Clutch problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Clutch problems

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 06-20-2013, 11:52 PM   #1
SunniLuke

Clutch problems

Hey everyone
Not sure if this is the correct section to post this in but here goes nothing...
First off some background on the jeep. 1991 yj wrangler. 5 speed 4 cyl ..
So recently I realized that my clutch pedal/lever started becoming very loose. When I used to engage clutch it would start
To give some resistance about half way pressed down. Now I can barely put pressure on it and it goes right to the ground.
Then I started to notice that the clutch wouldn't engage until the pedal was literally pressed against the floor of jeep. Then it started to become difficult to shift into first gear. When I would start from a Complete stop it felt as if there was no first gear for the shifter to move into.. I would have to keep pressing and unpressing clutch until it finally caught into first... The clutch was replaced by previous owner abouT 6000 miles ago..I have the receipt for proof. Some extra information...I also learned to drive stick on this jeep...some people have been saying I could have burned the clutch out by learning on this jeep but I don't think a 'like new' clutch would burn out that fast (I picked up stick fast) thanks in advance for your input

SunniLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 11:59 PM   #2
SunniLuke

Additional info: heard it could be several issues...leak or lack of fluid in master cylinder, burnt out clutch, slave cylinder. Wondering if anyone could pinpoint the issue..bringing to a friends shop on Monday btw
SunniLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
TCrow2

My clutch went soft a few weeks ago too. Was a leak in master cylinder. Just unscrew cap on master cylinder and make sure its full. Mine was real low on fluid and ijust topped it off every few days till I replaced it.
TCrow2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.