CV Joint Temporary fix - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > CV Joint Temporary fix

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 12-18-2012, 01:01 AM   #1
btrep
2002 WJ 

CV Joint Temporary fix

Hello Jeepers,
First time posting an info thread (I usually need help).

The CV joints in my front end were pretty well crapped out - Grinding at the slightest turn, heavy resistance in the steering wheel - I got a temporary fix for ya.

Your going to need small hole punch(~1mm), WD-40, marine grease, grease gun, pin inflation tip (ex. to pump up a basketball), short(~3") CLEAR hose, and two small clamps. Might be easier if an extra person was with you too.

First, if you have the fitting to go onto to a grease fitting, take it off. heat one end of a 1/4" clear hose, fit it over the grease gun threads. Clamp it good, a lot of pressure will be applied. On the other end of the hose, slide the inflation tip inside the hose, clamp that good too.

Slide under your Jeep, use the hole punch to put a tiny hole in the boot. Spray a bit of WD-40 inside the boot first. Then pop in in the inflation tip, start pumping away on the grease gun(this is where 3 hands would come in "handy"). Pump until you see the boot start expanding. Take the tip out, and voila. Now I know that there is now a hole in the boot, and it is now exposed to everything, but like I said......TEMPORARY FIX. Drive around a bit, just to spread the wealth to all the components inside the boot, do some figure eights, and stress the wheel from side to side.

When all was said and done for me, the steering resistance went away. The grinding was still there a bit, but diminished to a low dull after a while. If need be, reapply as needed. Since Kolak has drained my Jeep budget because of his great prices, I'll have to wait til next year to get the replacement CV joints.

Sorry for the length, and I hope at least one person finds this helpful.

Thanks,
btrep

btrep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2012, 05:40 AM   #2
paintballtruck
1979 J-Series Truck 

they also make a grease needle that goes right onto the grease gun that you can stick through the boot they are pretty cheap to get just ask at the parts store for them
paintballtruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 04:49 AM   #3
Baitis
2004 WJ 

Waiting to replace a known bad CV joint is a safety problem. When the CV explodes at low speed the damage is usually minimal. If the CV explodes at speed the damage even if you don't wreck can be extensive and expensive. Been there only a few days after the clicking noise started, not fun & not cheap.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.