clutch pedel switch bypass - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 01-22-2007, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Timfromjersey

clutch pedel switch bypass

hello everyone does anyone in here know how to bypass a clutch pedel switch the switch tha wont let your vehicle start unless you push down on the clutch.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 01-23-2007, 01:51 PM
luk4mud
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Look in your owner's manual. If your year has the feaure, the manual will tell you which fuse to pull to bypass the clutch switch.

Originally Posted by Divinitous
I did something like this a while back for my corolla. I poked a hole into the ducting and ran a hose to stick into my shorts. It didnt work thew best cause I never plugged up the vents, but it did help.
post #3 of 28 Old 01-25-2007, 12:48 PM
PeteC
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennylou1
Look in your owner's manual. If your year has the feaure, the manual will tell you which fuse to pull to bypass the clutch switch.
If I am not mistaken, there is a fuse you put in, rather than one you pull. Don't have my manual with me and the Jeep is not at home either, but I am sure someone will pipe up. There have been other threads about this. You can search or even look in the TJ forum, might be there somewhere.

'00 TJ With toys, lift and tires.
'10 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad 4x4. Daily driver and tow rig
'05 Dodge Neon. Wifes daily driver and gas sipper.
There is no Bandaid for Stupidity
Sorry if my support of legal wheeling offends you
post #4 of 28 Old 01-25-2007, 01:16 PM
mylt1

you can wire in a momentary switch tied into your starter. have done it to several vech's in the past.
post #5 of 28 Old 01-29-2007, 10:32 PM
hockey369
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I used to have one on my 01 TJ then after a few wheelin trips it doesnt work anymore. Maybe it was the drownin the jeep in water that allowed the jeep to be started without the clutch depressed now. Im not sure why it starts now like this but i enjoy it.

01 TJ Sahara, RE BB w/ Skyjacker Hydro Shocks, 1.25" BL, 1" MML, 33x12.5x15 Pro Comp Mud Terrains on Soft 8s, Rampage Frameless Top, A to Z Rocker Guards, JKS Quicker Disconnects, KC Windshield Long Range Lights, UCF Engine Skid, UCF UHC Transmission Skid
My other toys:
04 Harley V-Rod
99 Yamaha GP1200 (For Sale)
post #6 of 28 Old 02-02-2007, 11:48 AM
06slvrrubi
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I did this to my TJ so I could put a remote starter in it. There is a fuse under the hood on 03 (?) up TJ's that you insert to disable the clutch safety switch. The only problem with that is, it leaves your "4WD" light on on your dash. Even when you're in 2WD. So I just pulled the connector off of the switch itself and inserted an electrical spade connector into the harness end of the connector. Doing this "jumped" the two terminals. Voila. No need to push the clutch anymore to start it.

And P.S., (I was worried about this for a while until I tested it) Cruise control still works normally with the switch disconnected and jumped.

1995 YJ Rio Grande
post #7 of 28 Old 02-13-2007, 08:15 PM
conor.davis

i read in the TJ forum that in the fuse box behind the glove box there is a place where you can insert a fuse in very bottom left hand side that says something like auto trans that you can insert a 20A fuse and it will bypass... havent tryied it yet.

2001 Wrangler Sport 4.0, 5-speed, 4.11's, detroit trutrack (front), aussie locker (rear), 4.5'' Rubicon Express, K and N cold air intake, Flowmaster 40 series muffler, 33" BF Goodwrench Mud Terrain, Warn 8,000lb Winch, 6" extended fender flares, Bestop oversize tire carrier, Explorer Pro Comp off road lights.
post #8 of 28 Old 02-15-2007, 06:07 AM
06slvrrubi
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by conor.davis
i read in the TJ forum that in the fuse box behind the glove box there is a place where you can insert a fuse in very bottom left hand side that says something like auto trans that you can insert a 20A fuse and it will bypass... havent tryied it yet.

Read my reply above your's.

1995 YJ Rio Grande
post #9 of 28 Old 02-15-2007, 10:59 AM
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timfromjersey
hello everyone does anyone in here know how to bypass a clutch pedel switch the switch tha wont let your vehicle start unless you push down on the clutch.
Having the safety of needing to depress the clutch to start the rig is a good thing. I think the best way to overide the clutch deal is to install a button that goes directly to the starter. That way should you stall on the trail just push the button. The button should be fed from the switched side of the ingition switch. That way someone can't just push the button while the Jeep is parked in gear and cause an accident.

2006 Solar Yellow Rubicon Unlimited
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
post #10 of 28 Old 02-15-2007, 01:12 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Bypass the interlock permanently and never look back. We drove clutch-based cars since the early 1900's without a clutch interlock and did just fine. It was some lawyer not many years ago who caused the interlock to start being used after some yahoo screwed up and didn't depress his clutch while starting his engine. '97 TJs bypass the interlock by moving a plug, newer TJs only need a fuse to be inserted into the bypass fuse location.

If you can learn to drive and maneuver a vehicle without running into other cars and your trash cans, you don't need an additional interlock to prevent you from doing something stupid.

Some people think there can't be too many warnings and interlocks... like the warnings on McDonald's coffee cups warning the consumer of the hot beverage inside that could scald them or hair dryers with warnings against using them while taking a bath, etc.

Getting
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When you have a choice, buy American.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 28 Old 02-15-2007, 02:27 PM
92blazn

2010 JK Wrangler 

Long Story short, I burnt up my starter, and replaced it with a used Grand Cherokee starter since there the same , but the Starter was from a Auto Grand and when I did that I can now start it with out pushing in the clutch

crazy but thats what I did and discovered it on accident

Bought it from LKQ parts/junk yard for $45 shipped and it was out of a 03 Auto Grand Charokee I6 4.0L

2004 TJ (SOLD), 2010 4 Door 4x4 JK , 99 TJ , 99 WJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mean Fish
I'm not actually going for the wheeling, I just want to watch Ed drive his Jeep. :o
post #12 of 28 Old 02-15-2007, 04:39 PM
mylt1

ummmm, the starter has nothing to do with it. the interlock is just like the neutral safety swich on an auto. so something else had to have been done to your jeep for it to start without the cluch being depressed.
post #13 of 28 Old 02-16-2007, 10:38 AM
92blazn

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylt1
ummmm, the starter has nothing to do with it. the interlock is just like the neutral safety swich on an auto. so something else had to have been done to your jeep for it to start without the cluch being depressed.
got me, all I know is the starter burnt up replaced it with a Grand Auto Starter LOL and dont have to push in the clutch

2004 TJ (SOLD), 2010 4 Door 4x4 JK , 99 TJ , 99 WJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mean Fish
I'm not actually going for the wheeling, I just want to watch Ed drive his Jeep. :o
post #14 of 28 Old 02-16-2007, 11:35 AM
Faramir66103
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm going to put a switch inline to bypass the interlock. It's also going to have a nice bright warning LED. We have both automatic and manual vehicles, and though I don't consider myself stupid, I have, on occasion, tried to push down the clutch pedal on the automatic, or forgotten to push it down on the manual. I figure it's an easy mod, and will be much more convenient than having to deal with the fuse.

FWIW,
Adam

'99 TJ Sport, 4.0 I6, 5 speed manual transmission, Hi Lift w/offroad kit, Viair 450C compressor, Garmin GPS, Skid Row Engine/Transmission, steering box & radiator skid plates, Kilby gas tank plate, AtoZ Fab full length rocker guards, Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift, OME 2.5" HD springs & shocks, JKS trackbars front & rear, BFG AT 33x12.5r15, EBC Yellow pads and Centric rotors
post #15 of 28 Old 12-14-2007, 01:49 PM
ShermanTank
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Hi , first time poster/new member.... so, this fuse method to bi pass the clutch safety works on 2006 rubi unlimited aswell?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.