Cheep/Free performance upgrades - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Cheep/Free performance upgrades

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 08-13-2011, 11:15 PM   #61
1999JeepLaredo
1999 WJ 

You want a cheap mod? Take a 1/4" drill bit and drill your fuel injectors out. Puts the fuel right to the motor. Haulin azz after that.

But seriously, get a programmer if you want performance. But if you want gas mileage, I use Lucas fuel additive to clean out my system. And I've done a seafoam treatment. Cleans the upper and lower parts of the engine. Pretty spiffy. But in all honestly bro, it's a jeep, gas mileage is gonna be a problem, day or night, rain or shine

Unread 08-13-2011, 11:40 PM   #62
1999JeepLaredo
1999 WJ 

Oh and depending on how many miles, change out the fuel filter, you'd be surprised how much that actually helps out.
Unread 08-13-2011, 11:49 PM   #63
Xerxes
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wenkebach View Post
exactly

|::Sahara Owner::|
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2011, 12:51 AM   #64
Tylerzap
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Do a seafoam treatment. if its not a high output get the parts and conever. all i can think of.
Tylerzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #65
backyardjeeper
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacked View Post
I'm not sure exactly how TB spacers work better, but intake runner length does have a lot to do with low to mid range torque. How much length makes a difference I don't know. If a 1" or 2" TB spacer on a 4.0 makes a difference I couldn't say as there are other factors involved also..

But an example of long intake runner length was on the C4 Corvette Tuned Port Injection system (TPI of the mid 1980's) which had a total intake length of 17 inches and produced incredible torque at a low RPM. In fact, there was a modified system to gain more upper rpm power by shortening up the overly long intake runners. I'm pretty sure intake runner length is directly related to intake velocity at a given RPM range - longer length for low rpm and shorter length for high rpm.. The TPI long intake runners were great for low end, but sucked for upper rpm gains in power..

The intake manifold length makes a difference. The closing of the intake valve makes a pulse in the airflow ( think when you close a door in your car... It can make a puff of air out of a cracked window. That's why they tell you not to close your door hard when you have a new windshield put in because it can damage the fresh glue) that pulse bounces off the throttle body, and back into the engine, resulting in a slight forced induction effect. This only works at a certain RPM range, depending on the length of your intake manifold. Some cars have a variable length intake manifold, that changes the length according to the RPM's. Google VLIM or Variable Length Intake Manifold. BMW came out with an infinitely variable type. They stopped doing it because the gains in HP weren't enough to offset the cost. Most are two stage, meaning they have 2 lengths to choose from.

But if there's a certain RPM range you want extra power in, keeping in mind that there won't be a huge difference, you can build an intake to do so.

This throttle body spacer might do it, if I understand the physics right. Otherwise, it would be only good if your fuel mixes with your gas before the cylinders, I. E. TBI or carb.

If I'm wrong please correct me but that's the way I understand it.
..().)..().)---).). 2-speed electric taurus fan. Neon injector upgrade.
backyardjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #66
castorriver
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Does anyone know how many hp you gain from removing and bypassing the ac compressor? How about going to an electric fan?
Registered Nurse Jeep Club Member #1 (I think...)

Verse 36: And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.
castorriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #67
Maverickxeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by castorriver View Post
Does anyone know how many ho you gain from removing and bypassing the ac compressor? How about going to an electric fan?
Not enough to make it worthwhile. Well, the AC compressor probably uses a fair bit (with it running) but with it OFF, its probably about 5HP at the crank, and an electric fan may net you about 10HP at the crank.

I actually havent done either of these, but Im going by the averages seen by other vehicles.
Maverickxeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 06:55 PM   #68
castorriver
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It's on my list of things to do. The ac hasn't worked on my jeep since I got it and I'm not going to fix it so I have nothing to lose.

Verse 36: And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.
Unread 08-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #69
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverickxeo View Post
... but with it OFF, its probably about 5HP at the crank, and an electric fan may net you about 10HP at the crank.

I actually havent done either of these...
Oh, how I love the internet!
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #70
Maverickxeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Dave View Post
Oh, how I love the internet!
Ive done them, but not on a jeep, and have had some proven gains.
Maverickxeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 03:17 PM   #71
castorriver
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverickxeo

Ive done them, but not on a jeep, and have had some proven gains.
That's good enough for me.

When I had a Geo Metro I had to turn off the ac on the highway when I was accelerating to speed or pulling a long hill... Otherwise I couldn't keep up.

Unread 08-17-2012, 11:00 AM   #72
alleyoup

Ok the wife and i bought a 2007 sahara soft top.. (i have a 2010 sahara hard top)anyway when it rains the drivers seat belt inside the door frame gets wet. Can anybody tell me where it might be leaking. The top looks like its sealed but im very new too all this and we dont have a garage.
alleyoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2012, 11:56 AM   #73
Squish91

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyoup
Ok the wife and i bought a 2007 sahara soft top.. (i have a 2010 sahara hard top)anyway when it rains the drivers seat belt inside the door frame gets wet. Can anybody tell me where it might be leaking. The top looks like its sealed but im very new too all this and we dont have a garage.
check the seams, the stitching tends to pull apart overtime. I have found the best fix for it is to take a small amount of clear silicone and run it along the stitches. If its done right you wont even notice it and it keeps the water out very well.
Squish91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #74
Stud_man50
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I never thought a thread from 06' would 1. survive this long and 2. turn into talking about leaking tops 6 year later!
Stud_man50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2012, 12:47 AM   #75
gr4y
2005 TJ Wrangler 

window tint

gr4y is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.