Cheep/Free performance upgrades - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Cheep/Free performance upgrades

Advance Adapters SYE KitsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 03-12-2007, 03:58 PM   #31
John_CJ7

go buy a prius if you want mpg. me, I live for the smell of unburned fuel spewing out the side pipes of the lifted bricks some people call jeeps.

John_CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2009, 08:02 AM   #32
RyanBum
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I gave up on this months ago!
RyanBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2009, 12:51 PM   #33
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBum View Post
I gave up on this months ago!
Oh please explain what you gave up on!! I'd wait at least till next month which is the 2 year anniverary to give up.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2009, 01:41 PM   #34
warrior_oh58d
1991 XJ Cherokee 

the best way to get the most power and gas mileage out of your jeep is to keep it maintained properly. change your plugs...cap and rotor..good wires, keep your motor oil and other fluids changed regularly....i've got a cone air filter and that seems to work pretty well...not so much for insane power upgrades but at the very least to increase the amount of air that the jeep can take if it needs it. the relocation of the intake air temp sensor seems interesting though....could be an idea
warrior_oh58d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2009, 02:42 PM   #35
RyanBum
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob View Post
Oh please explain what you gave up on!! I'd wait at least till next month which is the 2 year anniverary to give up.
I gave up on performance upgrades! Didn't even realize how old the thread was.
RyanBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2009, 07:54 PM   #36
Bigbob

This was posted a page ago.

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/IAT_sensor.html

It does actually work. Jeep figured this out in '04 or so and implemented it on the 4.0. If you insulate the intake tube it works more betterer. You can use a IAT from the newer models and just leave the threaded one in the manifold as a plug. PEP BOYS and such sells a kit to mount the new style press-in sensor. It works and is cheap. I have an '06 so it was already in the tube close to the throttle body, but I have a steel intake tube and a cowl filter. I insulated the steel tube with header wrap, but would like to add more insulation to keep it all as cool as possible.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2009, 07:57 PM   #37
theclark25
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i dont no about those tornados ive heard nothing good about um
theclark25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2009, 04:36 PM   #38
jim92
1987 MJ Comanche 

get mad power out of the 4.0l

go on hesco.us they have aluminum heads, high flow water pumps, air inductions cams etc.

dont get a throttle body spacer or a tornado fuel saver cause you cant have the air going in a vortex b4 it hits the combustion chamber or it will lead to some problems

i sudjest an air induction ,that will wake ur 4.0 up
jim92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2009, 05:25 PM   #39
mattman320
1995 YJ Wrangler 

haha best free thing to do to a Jeep is to take the carpet out and top off, save some weight, do'nt worry about aerodynamics, Jeep lost that battle in WW1
Unread 02-07-2009, 10:24 AM   #40
CreepyCrawler95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

change spark plugs, flush fuel delivery system, use synthetic oil and oil booster products, use high grade reg. unleaded such as 106. i get 27 mpgh and 24 mpg in normal driving. high grade unleaded is expensive but it is worth it when on long runs and trails. if u have a YJ fix the fuel hose prob in the gas tank. its really 20 gal. not 15. build a spare vertical 20 gal reserve tank in the back with delivery system (w/ on/off switch) from trunk to tank under rearend. build an intake of ur own for 10 to 40 bux (may as well build a snorkel while ur at it). if you can pwer shift without the clutch (i wouldnt reccommend that as it will !@#$ ur tranny if you dont time it rt). i dont know of anything else other than swapping turbo dieel 4 cyl. in ($$$$$)
CreepyCrawler95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2009, 01:56 PM   #41
CCJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Wow. 3 years later, this thread is still going strong.
CCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2009, 04:19 PM   #42
corndogduff

No it's not it died almost 2 years ago
UT Jeepcrew #13
NIGHTCREW
corndogduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2009, 09:06 AM   #43
TexasX
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I heard clocking Flux Capacitor 2deg. East will get 5hp 6.5 on a cold day.
TexasX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2009, 09:52 PM   #44
cuzsis
1995 ZJ 

What is a tornado? o_O (The non-Oz kind?)

I've noticed that replacing my horrible air filter and running the "engine" cleaner stuff through it gave me more power. But you don't want to run your engine on that. Mostly, it was a way for my jeep to tell me it's time to change the spark plugs.

Just keep up with the general maintenance. I haven't heard of anything to increase power/mpg (it is a Jeep after all.) But you can minimize the power/mpg that you will *lose* with normal driving wear/tear.

/note to self. Check thread "use by date" first!
cuzsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2009, 09:48 PM   #45
schulze
1998 XJ Cherokee 

get a bigger exhaust pipping
schulze is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.