Dummy Guide-Putting Hole Vents in Hood - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Dummy Guide-Putting Hole Vents in Hood

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 03-15-2011, 09:50 PM   #1
Jadetastic
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Dummy Guide-Putting Hole Vents in Hood

Hey everyone!

I'm sure there's a Thread on this already but I will do one for like myself the lazy and impatient peeps anyway.

1st of all, I want to give credit to stogie25 & 2005X for helping me out with this mod, by giving me quick tips and additional info. (Thanks guys! Couldnt of done it w/o you)

Seeing that my Jeep is getting ready to be Solarmax/Rhinocoated here in a couple weeks, I wanted to do my quick conversions/mods before they cover my entire jeep with the solarmax. (That way everthing is already sealed)

Items Needed:
(should already have in the garage/if not BORROW) I had these already in my garage

*Safety Googles/Gloves
*Drill
*Kobalt 13-Piece Bi-Metal Hole Saw Set ($69.00 @ Lowes)
*Dremel
*Dremel 7-Piece Drill Bit Set ($10.00 @ Lowes)
*Drafting Circle Guide Template 46 From 1/16 - 2 3/4 ($8.00 @ Staples)
(Had already from past drafting class)
*Measuring Tape (the kind you measure your body)
*Sand Paper or Black&Decker Metal Wire attachment
*Aluminum Gutter Guard ($10.00 @ Lowes)
*Spray Paint (if needed)
This project should only cost less than $20.00

__________________________________________________ _________

Measure 2" above curve of hood, this will be your centerline. Draw the centerline down along the hood. Double check to make sure the 2" is consistent down the line.

Measure 2" over from the Edge of hood and mark, this will be your 1st circles edge.

Using your circle template, use the hole saw size 2 1/2 to make sure your using the correct template.

Draw the Circle within your template, using that 1st circle edge mark & the centerline as your guide.

After that circle is drawn, use a 1" gap between EACH circle

Repeat the above steps for the rest of the Hole saw sizes:
2 1/4", 2", 1 3/4", 1 1/2" for both sides of Jeep, when done-double check on all your measurements.

Some would opt to sand down then mark, I wanted to use pencil on the rust instead of bare metal & sharpie. Pencil shows up better on the rust and if you had any mistakes, its easier to rub off than wipe off sharpie. After all measurements are corrected and completed. Your going to tap your centermark for your bit.

Use your dremel to start the center hole

Use 1/4 drill bit to make it bigger, seeing I was too lazy to take my hood off and drill, I attached a guide on the drill bit, to avoid going too far.

safety first! Those metal bits & pieces are a PITA so Use googles & gloves!
Drill away.

Next Use your Hole Saw Bits to drill, using your center hole guide. To me- I used a hole saw instead of using the Greenlee Knockout punches. 1) They are really expensive, 2) How many times are you going to use them where you can get to the other side of the metal to punch the hole. So I went with the Hole Saw Method. JUST BE CAREFUL DRILLING, BE AWARE OF WHAT IS UNDER THE HOOD

After Drilling the holes, sand them down and buff out the circles you jacked up or if you did. (I know I did)

Spray Paint if needed, Since my jeep will be rhinocoated all on the outside- I just spray painted it black for protection against new rust and moisture.

Next the aluminum gutter guards, you will just need one- Measure just to be sure
I will be spray painting mine black since my Jeep will be Fire-Engine Red, But I will wait till after she is rhinocoated then finish the final touches on the aluminum guards.

Use the dremel to cut in half.

After the aluminum guards are cut, you will be able to slide them in under the hood. Use Silicon/duct tape/clamps or whatever you want to keep them mounted.

And There you have it- fancy schmancy Hood Vents

Unread 03-15-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
Skytard
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Damn, that turned out great.
Unread 03-15-2011, 10:56 PM   #3
T-Jay
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadetastic View Post
Ok you need to have a talk with my wife dammit Every time I mention ANYTHING Jeep related she roles her eyes at me and tunes out. And here you are posting how-to tech threads. Life just ain't fair lol! Nice job by the way...regardless of your gender and obvious good looks. Nice job.
T-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 01:18 AM   #4
Jadetastic
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Jay

Ok you need to have a talk with my wife dammit Every time I mention ANYTHING Jeep related she roles her eyes at me and tunes out. And here you are posting how-to tech threads. Life just ain't fair lol! Nice job by the way...regardless of your gender and obvious good looks. Nice job.
Let's start of with, does she have her own jeep? If no I would see if she wants one lol

The other half & I have separate projects.
Bikes/jeeps/cars/guns our problem is just trying to get one another to shut-up about their own project so the other can talk about theirs.

The best way we have learned is to both the same project but our own toys- (we don't share very well + very competitive against one another)

I wish you luck! thanks
Unread 03-16-2011, 05:30 AM   #5
stogie25
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Good work. Nice write up. It came out great.

97 Black TJ (one owner), BFG KM2 35s, 4.7L Stroker, ARB's, Dana60 rear, Dana30HP Front Warn manual hub conversion, 6 inch mostly Tera long arm lift. Rhino lined tub. Allied Rock 8 beadlocks. Tera-Low 4:1. Sanden OBA. Sniperfab tube fenders.

My Build Thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m.../#post12717920
stogie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 06:07 AM   #6
T-Jay
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadetastic View Post
Let's start of with, does she have her own jeep? If no I would see if she wants one lol

The other half & I have separate projects.
Bikes/jeeps/cars/guns our problem is just trying to get one another to shut-up about their own project so the other can talk about theirs.

The best way we have learned is to both the same project but our own toys- (we don't share very well + very competitive against one another)

I wish you luck! thanks
Nope She's a tiny little Taiwanese woman and can barely see over my TJ's steering wheel . It's not all bad though. She admittedly had a few laughs mudding my old RamCharger back in the day. She could barely reach the peddles, it was hilarious. As for projects...her's are collecting purses and reading Perez Hilton. I can't complain though she's a cutie, a hell of a good cook, and she lets me blow boat loads of money on my obsession. I suppose that's worth a rolled eye now and then.
T-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 07:53 AM   #7
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

@Jade: Did you think about using aluminum rivets and washers to mount the gutter guards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.
CopperCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 08:31 AM   #8
dbbd1

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Real nice trick with the gutter guards. Sharp!

The only problem that you have with anyone in this world, is what you expect of them.

Society is no match for a stupid person.

"Life Is tough but it is tougher when you are stupid"

-John Wayne
dbbd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 08:43 AM   #9
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Those look really good. If I tried this, I am certain I would have them looking like...

o O O o O
Jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 10:20 AM   #10
Skytard
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stogie25 View Post
Good work. Nice write up. It came out great.

I like your jeep bro, one question tho, if you ever had to use your stinger would your roller fairlead rip off, it looks like it sticks out farther than the stinger. just curious
Unread 03-16-2011, 10:23 AM   #11
Skytard
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Jay View Post
Nope She's a tiny little Taiwanese woman and can barely see over my TJ's steering wheel . It's not all bad though. She admittedly had a few laughs mudding my old RamCharger back in the day. She could barely reach the peddles, it was hilarious. As for projects...her's are collecting purses and reading Perez Hilton. I can't complain though she's a cutie, a hell of a good cook, and she lets me blow boat loads of money on my obsession. I suppose that's worth a rolled eye now and then.
When I started reading this I thought that sentence was going in a different direction.
Unread 03-16-2011, 12:36 PM   #12
stogie25
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytard View Post
I like your jeep bro, one question tho, if you ever had to use your stinger would your roller fairlead rip off, it looks like it sticks out farther than the stinger. just curious
I hope never to use the stinger for roll protection. The best use I see for it is seeing the forward most point of my Jeep from the drivers seat.
97 Black TJ (one owner), BFG KM2 35s, 4.7L Stroker, ARB's, Dana60 rear, Dana30HP Front Warn manual hub conversion, 6 inch mostly Tera long arm lift. Rhino lined tub. Allied Rock 8 beadlocks. Tera-Low 4:1. Sanden OBA. Sniperfab tube fenders.

My Build Thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m.../#post12717920
stogie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 12:46 PM   #13
Jadetastic
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Mmmmm Asian food- OK so thats where she has me beat. I cant cook very well but if i can soak it in beer then cook it then it usually turns out great haha

I bet she looks cute when she's angry then
I know when I do, my asian accent comes out really bad and he just starts laughing which makes me even more mad. I have the same problem when it comes to being short, short legs syndrome- thats why i like having a jeep, its perfect for midget asians. As for the purses/jeep parts funds- I can understand then seeing purses can rack up pretty quick. I bet you guys make a great couple
Jadetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 12:48 PM   #14
Jadetastic
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Haha I did too- when I read "when she lets me blow..." my mind went to the gutter but hey girls can be perves
Jadetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 12:49 PM   #15
Jadetastic
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I didnt think about that- But That is a great idea! I may have to do that after she gets painted.
thanks

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.