Cheap tools - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Cheap tools

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #16
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Found that the Stanley brand stuff is between HF and Kobalt/Husky. Plus, you can find Stanley stuff on the clearance racks at Wal-Mart all the time.

I actually bought a bunch of it when KMart bought Sears and started selling Craftsman there. They cleared out all their other tools dirt cheap.

The Kobalt 72 tooth ratchets are nice though. Think they're around $25 each. So smooth...

Unread 09-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #17
HAYSHAKER170
1998 TJ Wrangler 

When trying to warranty a 1/4" drive ratchet at Sears, I was told the policy of replacing with new tools ended 4yrs ago. They now use "refurbished" tools as the replacement.
HAYSHAKER170 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2013, 07:26 AM   #18
bobjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAYSHAKER170 View Post
When trying to warranty a 1/4" drive ratchet at Sears, I was told the policy of replacing with new tools ended 4yrs ago. They now use "refurbished" tools as the replacement.
I recently needed a replacement ratchet, but they were out. They gave me a rebuild kit to do it myself.

Craftsman doesn't make quality tools anymore, but they're ok for the backyard mechanic. I would not go any cheaper. Stay away from Harbor Freight, Husky, or any of the auto parts store tools.
Unread 09-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #19
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAYSHAKER170 View Post
yes. they will only replace with a new one if yours is beyond repair and they are completely out of a rebuilt replacement.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2013, 10:18 PM   #20
booya1967
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Lowes replaces Kobalt, have returned about 12 torx sockets.
Unread 10-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #21
Bigshankhank
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Best way I have found to save money on tools is to properly organize them. I have repeatedly purchased duplicate sockets, feeler gauges, combo wrenches, drill bits, you name it because I have a bad habit of tossing everything into a drawer in my tool boxes. I bought one of those monster 1000 piece tool kits from Sears fifteen years ago but nothing came in a case or holder, so it all ended up haphazardly in one of my two six drawer boxes. I have gotten better, having bought the 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 socket holders for both SAE and metric, even separating the 6 and 12 points, making drill bit holders and using magnetic strips on the back wall on my work bench to give everything else a place to hang. Plus I keep a separate set of tools in my Jeep so that I don't rob the toolbox for a common sized socket and never put it back. I do the same for my bikes, they each have their own toolkit (not the factory junk ones) just in case.
As for brand, my big tool kit was obviously craftsman but since they stopped their famous no questions asked replacement policy I have been slowly replacing broken stuff with either Matco or Snap on, although the craftsman has held up well enough that I doubt I'll live long enough to have to replace everything.
Bigshankhank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #22
dcook35
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Never put a cheater pipe on your socket wrench to get more leverage! The internal workings in the wrench head are designed for a certain amount of force to be put on them. By increasing those forces due to the lengthening of the torque arm (cheater pipe) you may damage the gears and such or the wrench will fail prematurely. Use the right tool for the job regardless of the price and they will last a life time.
dcook35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 08:38 PM   #23
Texanav8r
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcook35 View Post
Never put a cheater pipe on your socket wrench to get more leverage! The internal workings in the wrench head are designed for a certain amount of force to be put on them. By increasing those forces due to the lengthening of the torque arm (cheater pipe) you may damage the gears and such or the wrench will fail prematurely. Use the right tool for the job regardless of the price and they will last a life time.
Best $10 you'll ever spend:
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-driv...bar-67932.html

(and you can use a pipe if you REALLY need to, but you'll break the bolt or round the head before that ever happens!)
Unread 10-26-2013, 06:36 AM   #24
responder
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have had enough cuts, bruises and scars over the years from using cheap tools that my hands look and feel like crap. My addition to this thread will be this:

Go and buy the BEST tools that you can AFFORD. Get some quality stuff in your toolbox, and as mentioned, keep them organized and you will end up being much happier in the end. Having said that, I do own some very inexpensive tools but even those are now fewer and fewer. A couple issues with cheap tools that I see is that they don't feel good when you pick them up, there is something not ergonomically right to them. The other, they will let you down when you need them the most!

I am not saying you need to go and buy the whole truck from XXX (Snap-On, Mac, etc), but a few quality pieces of what you use the most is a good place to start. If you want to go the "less expensive route", look at Craigs List for some used quality tools. They may still be more money but in the end, a quality piece will last you a lifetime.

It is tough to justify the expense on tools sometimes, but trust me, your body will thank you in the end.
responder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #25
nismo_2005
1995 YJ Wrangler 

There are very few harbor freight tools that I trust. My tool box at work is made up of some craftman but a lot of it is snap on/blue point a few of my cressent wrenches are cressent brand. You get what you pay for. I say buy the best you can afford and only get the more expensive tools as you need them.
By the way I work at a auto parts manufacturing plant working on very larg machinery for a living so I put my tools to the test. Trust me cheap tools hurt.
nismo_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #26
WNUNEZJR
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you cant afford snap on buy blue point there the same tool same warranty and a lil cheaper.open a account with the tool truck and pay it off.
WNUNEZJR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #27
nismo_2005
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNUNEZJR View Post
If you cant afford snap on buy blue point there the same tool same warranty and a lil cheaper.open a account with the tool truck and pay it off.
I have snap on and blue point. I would not call them the same but very close. The snap ons seem slightly better but not enough to warrant the extra cost except for the cases were the cost is already close.
Unread 11-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #28
nagel
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvnwheel View Post
Get a length (10"/12"/etc..) of pipe and slide onto handle of your ratchet. This will give you the extra leverage that you need without having to purchase the longer socket handle.
I have a 36" length of pipe I call "the persuasion bar". But I will caution you to use it in combination with a breaker bar, not a ratchet (the ratcheting mechanism isn't designed for that kind of leverage).

Sears is not bad but be warned, lifetime warranty does NOT apply to air tools, and most that are motorized, its mainly for sockets and socket sets, screw drivers, and non moving tools. I broke an air ratchet and it wasn't covered, just an FYI.

Harbor Freight, the good and the bad. I admit I do shop there, there are some good deals to be had, but there are also some fools to be had when you buy junk. Simply put, google the item first and see others impressions of it. Some things work out ok (I bought a horizontal / vertical bandsaw for like $239, and after a few tweaks, its as good as a $600 one from northern tool). Lots of the tools are chinese made and tolerances are less than favorable, but if you don't mind a shim here and a trim there to make it work right, its a sure way to save a few bucks.

But in the end, the old saying is true, you DO get what you pay for. It either lasts longer, works better, or usually both. But some lower priced tools may get the job done as well, albeit with a smashed knuckle or two..
nagel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #29
nismo_2005
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagel View Post

I have a 36" length of pipe I call "the persuasion bar". But I will caution you to use it in combination with a breaker bar, not a ratchet (the ratcheting mechanism isn't designed for that kind of leverage).

Sears is not bad but be warned, lifetime warranty does NOT apply to air tools, and most that are motorized, its mainly for sockets and socket sets, screw drivers, and non moving tools. I broke an air ratchet and it wasn't covered, just an FYI.

Harbor Freight, the good and the bad. I admit I do shop there, there are some good deals to be had, but there are also some fools to be had when you buy junk. Simply put, google the item first and see others impressions of it. Some things work out ok (I bought a horizontal / vertical bandsaw for like $239, and after a few tweaks, its as good as a $600 one from northern tool). Lots of the tools are chinese made and tolerances are less than favorable, but if you don't mind a shim here and a trim there to make it work right, its a sure way to save a few bucks.

But in the end, the old saying is true, you DO get what you pay for. It either lasts longer, works better, or usually both. But some lower priced tools may get the job done as well, albeit with a smashed knuckle or two..
I would agree with everything ib this post.
Unread 11-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #30
apaTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm a college student and I don't make much money at my part time job. I have a descent socket wrench and like 8 craftsmen sockets, and the rest are mix and match of different cheaper brands. When I need a tool I'm only gonna use once or not very often, I will go to harbor freight and get it for 9.99. They usually get the job done and when they break you just go buy another if you need to. But main tools like sockets and wrenches I would recommend descent quality for sure.
apaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.