Cheep/Free performance upgrades - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Cheep/Free performance upgrades

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank SkidTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 07-15-2009, 07:36 PM   #46
crem
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Cherokee View Post
Lighten your load. If you're not wheeling do you need all your tools, Hi-Lift, Jerry cans, water and recovery gear? Losing 100 pounds gives you about .1 second on a quarter mile, so theres your performance. It will also take less throttle (therefore less gas) to accelerate and get over hills. Less weight will also reduce strain on suspension and drivetrain components.
...that and leave the fat girlfriend at home..

crem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2009, 08:02 PM   #47
3S00W
2009 JK Wrangler 

by a JF membership, the sticker does wonders!!! It got my jeep all the way to ATL w/o ever turning the ignition!
3S00W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2009, 12:34 PM   #48
DUTCH97501

TB Boring

What about TB boring. It was free and If you have a cracked manifold the install of a header along with the free tb boring makes for a nice gain.

DUTCH97501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 03:52 AM   #49
InEmberClad
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtant View Post
Dude...don't listen to the haters...you can get a tornado off ebay for like $10. It'll make you faster AND save MPG. It's the shiznit.
I watched something on tv where they popped one of those in and put the vehicle on a dyno. Doesn't give you squat for hp and any mpg improvements you get are likely because you're losing hp as a result of decreased airflow.
InEmberClad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 09:47 AM   #50
Mystake
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davejb View Post
This is actually a common mod on Dakota's and Ram's, i did it to Dakota when I had it, it does have an effect. Haven't done it to the Jeep yet because it's too cold out!

As a member part of a Dakota/Durango forum... where it's only dakotas and durangos... I've never heard of this trick. I've been a member of that forum for some time now and I've never heard of this.

Keep in mind, I have an '01 Durango SLT+, AWD with the 5.9L

And trust me, we're all hurting for MPG on that forum
Mystake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 09:51 AM   #51
Mystake
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepguy00 View Post
Almost everything i have on my jeep is custom, i made a 2 inch spacer out of aluminum and bored it to 62mm, that made a difference with throttle response low end, that was a cheap mod for me because i got the material for free, and made it at work, but you can buy spacers online or in quadratec for around 60$, very easy to install too

Throttle Body spacers don't do squat. At least, in the magnum V8's they don't. The only purpose they would have is to give air and fuel more time to mix, aka a 2inch spacer gives fuel and air 2 more inchs of time (however fast the flow is) to mix in together.

BUT

In the Magnum V8's there is only air that goes through the throttle bodies. Therefore, no fuel is mixing. Therefore: the spacer doesn't actually allow anything to mix in and is therefore only good as a paper weight. it would do something with NOS systems where the Nitrous mixes in with the air and it can serve as a good location for the NOS to enter the air intake.... ish... I can't really explain it all that well.

I don't know about the 4.0L or the 4.2L because I haven't researched them enough. I only know this for the V8 Magnums as well as the 3.9L v6

I guess I'll find out more about the 4.2L when I go tearing into the Jeep later today!

source: I have a 5.9L Durango
Unread 09-04-2009, 10:02 PM   #52
Castr8r
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The throttle body spacer adds volume to the intake manifold plenum, giving a potentially larger volume of "air" to draw from. The results are generally of value to drag racers that are trying to eke out that last shred of speed.

I added a TB spacer when I rebuilt my 2.5 banger, and I don't really know if it helped. It didn't hurt either, so it will stay in place until the next rebuild- if I'm still alive!
Castr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2009, 10:06 PM   #53
Mystake
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castr8r View Post
The throttle body spacer adds volume to the intake manifold plenum, giving a potentially larger volume of "air" to draw from. The results are generally of value to drag racers that are trying to eke out that last shred of speed.

I added a TB spacer when I rebuilt my 2.5 banger, and I don't really know if it helped. It didn't hurt either, so it will stay in place until the next rebuild- if I'm still alive!

How does it add volume?

If the throttlebody barrel is 50mm, a 52mm spacer is bottle necked. Again, it doesn't do anything. Where does this "larger volume of air" come from? It still goes through the throttlebody. It just makes the throttlebody sit higher.
Unread 09-06-2009, 09:39 PM   #54
wbrett1027
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtant View Post
Dude...don't listen to the haters...you can get a tornado off ebay for like $10. It'll make you faster AND save MPG. It's the shiznit.
hahahahaha yeahhhhh. and i put rocks in my engine to make it go faster
wbrett1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2009, 06:43 PM   #55
gonejeepin04220
1995 XJ Cherokee 

drill some holes in the air box..put the air right to er!
gonejeepin04220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2009, 12:29 PM   #56
dsnell10
1996 ZJ 

Cheap? ya right haha. good luck with that. the cheapest mod ive done is an air intake and exhaust.
dsnell10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2009, 08:37 PM   #57
FaT00CaJuN
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Ive just read an ancient forum artifact thread. I Feel Special!!
Unread 08-07-2011, 12:44 PM   #58
Tylerzap
1998 XJ Cherokee 

This. is. dead. again. BRING IT BACK!!! has to be somthing out by now...
Tylerzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 07:40 PM   #59
Lre78hd
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well this is what I did it's easy and you actually make gas if you buy enough. I bought all the mpg increasers , filters, magnets for the fuel line, tornadoe ( this one pit me over 100% ) , g meter, etc and I added up the percent that each one adds. I'm at 135% so the way I figure it is I'm making gas. Take that bp
Lre78hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 11:47 PM   #60
wacked
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystake View Post
Throttle Body spacers don't do squat. At least, in the magnum V8's they don't. The only purpose they would have is to give air and fuel more time to mix, aka a 2inch spacer gives fuel and air 2 more inchs of time (however fast the flow is) to mix in together.
I'm not sure exactly how TB spacers work better, but intake runner length does have a lot to do with low to mid range torque. How much length makes a difference I don't know. If a 1" or 2" TB spacer on a 4.0 makes a difference I couldn't say as there are other factors involved also..

But an example of long intake runner length was on the C4 Corvette Tuned Port Injection system (TPI of the mid 1980's) which had a total intake length of 17 inches and produced incredible torque at a low RPM. In fact, there was a modified system to gain more upper rpm power by shortening up the overly long intake runners. I'm pretty sure intake runner length is directly related to intake velocity at a given RPM range - longer length for low rpm and shorter length for high rpm.. The TPI long intake runners were great for low end, but sucked for upper rpm gains in power..

wacked is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.