Cheep/Free performance upgrades - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Cheep/Free performance upgrades

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-05-2007, 08:02 AM   #16
ryobi

Haaahaha. That's funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtant
Dude...don't listen to the haters...you can get a tornado off ebay for like $10. It'll make you faster AND save MPG. It's the shiznit.

ryobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2007, 12:39 PM   #17
Barchack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtant
Dude...don't listen to the haters...you can get a tornado off ebay for like $10. It'll make you faster AND save MPG. It's the shiznit.
every review that i've read from a trusting source says that the tornado actually hurts gas mileage and performance.

I remember when jeepforum was ugly...
Barchack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2007, 05:49 PM   #18
eclipse27
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barchack
every review that i've read from a trusting source says that the tornado actually hurts gas mileage and performance.
it is the dumbest thing first of all. Second of all, without extra "fuel", theres no purpose of "sucking in extra air".... Stock engines suck in more air then they need. Its not doing anything. Same with those cheap "10 chips" you pop in your sensor and it adds 20hp. IT DOESN"T WORK. Dont waste your money.
eclipse27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2007, 05:53 PM   #19
AlaskaTJ

the point of something like the Tornado(which doesn't work) is atomization, not increase in airflow. The more you can atomize the fuel(which is helped by the swirling of the air intake charge), the more efficiently it burns.

But the tornado doesn't help, because the head design is almost always the limiting factory in airflow characteristics...and any swirling the tornado may or may not introduce to the intake is canceled out by the head porting.
AlaskaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2007, 08:09 AM   #20
360wrangler

cheap no!!! get a cc with a high limit and go nuts!!
360wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2007, 04:12 PM   #21
pendleton
2002 TJ Wrangler 

A GM small block is relatively cheap!
pendleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2007, 11:29 AM   #22
littleman66
2001 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/IAT_sensor.html

claims to make horsepower for pretty much free
homemade rear bumper with hitch, two recovery points
dual battery. 1750 watt inverter
Dukes of Hazard/Dixieland horn. Neoprene seat covers
littleman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2007, 03:34 PM   #23
Xtant
Currently Depolyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barchack
Oops...forgot the "[sarcasm]...[/sarcasm]"

Well, in the mustang world there's a saying: You can have fast, cheap, reliable...but only 2 out 3 at the same time.
Xtant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2007, 04:58 PM   #24
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by deermanjoe
What are some cheep/free upgrades I can do for the 4.0 jeep? Example Engine, Air cleaner, airbox.
If your air box has a air horn that looks like a trumpet pull it off. It just twists off. You can feel a difference, not much, but free. If you drive in a lot of water don't do it.

Here's an interesting read. Not more power, but better MPG. I may try this for kicks to see if it is true.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...ghlight=intake
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2007, 10:55 AM   #25
Davejb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman66
http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/IAT_sensor.html

claims to make horsepower for pretty much free
This is actually a common mod on Dakota's and Ram's, i did it to Dakota when I had it, it does have an effect. Haven't done it to the Jeep yet because it's too cold out!
Davejb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2007, 03:02 PM   #26
firejeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=lj_wil]Tighten the flux capacitors [/QUO
Unread 02-18-2007, 04:35 PM   #27
JeepBro5
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob
Here's an interesting read. Not more power, but better MPG. I may try this for kicks to see if it is true.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...ghlight=intake
Wow... people get real excited about gas milage. If that were an actual in-person conversation I think someone would have died.
It would be nice to see some actual dyno numbers on that waste exhaust heat setup though.
JeepBro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2007, 07:02 PM   #28
Jeepguy00

Throttle Body Spacer

Almost everything i have on my jeep is custom, i made a 2 inch spacer out of aluminum and bored it to 62mm, that made a difference with throttle response low end, that was a cheap mod for me because i got the material for free, and made it at work, but you can buy spacers online or in quadratec for around 60$, very easy to install too
Jeepguy00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2007, 11:43 PM   #29
gregs887
Up your butt Jobu

1995 ZJ 

go easy on the skinny pedal
gregs887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2007, 12:08 AM   #30
Muddy Cherokee
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Lighten your load. If you're not wheeling do you need all your tools, Hi-Lift, Jerry cans, water and recovery gear? Losing 100 pounds gives you about .1 second on a quarter mile, so theres your performance. It will also take less throttle (therefore less gas) to accelerate and get over hills. Less weight will also reduce strain on suspension and drivetrain components.
Muddy Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.