JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Cheap Tricks & Fixes (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f46/)
-   -   Duck Runner's cheap-o JK (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f46/duck-runners-cheap-o-jk-1517564/)

DuckRunner09 05-01-2013 09:35 PM

Duck Runner's cheap-o JK

2 Attachment(s)
I've got a 2012 JK 2 door sport, and I'm a penny pincher... So I'm going to see just how much truck I can build keeping the majority of the mods under $100. Lift and tires is about all I want to spend more than that on. I have an advantage being a certified welder, I can make most of the big stuff myself in my spare time like bumpers, racks, rock rails, etc. Starting off small, though. Here's what I've got going on so far:
  • Rear seat removed - free
  • Realtree front seat covers - $40
  • Realtree steering wheel cover - $20
  • Harbor freight 100 watt off road lights - $30
  • Stack on tool box bolted to the rear storage box - $17
  • 3" dome mirror on drivers side vent for doorless driving - $2
  • Angled rectangular spotter mirror on the drivers side mirror - $2
  • Cell phone mount bolted into the upper dash change tray - $12
  • Sway bar discos - $9

So far I have more money put into beer than I do accessories I think! Tomorrow the back get's bed lined, friday the fenders and bumper get the snip. Also more pictures coming!

DuckRunner09 05-01-2013 09:37 PM

Sorry about the bottom picture, not sure why it's sideways or so fricken huge...

DuckRunner09 05-02-2013 04:09 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Some quick snap shots of what I've done for cheap.

DuckRunner09 05-02-2013 04:10 PM

Anyone know why some of these pictures are ending up sideways...? They're normal on my computer but when I upload them they rotate

DuckRunner09 05-04-2013 01:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Did a bit if liposuction on duckrunner. Needs to be changed up and a better pic, but got the chop started anyways. Fenders and front bumper cropped down for more clearance and a more aggressive look

Attachment 621172

DuckRunner09 05-04-2013 01:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Better shot with the bumper roughed out, unfinished fenders and sway bar disconnected. I should probably finish the fenders and bumper before I start another project..

Attachment 621513

RyanJK08OK 05-04-2013 02:07 PM

Post a pic from the side, I want to see how the tires look with fenders chopped

DuckRunner09 05-06-2013 05:40 PM

I'll get side pics posted tomorrow or wednesday. Internet's out at my house so I'll make sure next time I go to my buddies to upload some more pics for you.

DuckRunner09 06-04-2013 06:57 AM

Sorry about the not keeping up to date or getting the pics up. Can't figure out how to resize pics on my phone and now I don't have actual internet.

Anyways since the last update I've finished the bumper, made homemade end caps out of fiberglass and put the side markers from the fenders in them. I've also put door stripping on the fenders, painted the off road lights od green, same with the windshield hood latch, added a 13" stubby antenna, black Jeep emblem instead of the chrome one and figured out how to work the fog lights.. Don't know why that was so hard for me lol

ss44camaro 06-06-2013 09:03 AM

i bought door trim from autozone and cover the finder edges, cleaned up yhr unfinished look.

DuckRunner09 06-06-2013 09:19 AM

Yeah I went cheap and got it at Walmart. Like $8 for 30 feet. I like it, but at the same time I don't. I'm going to try something different sometime this summer when I get time. Gonna fiberglass coat the fenders and sand the edges down smooth and straight. Figured it'll cover up any waves in the cut, and mask the factory molding edges.

Dluenz 06-12-2013 06:11 PM

Southern Cuts :2thumbsup:

ltk1144 06-13-2013 02:24 PM

How much you spend on the brackets for the lights by the mirrors? Or did you make em, having metalworking knowledge? How do you like the lights themselves?

DuckRunner09 06-13-2013 02:43 PM

I actually didn't need any bracket for them. Amazingly they where the same size and thread as the original nuts so I just bolted the lights directly to the truck. I love three lights, great value for what I paid. Plus lifetime warranty... Can't beat harbor freight. I do have quite a bit of metal work experience. Been certified for three years. Just need to get new equipment before I can start metal fab on the Jeep. I've been overseas for a couple years and have only been back for two months so I'm trying to rebuild my stock of toys and tools

ltk1144 06-13-2013 09:28 PM

That's cool that you don't need brackets. Might have to check those out as I love lights mounted up there but brackets sure seem pretty overpriced! I wasn't aware that harbor freight had a warranty at all either. I like your JK, I think JKs are totally cool. I like that you're not afraid to use it and be creative even though its a fairly new car.

The time now is 12:53 PM.