DIY JK Door Hanger/Shelf for Doors with Rainguards - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > DIY JK Door Hanger/Shelf for Doors with Rainguards

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #1
ciphershort
2009 JK Wrangler 

DIY JK Door Hanger/Shelf for Doors with Rainguards

Since I have rainguards on my JK unlimited doors, I couldn't use the conventional door hangers so I decided to build my own. I got this idea from somewhere else online and modified it to fit my needs. Thought I would share. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Here's the layout and materials list:

instructions.jpg

I used an electric stapler to staple the foam pipe insulation with a little glue underneath. Since it was originally circular, it takes a little convincing to flatten it out.

shelf-20side-20view.jpg

This is the blocks up top that the top part of the doors rest against. The center line should be at 45" to hit the doors right. I put an eye lag screw in the sides for the bungee straps to hook to. I used more pipe insulation foam here. It is smaller in diameter...maybe for 1-inch pipe I can't really remember. You can cut it to size really easily.

block-1.jpg
block-2.jpg

Here's it all completed with the doors. I added a block in the center to hold my mirrors when I have my doors on so they don't get damaged. It's just a block with two 3/8" holes drilled out for the mirror shafts to slide down into.

hanger-20with-20doors.jpg

Last edited by ciphershort; 03-20-2013 at 04:30 PM..
ciphershort is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 08:55 PM   #2
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Love it!
Unread 03-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #3
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Looks great.
Unread 03-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
medijeep

1999 TJ Wrangler 

very sharp!
medijeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #5
silverstonemkiv
1998 TJ Wrangler 

great idea!
silverstonemkiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 10:09 AM   #6
ciphershort
2009 JK Wrangler 

Thanks! In retrospect, I wish I would have hung the shelf a little lower. The front doors are a slight struggle getting them up that high. Not impossible obviously... Those doors are heavier than I anticipated.
Unread 03-15-2013, 11:06 PM   #7
whiskeywiz
Heineken?

1989 YJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=ciphershort;15121126]Thanks! In retrospect, I wish I would have hung the shelf a little lower. The front doors are a slight struggle getting them up that high. Not impossible obviously... Those doors are heavier than I anticipated.[/QUOT

and if i were to do exactly this, what is the current and suggested measured height from top of floor to top of shelf? Looks great.
whiskeywiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 11:10 PM   #8
whiskeywiz
Heineken?

1989 YJ Wrangler 

[quote=whiskeywiz;15142327]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciphershort View Post
Thanks! In retrospect, I wish I would have hung the shelf a little lower. The front doors are a slight struggle getting them up that high. Not impossible obviously... Those doors are heavier than I anticipated.[/QUOT

and if i were to do exactly this, what is the current and suggested measured height from top of floor to top of shelf? Looks great.
Oops... I found your current elevation on the print. How much would you say to drop it?
Unread 03-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #9
BigWhis
2011 JK Wrangler 

That's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing!
Unread 03-19-2013, 09:41 AM   #10
ciphershort
2009 JK Wrangler 

[quote=whiskeywiz;15142345]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeywiz View Post

Oops... I found your current elevation on the print. How much would you say to drop it?
I'm 6ft tall and would be comfortable with it being about 6-8 inches lower. A good way to measure may be taking your door off and lifting it as high as you can with your elbows locked and getting a second person to measure the distance from the floor to the door.
Unread 03-21-2013, 07:08 AM   #11
whiskeywiz
Heineken?

1989 YJ Wrangler 

obviously, it could be built just a couple inches off the ground. Why might you suggest not too? To prevent paint dings? Low wall space is premium too, right?

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense". - Buddha
Unread 03-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #12
ciphershort
2009 JK Wrangler 

Right. I keep things like bikes and other items on the ground and didn't want them to scratch the doors. That's pretty much my only reason for having it higher than lower.
Unread 10-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #13
ciphershort
2009 JK Wrangler 

Just thought I would report back after several months of use... It is all holding up awesomely well as my doors have been sitting on it for practically the entire summer. The only thing I might change if doing this from scratch again is make the bottom shelf deeper somehow for the front doors. My front doors are a *exact* fit and the pattern in the plastic on the inside of the door down low has rubbed the paint off the sheetrock from the few times I've taken them down. I may try to router out part of the front-facing 2x4 to give me some more depth for the front doors.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.