Chip Locker - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Chip Locker

CurrieSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 12-29-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
BlackDevil
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Chip Locker

I am a little trouble when I have to pass through the muddy hill. The problem, open diff on the front axle D30 in my XJ. Locker certainly could be a solution, but are quite expensive.

One time, I accidentally saw a Volvo rear axle that contains a kind of locker. I am curious and trying to find out on the internet from its shape and the answer is that Eaton G80 product. I then tried installing it on the D30 and it worked.

Are there any on this forum who have used G80 as an off-road device? Can you share the experience with me?

BlackDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2011, 09:36 PM   #2
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Looking around I saw the term Gbomb

Good luck
Unread 01-15-2011, 01:18 AM   #3
huntandfish
2004 WJ 

A great place for outdoorsmen in the NW. www.hunting-washington.com Member Screen name- addicted
huntandfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2011, 01:07 PM   #4
BlackDevil
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks Azzy and Huntandfish. I might agree that some form of treatment will lead to the locker shattered. In the second video posted by Huntandfish, I noticed that the weight of the vehicle and large engine power may indeed not fit with the G80. Moreover, G80 mounted on the rear axle with a load more power. On the other hand, I use it to the front axle (D30) which of course get the distribution of power is smaller than the rear axle. According to friends here who already had plenty experience , whether the use of G80 on the front axle will still cause the damage as the videos posted by Azzy ? Please, if anyone can provide information how much approximately the power out put of the car that was shown on video posts Huntandfish? This comparison is important for me, because with the engine Cherokee XJ that only about 190 hp, G80 still safe until now. Anyway, thanks for sharing...
Unread 01-15-2011, 01:14 PM   #5
BlackDevil
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
Looking around I saw the term Gbomb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zit49L-7_A

Good luck
Azzy, if you have own experience with the use of lockers are falling apart like in the video? What happened to the other locker products? Thanks for let me know.
Unread 01-15-2011, 01:47 PM   #6
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Shock loading destroys axle components, not smooth application of powwer. Wheel hop is ROUGH on stuff. And I'd disagree that the front gets 'less power'. It certainly sees plenty of shock loading, but then part of the problem is wheelspin/hop.

But since the Aussie locker is tried and true for a D30... why screw around with Volvo parts?

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2011, 04:50 PM   #7
kcaverly
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Because you can probably buy it from a JY for $25 instead of $250 for an aussie.

I think this is really interesting. I think for a lightweight vehicle like a jeep with a lot less power than those v8 full sizes it should be ok. If GM put it in fullsize vehicles they must have thought it would hold up ok.

Kevin
kcaverly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2011, 04:42 PM   #8
kcaverly
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The discussion here is about the G80 out of older volvo's, which happened to use a D30 in the rear of many of their turbo wagons, with the G80 posi-lock.

How did you get it to work, BlackDevil? Did you just bolt your ring gear on it and install? Axle shaft lengths work out OK? I have a spare D30 lying around I can test install it in, but it would be nice to know any difficulties you had, and how you surmounted them.

Thanks,
Kevin
Unread 01-17-2011, 06:10 PM   #9
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDevil View Post
Azzy, if you have own experience with the use of lockers are falling apart like in the video? What happened to the other locker products? Thanks for let me know.
None, although the idea interested me so I started to look around. All I saw was issues and trouble. Makes sens though, it needs to get up to speed to get momentum and engage, so you have a violent action happening, and the insides do not look as sturdy as some of the others out there.

I think that if you were to engage the thing, it wouldnt even work until you got momentum to where it would blow apart.
Unread 01-18-2011, 12:53 AM   #10
BlackDevil
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcaverly View Post
The discussion here is about the G80 out of older volvo's, which happened to use a D30 in the rear of many of their turbo wagons, with the G80 posi-lock.

How did you get it to work, BlackDevil? Did you just bolt your ring gear on it and install? Axle shaft lengths work out OK? I have a spare D30 lying around I can test install it in, but it would be nice to know any difficulties you had, and how you surmounted them.

Thanks,
Kevin
Yes Kevin, its installation is not too difficult. Just go to the original carrier, remove the ring gear and carrier pairs on G80. Size of the carrier and the number of bolt holes are same, there are 10 holes. A little problem, because you have to cut the left axle shaft about 10 mm.

I've tried this G80 several times in the off-road terrain and muddy slope with MT tire, push the throttle til 4000 rpm or something and do not cause damage. As I know, G80 start work at speeds below 25 mph and if there are differences in rotation between the right wheel and left wheel about 100 rpm. Once you get same speed rotation, then the G80 automatically release more like an open diff.
Unread 01-18-2011, 09:42 PM   #11
kcaverly
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have any information about what vehicle it came from?
I know volvo, but what year, model, turbo?

Kevin
Unread 01-19-2011, 08:52 AM   #12
BlackDevil
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcaverly View Post
Do you have any information about what vehicle it came from?
I know volvo, but what year, model, turbo?

Kevin
You can get it from model wagon or sedan 900 series with turbo engine. But be careful, do not select from the Volvo 900 series which uses an independent suspension. This model is also equipped G80 locker, but uses 26 spline so it can not be used on D30. Please count the teeth or you can recognize the difference of their dimensions. G80 with 26 spline slightly smaller than a 27 spline.
Unread 01-19-2011, 09:02 AM   #13
BlackDevil
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Oh ya, also can be checked from the white sticker located on the rear left side of the axle tube. Stickers inform the axle serial number, final gear ratio of 3.73 and axle 1041 series for G80 or 1031 which is only equipped with LSD (using FG 4.10). I have a sticker pic and the G80 sitting on my D30, but unfortunately I could not post them on this thread. If you need these pics, please pm your email address.
Unread 01-19-2011, 10:01 AM   #14
NYTrailrider
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDevil View Post
I am a little trouble when I have to pass through the muddy hill. The problem, open diff on the front axle D30 in my XJ. Locker certainly could be a solution, but are quite expensive.

One time, I accidentally saw a Volvo rear axle that contains a kind of locker. I am curious and trying to find out on the internet from its shape and the answer is that Eaton G80 product. I then tried installing it on the D30 and it worked.

Are there any on this forum who have used G80 as an off-road device? Can you share the experience with me?
What?
NYTrailrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2011, 10:08 AM   #15
onelow1ton
1983 FSJ Wagoneer 

i had a g80 in my lifted Colorado wit 33s and took it 4wheeling all the time and it was fine but i traded that truck in and got a 2wd Colorado with a g80 and I'm on my second rear because the locker housing exploded

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.