Cheap tools - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Cheap tools

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
Bhamshooter
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Cheap tools

Wasn't sure where to put this, but figured the Cheap Tricks section applied the best.

Do y'all use cheap tools on your Jeep? I have an old socket set that I've used around the house from time to time, but I broke my 5/8 socket trying to remove an old crusty step bar mount the other day. I think it is a Sharper Image set. That's my first problem. The second is that the socket handle is pretty short, and I couldn't get any leverage. Probably wouldn't have mattered since the actual socket was crap.

But I went and bought a longer socket handle, and a deepwell 5/8 socket, and it popped the bolt right off last night. I had been straining with the old one, putting everything I had into it, and it just wouldn't budge. A good pull with this one and it loosened right up.

Which leads me to my question. The longer socket driver I bought was a 13 inch handle. It was $16 at Napa. I asked if they had anything longer, thinking something beefier and longer would come in handy in the future. He had a 15 inch handled version. The price was $79. Now I know we'd all like to add 2 inches but not at 5X the cost. So at what point do you sacrifice quality for price?

And I was buying a Torx bit to remove my bumpers, and figured I'd buy a set. It was like $180. I just bought the bit I needed for the bumper, and one of those swiss army torx sets that was $10 and has all the smaller sizes in it.

Bhamshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 05:58 AM   #2
drvnwheel
2013 JK Wrangler 

Get a length (10"/12"/etc..) of pipe and slide onto handle of your ratchet. This will give you the extra leverage that you need without having to purchase the longer socket handle.
drvnwheel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 08:32 AM   #3
Bhamshooter
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvnwheel View Post
Get a length (10"/12"/etc..) of pipe and slide onto handle of your ratchet. This will give you the extra leverage that you need without having to purchase the longer socket handle.
Yeah, if I had one already I would have done that, but I figured I was going to need a nicer socket wrench anyways. The one I had was cheap crap. This one is a good 5 inches longer than the old one, and I think it will handle most anything I need to do with it. If not, at least I have a "good" one to put a piece of pipe on in the future.
Unread 09-13-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
JeepCK
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvnwheel View Post
That always works out great.

But even so, you may want to get a good set of tools. I used to always buy the less expensive or cheapest option and whatever it is usually brakes or frustrates me because something doesn't work well or break. Then I'd have to go back and buy the good stuff anyway.

You always need to correct tool for the job and better tools always make things easier.

I mean, we all have $20-30K vehicles here. Why get a great vehicle and work on it with cheap tools?

Treat yourself and go to Sears and get yourself a good socket set. You will be very pleased with your purchase for years to come.
2009 3.7L Laredo Black | Two-Toned Leather | RER Nav/DVD/BA System | Viper alarm | HID's in the lows and fogs | Westin Brush Guard | Tinted Tails | Custom Blue LED Interior/Rear Hatch Lights - White Rock Lights| Rough Country 1.5" Spacers | General Grabber 255/70r17 -- Island Beach State Park 4x4 Mobile Sportsfishing Permit --
JeepCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #5
Leffnasty
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Being in college, my first choice was obviously the cheaper tools. I found out very quickly that they were not going to work.

For my first experience, I tried to replace the headlights with a bit that came on one of those big multitools that has a lot of sizes. Over an hour and some bloody knuckles later, I had them in. Just recently I changed the headlights on my friend's jeep while I was home, with a quality tool. 10 painless minutes.
I have also had the torx screw completely strip out the bit I was using on several occasions. I now have a hardened titanium torx bit set.
From broken handles, to cracked and stripped sockets, I toiled over crap tools for far too long.

Honestly, if you are a jeep owner - invest in quality tools. Yes, they are pricey. But when you get the job done in 5 minutes or less with no arm cramping, you will thank yourself.
Leffnasty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #6
moses21
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhamshooter View Post
Wasn't sure where to put this, but figured the Cheap Tricks section applied the best.

Do y'all use cheap tools on your Jeep? I have an old socket set that I've used around the house from time to time, but I broke my 5/8 socket trying to remove an old crusty step bar mount the other day. I think it is a Sharper Image set. That's my first problem. The second is that the socket handle is pretty short, and I couldn't get any leverage. Probably wouldn't have mattered since the actual socket was crap.

But I went and bought a longer socket handle, and a deepwell 5/8 socket, and it popped the bolt right off last night. I had been straining with the old one, putting everything I had into it, and it just wouldn't budge. A good pull with this one and it loosened right up.

Which leads me to my question. The longer socket driver I bought was a 13 inch handle. It was $16 at Napa. I asked if they had anything longer, thinking something beefier and longer would come in handy in the future. He had a 15 inch handled version. The price was $79. Now I know we'd all like to add 2 inches but not at 5X the cost. So at what point do you sacrifice quality for price?

And I was buying a Torx bit to remove my bumpers, and figured I'd buy a set. It was like $180. I just bought the bit I needed for the bumper, and one of those swiss army torx sets that was $10 and has all the smaller sizes in it.
Just go buy craftsman tools. Ya there expensive, but they are made great and have a lifetime warranty
moses21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #7
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

if it is a tool i use often, such as a socket set or wrenchs i get something decent. usually craftsman due to the lifetime warranty.

if it is something i buy to use only once, or very rarely then i will buy the cheap one. I figure why risk something breaking when with a cheap tool on something i use every weekend.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #8
LV2DRFT
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Craftsman is the best bang for your buck. My father in law uses Snapon and Matco and I really wish I could afford them too, but he suggested Craftsman for decent enough tools on a budget.

I used to have this garbage chinese socket (actually 2 of them) that we've had for general household use in the family. All it took was one fender removal on my TJ to eat through both of them. Nothing more frustrating than having a half disassembled (nondriveable) car and broken tools. So I got on my bicycle and finally gave in to something a little better. The Craftsman socket was only about $20 but its a lot better. It's taken some beatings and has seen about 20 rusty stubborn bolts and has been whacked that many times with a hammer and a pipe over it. No problems yet.
LV2DRFT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #9
MarlboroWrangle

Harbor Freight for me
MarlboroWrangle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #10
Bhamshooter
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlboroWrangle View Post
Harbor Freight for me
That reminds me of what my wife's grandpa told me. We were asking him his opinions on a home renovation we did, and specifically about a Sawzall and nail guns. He said go to Harbor Freight, get the cheapest Sawzall knockoff brand they have, run it until it dies, then go buy another one. He said he uses them quite a bit and usually gets a couple of years out of one. And the little bit of new framing we were doing, he suggested a big *** hammer. Both worked out quite well.
Unread 09-23-2013, 09:53 PM   #11
SgtMac
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Sears has started replacing broken tools with rebuilt tools, the last 3 times I returned broken ratchets they gave me obviously used rebuilt ones, when I showed the manager my split knuckles from their last replacement ratchet I was given a new one off the wall instead of a rebuilt model from under the counter. I still have a few Snap-ons but I started buying Kobalt after using a couple different wrenches and sockets, if you register them you get theft replacement also. But yes carry quality tools in your jeep.
SgtMac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2013, 04:36 PM   #12
xtremzj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses21 View Post
Just go buy craftsman tools. Ya there expensive, but they are made great and have a lifetime warranty
CRAPsmen is expensive?

You guys clearly dont work on cars for a living. When it comes to tools you get what you pay for. Craftsmen is a good back of a backup.

1300 bucks....
QuirkWorks Sponsored #44 subaru rally car
CHRYSLER CERTIFIED MASTER TECH. PM IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS.
xtremzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2013, 08:40 PM   #13
somedanglurker
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremzj View Post

CRAPsmen is expensive?

You guys clearly dont work on cars for a living. When it comes to tools you get what you pay for. Craftsmen is a good back of a backup.

1300 bucks....
Did you miss the thread title ?
somedanglurker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2013, 11:06 PM   #14
jjvw
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedanglurker View Post

Did you miss the thread title ?
No. He's right. This is our only option. Using anything less than the absolute best all the time will only result in the catastrophe failure of everything.
Unread 09-25-2013, 12:09 PM   #15
Texanav8r
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhamshooter
The second is that the socket handle is pretty short, and I couldn't get any leverage... I had been straining with the old one, putting everything I had into it, and it just wouldn't budge. A good pull with this one and it loosened right up. Which leads me to my question. The longer socket driver I bought was a 13 inch handle. It was $16 at Napa. I asked if they had anything longer, thinking something beefier and longer would come in handy in the future. He had a 15 inch handled version. The price was $79. Now I know we'd all like to add 2 inches but not at 5X the cost. So at what point do you sacrifice quality for price? And I was buying a Torx bit to remove my bumpers, and figured I'd buy a set. It was like $180. I just bought the bit I needed for the bumper, and one of those swiss army torx sets that was $10 and has all the smaller sizes in it.
I bought the 25" breaker bar (1/2" drive) from Harbor freight for $12, and it has been one of my best purchases ever. It's not a ratchet type, but works great for that initial bolt seize break. Once loose, switch to your regular ratchet driver and you're good to go.

I'll echo the comment about good sockets too though and would HIGHLY suggest you try to buy only 6 point sockets. Much less likely to tear up bolts.

Right now, my socket set weak points are the step-up / step-down adapters used to switch from 1/2" drive down to 3/8" or 1/4" drive sockets. I tend to buy only what I need when I need it though to keep short term costs down.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.