Death wobble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Death wobble

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 10-01-2011, 12:57 PM   #1
goldeagle06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Death wobble

What could be causing my jeep to get death wobble around 50 mph I had the tires balanced but it still does it. It has a 2in lift on 32s

goldeagle06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2011, 01:28 PM   #2
Remmy18
2012 JK Wrangler 

Alignment or tie rods. An easy fix can be an upgraded steering stabilizer but it's a bandaid and doesn't solve your true issue. I have an 08 Jk on 35's and started having a problem too. I had everything checked and upgraded the stabilizer to a BDS one and it's surprisingly better.
Remmy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
goldeagle06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I had put a new steering stabilizer it helped for alittle but it's back already so idk I work at a mopar dealer so I might just get one of the techs to look at it
Unread 10-02-2011, 07:55 PM   #4
Remmy18
2012 JK Wrangler 

Good luck! Post back if you find out anything
Unread 10-04-2011, 09:57 PM   #5
96xjmonster
1996 XJ Cherokee 

i had this same problem

i had this same problem it is an easy fix it is bushing in your front trac bar i got a polly urithane one from my local advanced auto tor for like twenty bucks it took about five mind to change. it fixed my and hassent happend since. mybuddy had the same problem and when we went to fix his the mount was messed up frm letting it go to bad o we had to weld a washer on to it and it fixxed his two. hope ths helps..
96xjmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2011, 10:33 AM   #6
lokdown00

This really helped I had the same problem thanks
lokdown00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 06:02 AM   #7
Remmy18
2012 JK Wrangler 

I couldn't find the Track Bar bushings anywhere including jeep. I did tighten the track bar bolts and that helped a lot. I also ordered a Zone Track bar with poly bushings. Hopefully this will solve it. If not, I may install a drop pitman arm too..
Unread 10-09-2011, 06:07 AM   #8
jeepfactor
2005 LJ Wrangler 

alighnment or worn out parts in the frontend
jeepfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 11:53 AM   #9
Remmy18
2012 JK Wrangler 

I had the alignment and front end checked. They said it was in great shape....
Unread 10-09-2011, 01:32 PM   #10
goldeagle06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I put a new track bar bushing in and did not fix it. I believe it's my tires causing the problem
Unread 10-09-2011, 04:52 PM   #11
jeepfactor
2005 LJ Wrangler 

you could try to swap the rear tires to the front
jeepfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2011, 10:25 AM   #12
goldeagle06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I had tried that it did not fix it
Unread 10-11-2011, 05:43 PM   #13
irish4x4
1996 XJ Cherokee 

had the same problem had a worn tire ... also needed ball joints and tire rod ends
irish4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2011, 09:30 AM   #14
Remmy18
2012 JK Wrangler 

I just installed the Zone track bar and it helped tremendously. I'd say about a 90% improvement. When I get around to it, I'm probably going to install a drop pitman arm too
Unread 11-08-2011, 03:05 AM   #15
jonifun
1998 ZJ 

Hi Im new here but not new to jeeps. I've just posted info about dw cure. Here is a copy of what my research has brought me to.

Hi I am a jeep owner and have the real answer to death wobble ! It's the very bad description in the jeep tech manual at dealers telling them the wrong settings for steering castor angle adjustment. I have lifted my jeep grand Cherokee 4 " this normaly brings on death wobble if all you do is lift. But if you are lucky enough to have adjustable lower axle control arms and an angle gauge you can easily get rid of wobble on any jeep no matter how worn out all the parts are. I can't remember the exact angle I decided upon in the end 7 degrees from vertical comes to mind. The tech book that Chrysler gives out could be interpreted that the arms are adjusted to different lengths opposite each other depending on left or right hand drive or road camber! This is not right and the arms should both be the on the same settings. If the castor is verticle your jeep will wobble like a supermarket trolley if it is slightly back it will drive in a straight line more easily. To far back makes heavy steering. It's a nice thing to understand and experiment with and costs nothing. Also the upper and lower arms are made of soft steel to bend up in an impact and should be replaced if they look buckled or damaged. I spent a long time and several thousand pounds to work this out and have now started reusing some of the old worn parts I replaced with new. I have also tried setting castor back a few degrees on just one side to see if it comes back and sure enough if I go over a bump on the brow of a hill at 40 I get shakes back. Oh and absolute zero toe. If you don't know what toe and castor is there's lots of very good explanations on wiki. Just done 300 miles towing a two tone trailer making my front end light but still as solid as a rock. I also think putting front springs on the back helps as the angle to the road is less affected by weight in the back causing sag. Mine is a 1999 grand Cherokee with 220000 miles done mostly towing a huge trailer full of pianos running on lpg gas so carrying a 110 litre tank in the back and a rear towbar mount spare wheel. Basicaly everything there to make death wobble and I fixed it with a £7 angle Guage but after years of hunting for answers. I've adjusted castor on other jeeps and cured it permanently in about 20 minutes.
jonifun is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.