Decrease Ice And Snow Buildup On Windshield Wipers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Decrease Ice And Snow Buildup On Windshield Wipers

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 01-20-2011, 08:06 PM   #1
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Decrease Ice And Snow Buildup On Windshield Wipers

For those of you that drive in the snow you know what I mean when I say that Jeepís (CJ YJ TJ LJ) flat windshield is not snow friendly. The snow splats instead of aerodynamically blowing over it. Then the wiper blades start to get ice buildup stuck to them and next thing you know you have to stop and slap the snow and ice off of the blades.

I removed my wiper blades at the base (splined end) and moved them one notch on the spine, which moves them higher on the windshield. The driverís side is now in the path of the defroster and at city speeds it keeps the snow off of the blade for at least 4 to 5 times longer. (Havenít tested at highway speeds yet) This doesnít help the passenger because there is no defrost vent blowing on that wiper.

This is a major improvement at zero cost.

Quote:
Does your gas tank overflow at the pump?
SUBMIT FORMAL COMPLAINT HERE!

2005 Rubicon LJ Unlimited - 4 1/2" BDS Suspension - 285/75/16 Toyo M/T's - 12,000# Winch - Ground Pounder Fab Rear Bumper - FabRieckAtions Custom Front Bumper - Overkill Engineering Tube Fenders - GR8 Half Top - Rock Hard Cage - Banks Monster Exhaust - 5.13 Gears - High Performance Flux Capacitor

1976 CJ-7 - 33" Super Swampers - BDS 4" Suspension - 6 Point Roll Cage
Mud Machine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2011, 08:40 PM   #2
R U STUCK
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the tip. I will go try it tonight. I live 18 miles from my job. So we are getting a storm now. I had to pull over 3 times tonight to "slap" the wipers and scrape the ice off the blades.
Unread 01-22-2011, 05:46 PM   #3
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Here is another trick for keeping ice from building up is silicon spray on the wiper blade. Just protect the windshield from over spray. Do not ask I found out about that the hard way.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2011, 10:05 PM   #4
overblown
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ive had great luck with spraying it down with rain-x. I do the same with my glass and I never have to scrape ice and the snow just falls right off. Very hassle free and cheap too.
overblown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2011, 12:42 PM   #5
04ollllloguy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

waxing the windshield and spraying the silicon on the blades really helps along with the spline adjustment. also if you have those small pits in the glass the wax eliminates alot of them.
04ollllloguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2011, 11:39 PM   #6
Bigbob

What is snow?
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2011, 07:19 PM   #7
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob View Post
What is snow?
Come to the north you will findout. You guy that live out on the west coast miss a lot of fun. NOT!
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2011, 08:48 PM   #8
Jackup
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob View Post
What is snow?
I'm so jealous of that question. lol
_(o) )___(o) )--(o) )
Jackup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2011, 01:30 PM   #9
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I would also like to know what the snow is and rust? What is this rust everyone speaks of??

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2011, 01:50 PM   #10
rsq41
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.7stroker View Post
I would also like to know what the snow is and rust? What is this rust everyone speaks of??
Snow is fun! Rust, not so much so...

A week or two back, a buddy of my advised the WK wipers also has a design flaw for just this reason - blades are too low in relation to defroster vents and the wipers collect freezing run-off. Snow predicted on Monday... Time to get out the rain-ex bottle to try first... Thanks!
Unread 02-05-2011, 08:10 PM   #11
sonofahunter
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a pretty good idea, might have to try it since they are forecasting another big storm next week for nj.
sonofahunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2011, 02:41 AM   #12
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

My original wiper arms were starting to feel weak so I put two new wiper arms on. The additonal pressure on the glass if very noticable. Autozone part #42591. Next time it snows I will give them the test.

Quote:
Does your gas tank overflow at the pump?
SUBMIT FORMAL COMPLAINT HERE!

2005 Rubicon LJ Unlimited - 4 1/2" BDS Suspension - 285/75/16 Toyo M/T's - 12,000# Winch - Ground Pounder Fab Rear Bumper - FabRieckAtions Custom Front Bumper - Overkill Engineering Tube Fenders - GR8 Half Top - Rock Hard Cage - Banks Monster Exhaust - 5.13 Gears - High Performance Flux Capacitor

1976 CJ-7 - 33" Super Swampers - BDS 4" Suspension - 6 Point Roll Cage
Mud Machine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2011, 11:03 AM   #13
LowGT
2012 WK 

I was just driving in the snow today and thought it was a dumb design that the defroster doesn't blow near or on the wiper blades. I think every car I've owned the defroster hits the glass right at the blades and aides in thawing them out.

Great idea on kicking the arms up a notch. BAM! You're like the Emeril Legasse of the Jeep world now, haha.
LowGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.