Death wobble - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Death wobble

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 11-10-2011, 06:59 AM   #16
Remmy18
2012 JK Wrangler 

Nice! Thanks for the tip!

Remmy18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2011, 10:28 AM   #17
NjzfinestG

is this "death wobble" the shuttering i feel at 50-60?
NjzfinestG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2011, 11:36 AM   #18
Mike
oooh you almost had it

Quote:
Originally Posted by NjzfinestG
is this "death wobble" the shuttering i feel at 50-60?
more than likely no. its pretty pronounced and somewhat violent, quickly jerking the wheel back and forth. look it up on youtube.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2011, 03:58 PM   #19
jonifun
1998 ZJ 

He's right death wobble is aptly named because you think your about to die. Usualy at about 45 mph but I'm sure it could occur at other speeds with an extremely compromised setup
jonifun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2011, 02:52 PM   #20
fearnomud

I had a 93 jeep Cherokee and one of the front seals were blown out when the gear dope got low I would get a bad vibration in the front end kinda like a death wobble check that it may play a part
fearnomud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2011, 10:25 AM   #21
MyName1sMud
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfactor View Post
you could try to swap the rear tires to the front
I did this and fixed mine.

Still need to get one of those stabilizers though
MyName1sMud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #22
jzerlang
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Hmm
jzerlang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2011, 11:12 PM   #23
DeadheadG
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ok do there are a few things that could be causing your death wobble. If your tires feel like they are bouncing back and forth, it is most likely your alignment. Now of your tires are bald, this will cause it too. Check all bushings for extreme wear, less likely cause. If your front end feels like it is shaking from left to right, this is not death wobble, it is most likely tires out of balance, or a shot steering stabilizer. Start by having tires balanced, then replace stabilizer, if your stabilizer is more than 5 years old replace it anyways, it will make a huge difference. If these remedies don't solve it, hit me up and we can troubleshoot it in more detail.
DeadheadG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2011, 02:06 PM   #24
Dubs0155
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Deadhead is right. I have had death wobble on my jeep and thought that the car was going to fall apart. I went to one garage and his idea of fixing the problem was telling me to replace everything in the jeep...that is not the answer I wanted to hear. I went to a front end expert and they simply balanced my tires and did an alignment and the problem was fixed.

What a jeep hits a pot hole or major bump in the road it will usually cause an alignment issue where your front wheels are toed in and that will cause the problem. There are a few things that can lead to death wobble but a simple alignment will fix the majority of them. A stabilizer will not fix your problem, but will mask it.
Dubs0155 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #25
Ilikewheeling

I had the same problem on my zj bought it like that and spent hours and hours scratching my head and beating it on the wall trying to fix it I replaced the trac bar the control arms the tie rods drop
Pitman arm and it still did it everybody said the tires the tires i didn't think just the tires could cause the violent wobble it's almost like dieing but I made it alot better by replacing what i did but it still did it until I recently got new tires and rims and it's like brand new couldn't believe it
Ilikewheeling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2012, 08:21 PM   #26
Remmy18
2012 JK Wrangler 

Insightful
Remmy18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2012, 08:55 PM   #27
1stblack97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

longer lower control arms fixed it for me.
Plenty of lights
1stblack97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #28
greasemonkey123
1973 CJ5 

well i just bought a 1997 Xj sport and it had the same issue if yours has a lift kit you may want to check your bushings because that's what caused mine to get the death wobble at 30Mph it could be that they are not the right bushings so what they'll probably have to do is bore out the holes for larger bushings and bolts. so you may want to check to see if your bushings are worn down. it could also be your tie rods as well. but i would mainly check all your bushings first. like what everyone else is saying a alignment should fix the wobble as well.
greasemonkey123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2012, 05:12 PM   #29

This order check: Shocks, Wheel Bearings, Bushings, lower control arms, Pitman Arm, Wheel Balance
416469 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2012, 11:42 PM   #30
mark9998
2010 JK Wrangler 

my dad installed a new steering stabalizer on his 05 TJ and did the trick
mark9998 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.