sprinkles.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Benjamin Franklin][SIZE="1"]Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
ajf1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2011, 10:59 PM   #53
Darkmoon

1999 TJ Wrangler 

What a great how to on doing this...too bad I had already did mine before I saw yours. I love the use of different size holes that you did. I just used 3 3 inch holes towards the rear of the hood. I also used stainless steel fasteners to hold the screen in. Once again great job and a shout out to a fellow Oklahoman Jeeper.

HOME MADE VENT - DRIVER SIDE by Darkmoon Photography, on Flickr

HOME MADE VENT - DRIVERS SIDE by Darkmoon Photography, on Flickr

HOW DIABLO IS NOW FOR SUMMER by Darkmoon Photography, on Flickr

1999 TJ "Diablo Rojo"

RC 4" Suspension Lift, JKS 1.25" Body Lift, G2 Rear Dana 44 with4.88 gears and Auburn ECTED Max Locker and Disc Brake Conversion, Front Auburn ECTED MAX Locker, MORE 1" Motor Mount Lift, Off Road Only U-Turn Crossover Steering, Pro Comp Front Track Bar, Terraflex Adjustable Rear Upper Control Arms, Blumenthals Custom Rear Driveshaft, JKS Extended Brake Lines, JKS Bar Pin Eliminator - Front & Rear, JKS Shock Conversion, MORE Steering Brace, TeraFlex Sway Bar System, ARB Snorkel, Purple Cranium Differential Spyder Skid, 35x12.50x15 BF Goodrich Mud Terrain KM2's on 15 X 8 Black Pro Comp Street Beads Wheels, Rancho Shocks and Steering Stabilizer, Smittybilt Front & Rear Bumpers, Smittybilt XRC 8 Comp Winch, Skid Row Offroad Radiator Guard, Skid Row Lower Control Arm Skids, Warn Steering Box Skid, Poison Spyder Custom Crusher Corners, Front Fenders & Ricochet Rockers,12 Volt Guy Incab Winch Control, and much more...
Darkmoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2011, 05:33 PM   #54
Boogalooper
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I think they all look great, only problem for me is they look way too similar to the Buick portholes that come on some cars, or if you live around my area, come on everything.

Even though, I think I've found something else that I want to do to my jeep, I really have to stop reading this site I'm finding way too many things to do to the jeep.

1990 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer
Boogalooper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2011, 11:20 AM   #55
4bangerYJ

Nice write up. It's great to see the wives get involved!

Here is mine from a few years ago.

4bangerYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2011, 11:53 PM   #56
EvolvingWorld
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just put these bad boys in this weekend, cheaper then anything else the actually sell for jeep hood 22.00 in parts..and the are aluminum so they will never rust..
forumrunner_20110718_005106.jpg   forumrunner_20110718_005122.jpg  
EvolvingWorld is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2011, 06:02 PM   #57
Diverdown87
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolvingWorld View Post
Just put these bad boys in this weekend, cheaper then anything else the actually sell for jeep hood 22.00 in parts..and the are aluminum so they will never rust..
So what exactly are they and where did you get them? Look really cool by the way. I was looking at vents from West Marine that are for ventilation, http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=10667, and was going to locate them along the upper part kind of like where your one closest to the windshield.
Diverdown87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2011, 06:10 PM   #58
EvolvingWorld
1995 YJ Wrangler 

They are soffit vents almost any hardware store carries them in many diff sizes, I'm also going to add marine vents to the middle with the openings pointed toward the windshield, but I figured is start with these first, they are aluminum and come with a screen under them so debris cannot get in the bay...
Unread 07-18-2011, 06:11 PM   #59
EvolvingWorld
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you by the way.
Unread 08-13-2011, 10:45 PM   #60
smartt
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Im having the hardest time finding aluminum soffit vents? can you give me some kind of link please
smartt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.