Duck Runner's cheap-o JK - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Duck Runner's cheap-o JK

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 06-13-2013, 09:41 PM   #16
DuckRunner09
2012 JK Wrangler 

Yeah everyone rags on harbor freight so much they don't seem to realize everything they sell is under warranty. I've had cheap crap from them before but never once have they told me to get lost like most places. "oh it broke because you're an idiot? Ok be careful with this one!"

I've got less than 4k miles on my Jeep and my wife gets peeved every time I go to the garage to do stuff to it. But I really don't care, I've wanted one since I was knee high and I'm gonna make it my own!

Unread 06-14-2013, 10:07 AM   #17
ltk1144
2001 TJ Wrangler 

How about the sway bar discos? I have the parts I need and have actually had the sway bars off so I could totally do it, but my dad is afraid the clevis pins I have from Lowe's aren't strong enough. They only cost like 2 bucks each. Where'd you get yours?
ltk1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #18
DuckRunner09
2012 JK Wrangler 

I got mine from home depot. The clevis pins are fine, I check them every 300 miles just to be safe. The biggest thing to watch out for is the cotter pins. I just take a peak every time I'm at the gas station to make sure. I always carry am extra set just in case and so far after 1500 miles I've only had to replace one cotter pin but it wasn't even that bad, just a little bent.
Unread 06-14-2013, 11:33 AM   #19
ltk1144
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hmm, thanks! Maybe i'll put them on tonight. Again, I like you're thread. Interested to see how far it goes
ltk1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #20
DuckRunner09
2012 JK Wrangler 

Projects are slowing down just because I've gotta work so much and can't get pics uploaded from my phone but I've got a list of plans for this thing.
Unread 06-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #21
DuckRunner09
2012 JK Wrangler 

Finally got a photo editor app that I can resize pics to post on here. Here's this mornings work, hood decals. Got a set made for $20. Bit of a pain getting both sides lined up the same but I think I got them pretty close. I like em anyways!

img_20130616_120441.jpg
Unread 06-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #22
Dluenz
1993 YJ Wrangler 

looks good! Its hard to see both sides at once anyways so youll be alright!
Unread 06-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #23
DuckRunner09
2012 JK Wrangler 

Well it's official, all Jeep projects came to a screeching halt. Got a little one on the way so assuming I can stay in the Jeep family at all I'm probably gonna have to upgrade to a four door. Still trying to talk some sense into my wife, I love my two door dang it!
Unread 06-28-2013, 05:53 PM   #24
ss44camaro
2013 JK Wrangler 

My buddy has a 2door and a kid, but my 4door is much more practical.
ss44camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 09:56 PM   #25
DuckRunner09
2012 JK Wrangler 

Well my 5'1 wife can't reach the back seat in a two door, nor can she drive a manual. God help me if she needs to drive my vehicle somewhere lol
Unread 07-29-2013, 01:31 PM   #26
TexNVa
2000 TJ Wrangler 

DuckRunner,
Hands down the coolest jeep just based on your hood decals. Love killing ducks. Where exactly did you bolt your lights? the windshield bracket? I have a TJ so I may not be able to do this, but what's the point in buying a bracket you dont need.
Throw me a little more info on those discos too if you dont mind.
TexNVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #27
DuckRunner09
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexNVa View Post
DuckRunner,
Hands down the coolest jeep just based on your hood decals. Love killing ducks. Where exactly did you bolt your lights? the windshield bracket? I have a TJ so I may not be able to do this, but what's the point in buying a bracket you dont need.
Throw me a little more info on those discos too if you dont mind.
Thanks man, they where a pita to get on but I love how it stands out from other Jeeps.

The lights I had actually came with bolts that where the same size and thread as the bolts for the windshield so I was able to just twist the lights on without any extra brackets or hardware.

I'll get back to ya about the discos later, I'm at the range right now so there's paper that needs killin
Unread 07-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #28
TexNVa
2000 TJ Wrangler 

right on so you backed one of the windshield bracket screws out and bolted the light right in? thats awesome and it looks clean. No rush on the discos, just like having a project to do.
Hope that paper got what it deserved.
TexNVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 01:07 PM   #29
DuckRunner09
2012 JK Wrangler 

The discos I made where nothing more than hardware I picked up from home depot. I used grade 8 7/16" clevis pins, I think 2 1/2" long if I remember right. Used grade 8 washers and cotter pins to hold them in. It was as easy as unbolting the bottom sway bar link and replacing the bolts with the clevis pins. When I go out I just pull the cotter pin, slide out the clevis and use paracord to tire the sway bar and links out of the way. It's cheap, easy and works, but if you do it you're gonna want to get in the habit of checking them once in a while. I usually take a peak every time I put gas in. Go figure the first time I didn't check them I lost one of the cotter pins and bent the clevis..
Unread 09-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #30
MarlboroWrangle

x2 on harbor freight

i've never had anything fail on me before & it sure saves me some money
MarlboroWrangle is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.